Archinect
anchor

falling asleep at work

we'll, i've had some sleeping problems as of recent months, and the occasional head nod is inevitable - I was just wondering has anyone actually been caught by your employer falling asleep at work (or just straight passed out?) before, and if so, what were the consequences?

Nov 29, 05 10:58 pm
Hasselhoff

I used to work in a museum and I would go down into the basement, lay some cardboard out on the floor in this little fort that I made and catch about 20 minutes. I almost got caught once. My boss came down looking for me because I was supposed to be down there doing something. But luckily his footsteps and turning on of the light woke me up. I don't think he had a clue. Actually I did fall asleep at my desk once and this old dude walked in on me, but he just laughed. That was a pretty sweet job.

Nov 29, 05 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
lilbuddy

Methinks the inevitable truth of an office is that everyone is really sitting around thinking about where the ideal place to pass out is. For me its a special little place in the conference room closet. I don't know about the rest of you though.

Nov 29, 05 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
tect75

its encouraged here. tired? kick back, put your head back and nod off for 20 min. bosses do it everyday around 1 or 2. i could never do it since i would be out for 2 hrs min.

Nov 30, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
ochona

i did a summer internship in a firm where i had a cubicle and a chair with a tall back. i used to sit at my computer and take little 5-min catnaps because i would be out till 2 or 3 in the morning most nights. i didn't do much anyway so it was no big deal. most of the time my bosses were out on sites anyway

nowadays i'm way too busy to sleep, either at work or at home

Nov 30, 05 9:59 am  · 
 · 
gruen

only fell asleep once, but while asleep, I typed the letter D for over 20 pages straight. What does this mean!?!

Nov 30, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Thanks, gruen. That was my first laugh in days.

When I was a kid, I worked at a lumber yard. Bundles of insulation stacked in the corner of the mezzanine were pretty good (warm and quiet too).

Nov 30, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
ret

daily nap in my car in the parking lot (covered)....

Nov 30, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Once when working at an office over the summer I turned around the corner into a different pod of desks and tripped over the one of the principles who was sleeping under his desk / drawing board. Apparently Tom did it often and everybody just new.

Tom was the recently divorced european partner in the mostly male office who was good looking and who regularly discusssed his evenings of wine, women and song. Very funny guy ( think steve martin as the wild and crazy playboy type ) Proobably teh best office environment I have ever worked in although I know many would cringe, they did good work, got paid well, worked hard and had fun.

Nov 30, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
knock

yes, now that i think about it, the crappiest task that i've ever had at a firm actually included the napping benefit - over a summer intership my roomate and I had after our 3rd year sent us for a few weeks into a an unfinished, leaky basement of an old brick building about a block away from our office where one of us napped while the other sifted through and reorganized years of missfiled drawings, just dreaming about the hour where the tides would turn while still trying to sho away the hangover.

Nov 30, 05 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

one of the architects at the office this summer was telling me about when one of their past interns fell asleep sitting up in his chair.. he said the guy looked so tired that they didn't even bother waking him up and he slept for hours. they were pretty cool to work for there.

Dec 1, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

a few weeks back during midterms i had a pin up on a monday, so i stayed up all night getting things done saturday and sunday...
went into work monday morning and passed straight out by about 9am...
fortunately my boss was really cool about it, he came up and tapped my shoulder, asked what was wrong and then told me i could go home and sleep if i needed to...
i took him up on that offer

Dec 1, 05 1:11 am  · 
 · 
upside

fell asleep at my desk after last st pat's day, didnt get any sleep and was still pissed, still in the same clothes as the day before, the hangover started to hit me at about 2pm. i passed out on my keyboard, our whole office is open plan. i wasnt woken up and there as no mention the next day. i realised on the bus ride home that i still reeked of the black stuff. seedy.

Dec 1, 05 1:43 am  · 
 · 
surface

In my old office, I think that most of us at one time or another passed out in the Eames recliner when suffering from headache. Including my boss, including a client, including me. That is why the office had a comfy chair.

Dec 1, 05 5:22 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

I hate passing out on my key board, so when i'm bout to pass out, i get up and i leave and i tell my boss that i'm to tired to be in the office and i will not produce anything.
He gives me a weird resignation look and knows there's nothing he can do about it because i WILL go home and sleep.

Dec 1, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 
rutger

I never fell asleep at work, but i did at the hairdresser after a deadline. I just kept dozing off when she was cutting my hair, both of us pretended we didn't notice.

Dec 1, 05 10:25 am  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Well when a chronic work sleeper was sound asleep sitting up in his chair a principal took his picture and emailed it to everyone. Its a running joke, everyone knows he falls asleep at work a lot, at least it provides some amusement.

Dec 1, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 

at my last job i was project manager on a project with an impending deadline...one of my coworkers (that was CAD monkeying for me) fell asleep at his computer...sitting upright with his hand on the mouse...if you didn't look closely enough you would never have known that he was asleep...i gave him the benefit of the doubt for a few minutes thinking that maybe he was just "resting his eyes"...after no movement for about 5 minutes i shot him in the side of the head...with a rubber band from across the office...he nearly fell out of his chair and had no idea what hit him...he never would have known if i could have stopped laughing...

Dec 1, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
tsq

gruen 20 pages of 'Z's would've been more apt.

I had a summer job once working for a one-man-outfit architect. When he was out of the office I'd regularly have a snooze on a desk or table, he caught me once, and just laughed and said he wish he could sleep that easily.
I would often fall asleep in college lectures too, but usually following an all-nighter to finish off a project. On one such occasion I was awoken in a deserted ground floor level lecture room by classmates throwing pebbles at me from outside the window. I'd been asleep for half an hour after the lecture finished.

Dec 1, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

While I haven't fallen asleep at work I did fall asleep in college. Unfortunately it wasn't a lecture hall but a class of 12 people. I think i only made it about 15 minutes into the class and passed out on my laptop. I woke up at the end as people were leaving. Highly embarassing, considereding it was a 2 hour class.

Dec 1, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

once in a lecture room where my history of architecture class, a kid had passed out in an earlier class, and managed to keep sleeping all through ours.

Dec 1, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

At RISD the history lecture was in a big, dark hall with comfy seats. People frequently fell asleep and took naps after all nighters. Once one of the lecturers stopped asked someone to, "Wake up the girl next to you. Get a pencil in her hand, she'll be alright."

Toady that woman is the mother of my child, true story.

Another lecture was stopped once by very loud snoring. Very funny stuff when even the prof on stage could no longer ignore the snoring and had to stop and ask someone to wake the snorer up and send them back to the dorm.

Dec 1, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
eddieP

once worked at a very corporate very open - nowhere to hide kinda place and the guy that sat next to me was actually snoring when the owner of the company passed by...surprisingly the owner didnt really say much and didnt even bother to wake the guy up.

not only was he snoring but he had headphones on and was making no attempt to hide what he was doing - really funny stuff. this is also the same guy who would bring boiled fish in a tupperware container to work and nibble on it througout the day.

needless to say very shortly after the snoring incident my 'podmate' was no more.

Dec 1, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

This summer, one of the interns at my office fell asleep in his car when he got to work in the morning. The guys in the office (including our principal) took all of the trash cans outside and surrounded his car with them and put one of them on the hood of his car. Then one of the guys drove around the lot and honked his horn for a while, but the poor kid didn't wake up until someone went and opened his car door. Thats when we found out he was apparently pulling the night shift at Fed Ex to pay for college. The pictures are priceless!

Dec 1, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

As a student I interned in a firm that had a main floor where 90% of the people worked, and a loft space for the other 10% who were mainly model builders and student interns. There was this associate who made a lot of noise to the principals about how us "loft people" needed someone up there to supervise, because otherwise supposedly we'd spend all day sleeping, surfing the internet, and talking to each other. It took awhile for him to convince anyone, since us interns were all working pretty hard and meeting our deadlines, but eventually the principals agreed that he should move up there and supervise us. Turns out that his real motive was to move his desk to a space where nobody could supervise HIM (except us underlings with no power to do anything about it.) He slept under his desk in the afternoons. He had the whole George Costanza set-up with pillows and a magazine rack under there.
It was years after I left there that I ran into one of the people I'd worked with there (one of the downstairs people.) She told me incredulously about how he'd just recently been caught at this and been let go. But I guess he got at least three good years of "supervisory experience" out of that arrangement.

Dec 1, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: