Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Strengths/Weaknesses...

BBetty

In assembling my graduate applications' portfolio, I became a little nervous about my lack of high quality renderings and high tech work. My B.S. in architecture focused heavily on sketching and theory and we lacked certain facilities/curriculum such as a 3d printer (didn't even get a laser cutter until my last year) and advanced digital courses. I'm strong by hand and I've worked graphic design since I graduated so my layout/typography/narrative are solid. I also pick up software quickly when I need/have the time to use it. My question is less about will the lack of such work hurt my portfolio (my creative process and potential are conveyed thoroughly), and more about whether or not I should try to explain, in my essay perhaps, what kind of work my undergraduate environment fostered. I am applying to schools where my work looks nothing like the stuff coming out, such as Sci-ARC and Penn, specifically to balance the education I've received and push myself in directions that I have not been challenged.

Thanks for any advice in advance..

Dec 2, 11 5:57 am
Quentin

I see nothing wrong if you have nice hand drawing skills. Show your best work. I would imagine amazine drawings look better by hand than the computer. I wouldn't worry too much. Hand drawings are sexy.

Dec 2, 11 7:38 am  · 
 · 
snail

You could mention something in your essay explaining that you are curious about/open to exploring that area - basically to clarify that you didn't do digital work yet because you couldn't rather than because you didn't want to. But if your work is good, which it sounds like it is, then I wouldn't worry very much about it.

Dec 3, 11 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: