Archinect
anchor

Running out of options

Pegleg

I live in a medium sized east coast city that has its fair share of architecture firms.  I am currently working at a firm on a contract basis until the end of the year.  I found out recently that they will most likely not take me on any further due to a lack of work.  Before this gig I was working somewhere else for 8 months until I was laid off due to lack of work (I know I really know how to pick them).  I was fortunate that I was only out of work for two weeks.  Before all this I returned to town after going to grad school elsewhere.  My job search after school took 3 months, and during this period I flooded to market with my resume and portfolio (I ended up mailing out 45 portfolios at this time). In the end I had several job offers, and ended turning down opportunities at larger corporate firms that always seem to be hiring.   So my question is how does one deal with such situation,  most firms already have my resume and portfolio from my last search.  Is it strange to apply to firms that gave you an offer previously. I feel like I may have burned all the bridges in this town and it may be time to move elsewhere.  Plus I am beginning to feel that all this moving around is starting to look bad. 

Dec 7, 11 8:58 am
phld21

I'm not too experienced in these matters, but I don't think firms will judge you too harshly for moving around. They should understand that finding long term employment in this market is difficult.  I'm curious to see others answer your question about how to approach firms that you already turned down. I imagine you could write a letter with an updated resume and work samples. 

Dec 7, 11 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
sajanpummer

@Pegleg, Could you please let me know how you are seeking a job? I am also from a east coast city and finding it hard to find a job.

Dec 7, 11 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

Just e-mail your last point of contact and ask them if they are still looking to bring anyone on.  It can't hurt.  You might get another interview with them and start the process over, or they'll just say no.  As long as you didn't tell them to piss off when you turned down the offer, they're not likely to hold it against you.

Having had interviews and having made a few contacts would actually put you in a better position than people still trying to break through.

You're not a lost cause.  Far from it.

Dec 7, 11 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: