Archinect
anchor

Is there any hope for someone like me?

Bennythejetr

So I graduated in 2006 with a Bachelor's in Architecture from USC. Over the next two years, I worked 8 months with a civil engineer, then 1.5 years with a residential architect. At the end of 2008, I was laid off due to company losing work and not having enough projects.

It's coming up on 3 years since I've had full time work in architecture, besides the occasional freelance work.. I feel  everyday that passes by, the chances of me getting a job are less and less. I have experience, but it seems like it's just not enough for what employers are looking for.

Now, I'm just getting by working as a public safety officer (security guard), and feel like my 5 year investment in school was a waste.

So what are the odds I can find work again, and is there anything specifically I can do besides wait and hope for things to get better?

Thanks

Nov 30, 11 6:43 pm
CitizenWalker

The market is tough out there - everyone is fighting off tremendous competition while looking for opportunities. Even when those opportunities come and you do get interviewed for a position, it is somehow disturbing to know that there may be 20 other people the firm is interviewing for the same position. 

Here are my two cents -

The important thing to remember here is not what you have not done/not gotten a chance to do since you got laid off, but what you have. I agree that working as a security guard may definitely not be your first choice - continue working as a freelancer, try volunteering your weekends to non-profits or NGO's, attend conferences/exhibitions, meet people, network, read and contribute to forums such as this one - there's a lot you can learn from it, try forming a group for competitions - if not with strangers, with people who are working and want a break from their mundane work schedules, keep working on your portfolio by looking at other peoples work - make it inspire you, not disappoint you, make checklists. Most importantly, keep yourself busy.

Build up your case - dont let it find its own way. 

Best of luck!

Dec 1, 11 1:02 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

sucky situation.  as CW said, perhaps volunteering w/ Habitat for Humanity could turn into something useful to have on your resume?

Dec 1, 11 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Bennythejetr

Great advice. I've done some of that, but I can definitely do more about the networking. That's probably the key to making sure I eventually get back into the work force.

Dec 1, 11 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Perhaps move to where the jobs are...hiring seems to have picked up here in the San Francisco Bay area. Even the place where I was layed off from 3 years ago is hiring up...too bad the owner is a hack and a prick.

Dec 1, 11 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Taliesin AG

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - I work here in SF and would like to continue - thanks for telling the world - now every Architects office in the Bay Area will get hit with 1000 resumes/opening. - 

Dec 1, 11 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

I'm basically in the same boat but with a 4yr degree and even less experience. It sucks. It's like you try so hard to find a job, and nada. Everyone says to network, but thats hard too, especially if you don't have the right contacts. Keep trying, I feel your pain. I've been out of the profession, 2 years.

Dec 2, 11 7:41 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

With due respect, stop looking for work and search for your desired career.  Do you truly want to be an architect?  If so, your current task is to all you can to secure a position that furthers your career.

A number of years ago I switched from architecture to higher education.  I had no experience and no one would hire me with an architecture background.  I volunteered, networked, and started a resume writing business.  Soon after, I got my break with a part-time career advisor position in a small women's college.  This all happened because I wanted it.

Absolutely, it is tough, but what are you doing to make it.  And I would argue that you do not leave the profession until you have given up. 

As Dick Bolles states in What Color is Your Parachute

Thus, it is thru your research and network!

Dec 2, 11 8:06 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Sorry SUVERK...Did I say Bay Area?...I really meant...uh...back bay...uh Boston...yeah that's it Boston....dont come to the bay area...sucks here, weather sucks, no jobs, crappy traffic...go back, people, nothing here for you!

Dec 2, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 
zonker

I had 2 years experience when was laid off from SOM in 08. After 6 months looking for work I did "volunteer work"(read - unpaid internship) for one office. Worked for free for another office, took ARE classes at AIA-SF, networked, taught Revit for free and at long last, I was "noticed" by a former co-worker who referred me to a recruiter and I got my "big break" to  get some temp work 1 year after I was initially laid off. This in turn lead to more temp jobs, and eventually to 18 months so far doing design at a small office that needed someone who knows Revit.

Sometimes, you have to be willing to start over again - You just can't give up - 

Dec 2, 11 11:56 am  · 
 · 
CitizenWalker

Wow SUVERK, your story is really inspiring. I agree with what you say - you have to give it all and be willing to do odd and end jobs. It just goes to show the power of networking - I cant stress on it enough about how important that is in an economy like this.

Dr. Architecture's drives home a point too. But I wouldn't say stop pursuing architecture because you get fed up and give it up. I would say identify if that is really your greatest strength and if you recognize that it isn't, only then should you change your profession. If it is, then in time that you are not employed full time, strengthen your other skills<business management, software, communication etc>. Always pursue your own goals because no one else is going to do it for you. 

Dec 2, 11 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Nope, not at all.  At least not in what your trying to do.  I tried getting a job as a security guard, but was turned down because I didn't own my own gun!

Good Luck To You!

Happiness is a warm gun!

Dec 2, 11 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
snorkler

Is there hope?  I know it doesn't feel like it, but yes - there is.  Not too long ago I was in the exact same situation as you - a few years of experience, suddenly out of work and working as, yes, a security guard, for a couple of years.  It feels like things are hopeless, like nothing will every change....but you have to hang in there.  Remember how high school felt?  How it felt like it would never end, how you couldn't wait to get into the "real" world....and now, looking back, you wonder what the big deal is all about?  It was only 4 years, after all.  This is the same.  Believe it.  One day, you will look back, and all this will be a distant memory.  I know it doesn't feel like you're getting anywhere, but you just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and resolve to make a little progress every day.  Volunteer.  Meet someone new.  Explore other kinds of practice which you haven't considered before.  You might not get back into the field right away.  It might be another 3 years before you do, and you have to find a way to get by until then, if staying in the field really matters to you.  It's completely unfair.  It's the economy, not your work-ethic or intelligence, as hard as it is to believe.  Don't dwell on it.  Just get up every day and do your thing.  You will get there eventually!

Dec 3, 11 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Don't feel bad benny i have it bad too. im in an a.s degree program graduating in the sping of 2013, a pretty bad resume as of now on archinect and plan on finding work while continuing my education with valencia/ucf/uf's architecture program in the summer and fall 2013. I think that not one architect is going to give me a hope at a shot as a architectural drafter ...lol. 

Through being just damn stubborded and a never give up attitude and self study thru arcinect and hogrefal i've learned of photoshop and am taking a class in 2012 fal along with my program courses in revit,autocad etc. I have a long way to go and from what i read on here i don't have a chance in hell but i will nver give up and neither should you.... : )

P.S you have a B.Arch .. i would kill for that  im going to be stuck with a a.s degree in arch tech you will find something hopefully for my sake......

Jun 8, 12 1:29 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

MyDream: to be honest, plenty of firm could hire you if you can draft well and have technical knowledge/eye for details.  Too many students coming out of BArch degrees only know how to come up with concepts, most of which are run-off-the-mill, and can't draft or draw details well.

Jun 8, 12 3:00 am  · 
 · 
Sergo Antadze

speaking of "giving up" ... sometimes you just simply can not give up.

Just to tell you story of my hatband:

We are foreigners from East Europe

He graduated with Honors and started his career at 22, by the time he was 28 he was  already project architect and had built couple of large Hotels, then in 90's whole country collapsed, war, starvation, every institution went down. he had to start over and he did started from small crappy projects and built his own practice. after that he made big move(maybe big mistake) he moved in United States and started over again, did not know English at all, but had knowledge and experience, he had no problem finding job, but then in 2008 again economy went down, he got laid off, and he started over again, with no connections or network of friends in foreign country. Now he does some residential small projects and  commercial Interiors, but he also participates in competitions, which he got an award recently. it is tough for someone with his experience and knowledge, not to fully use his skills, but at least he is still in profession.

So if you love architecture, you just simply can not give up, there is always some work around close to your skills.

Jun 8, 12 4:22 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

Thanks accesskb it feels good and gives me confidence to finally here some sort of positive feed back are you an architect? I would love to here some stories.

Jun 8, 12 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Classmate of mine graduated in 2007 - at long last has a job as a designer doing TI in San Diego

Jun 8, 12 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Xenakis did both of you graduate with arch degrees?

Jun 8, 12 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

yes - M.arch from New School of architecture in San Diego - I work in San Francisco where things are picking up

Jun 8, 12 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

im tryng to get there educationally as well, do you have any experience working  with, hiring, drafters going to school at the same time. Are there flexibe hours and such for employees in arch firms. Valencia has night classes for the first two years UCF has some but not as much. (I have so many more questins to possibly list them.) 

Jun 8, 12 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Here is a link to the program i am going to start in the fall of 2013. I will be looking for employment in the summer of 2013 with a a.s degree in architectural and building technology.

http://architecture.ucf.edu

it has a desription of the program

Jun 8, 12 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

there is hope for you - just be sure to learn Revit well enough to were you can put a building together - learn parametric modeling  for both Revit and Grasshopper

Jun 8, 12 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

thank you for your kindness in your comments. I hope benny sees this and understands that you should never give up and good things can happen

Jun 8, 12 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
OldArchitect

You are right about networking.  People tend to hire people they know.  Go to AIA and any other professional organization meetings you can.  Take resumes (the resume is an excuse to talk to somebody, not necessarily the primary reason you will be hired) to anybody who will let you in the door, and get an appointment to speak to somebody in charge.  Go back to places after a few weeks just so they don't forget you.  I was laid off after over 40 years in architecture and was worried that I was too old to get hired.  I don't know CAD and certainly don't know BIM drafting.  I kept talking to everyone I knew in the profession.  It took a while, but I was eventually hired by an outfit that took me completely by surprise - but I knew several of the people.  I am convinced that is what made the difference.  Don't back off, and it will eventually come.

Jun 8, 12 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Architecture is like the marines and a marine never surrenders - you may get killed - far better to dies with your boots on than to just waste away w/o a cause. - 

Jun 8, 12 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

thanks for your comment old architect(even though i wish you would change that name to  wise and experienced architect). There is a aia chapter in orlando i will definitely let them know im looking. Cad is really not as hard as you think it is if you can use a mouse its just pick first point type in distance repeat etc it cn get  little tricky with lineweights but with a little direction you could learn it in no time. Autodesk has free software with tutorials i think they give you a 3 year time limit. 

im glad you and xenakis have found work and things are picking up i need leaders like you guys to teach furture professionals like me ..thank you. 

Jun 8, 12 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

o yeah you have to set the drawing units to architectural before you can just click and type in measurements

Jun 8, 12 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: