Archinect
anchor

Berkeley Binding

guiggster

I talked to the arch department at berkeley and asked about getting my portfolio back. She offered some suggestions but then said "but you know, we really want something disposable. Thats why we ask for only 12 pages stapled in one corner...so we can dispose of it afterwards." How many people are stapling 12 pages together for Berkeley? Is it better to show that I took into consideration their preferences? Or is it better to make the portfolio look the best it can with a cover and binding? What would/are you guys doing?

Dec 8, 05 6:06 pm
A Center for Ants?

i'm definitely not. i never intended on retrieving any of mine. i'll just keep an extra copy or two for myself in the end...

why short change your portfolio? at the very least you know you won't get rejected cause you were too cheap/lazy to do a decent job.

Dec 8, 05 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

that's not to say you will get rejected guig... i was just illustrating a point. it'd just be silly if one were to be rejected. they'd wonder about that staple for a long time.

Dec 8, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

i'm binding mine the same way i bound the rest. I have some pages that sort of read as a two page spread, and stapling/ loose pages don't really allow for that.

I think it is better to present the portfolio the way it was originally designed.

Dec 8, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

Those are my thoughts. The lady just sounded annoyed on the phone, like, "THATs why we ask for just 12 pages stapled in ONE corner" like she was trying to make a point that they ask for it that way for a certain reason. But Im not going to pay it any mind. Why work on a portfolio just to have it read differently in the end because the pages separate diagonally.

Dec 8, 05 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

that's two of us who won't follow instructions - now if we can get a few more to join the revolution we'll be set. good luck on your apps.

Dec 8, 05 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

Or else it'll just make it easier for the admissions board to quickly weed through the 800 portfolios they'll be getting. "Right. Just get rid of all the ones without the staple, and let's get started."

Dec 8, 05 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

maybe i'll throw a staple in the corner of my cover, for the chance that it might confuse them. "well, it has a staple, so i guess we can look at it."

Dec 8, 05 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
sammyboy77

I went to berkeley, and reviewed portfolios as a student representative two years in a row. put in the time, bind them, give them the love. I'm not going to say it increases your odds of acceptance, but architects love well made things don't they.

Dec 8, 05 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

I think I'll just take the binding out of it and send it to them along with my hole punched portfolio and a stapler. Then they can choose. I might let them choose the order the pages should go too.

Might as well give them a crayon and let them decide a title. I think I got something going on here.

Dec 9, 05 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Does greentoid Berkeley recycle or really just dispose of it?

Dec 9, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
wilday

why stop there guiggster, maybe some blank pages so they can make their own projects for you too. maybe i'll try that instead of actually finishing my portfolio...

Dec 9, 05 2:04 am  · 
 · 

i bound my berkeley portfolio w/ a spiral too. i said nay to the staple idea (which i think i read on their website). my pages read as a two-page spread and a staple would just make it unreadable.
also, i don't know if they toss them, but i visited berkeley in may and they had a HUGE box of portfolios that visitors could look at. they were of accepted students though, so who knows what they do with the rejects.

Dec 9, 05 9:27 am  · 
 · 
skeerd

8888, when you visited berkeley, were the portfolios all stapled? i'm guessing that they were bound in various ways. personally, i'm using spiral binding as well.

Dec 10, 05 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

skeerd a lot of them were stapled. some were bound with a ribbon or something. some of them also looked like the department had taken apart the original binding and then stapled them.

Dec 11, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
skeerd

thanks

on the berkeley website it says they prefer it stapled or clipped but accept flat binding or spiral binding less than 1/2 inch diameter

Dec 11, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

What's their deal, is it just so it will lay flat or not get intertwined with other bindings? Is it going to put them in a bad mood if they have to rip the binding off another portfolio? Well, too late now, I sent it. I realized that I didn't send my resume. Do you think I should send it separately, or is it unnecessary?

Dec 11, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

i would send it if the information isn't in the personal history. it may help put the personal history and statement in context. i was debating that too, but i figure it can't hurt.

Dec 11, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
wilday

i'm sending mine with a wire binding, if i ever finish it. i figure that if i don't get in because of a binding technicality, then i probably won't be happy at that school anyway. after all, it is mainly professors that review the portfolios...

Dec 12, 05 1:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: