Archinect
anchor

austin salary?

construct

I recently moved to Austin i pursuit of a job. What is the salary for an intern out of grad school here? I have experience in offices. Thanks if anyone can help.

Nov 22, 05 12:19 pm
ochona

hi-20s to mid-30s, depending on the office

smaller firms here tend to pay less than the big ones, which is surprisingly not always the case in other cities

Nov 22, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
A

What's the deal with everyone saying that big "corporate" firms pay more? Unless you are a principal I've never really found that. The so-called mid-sized firms 5-25 employees seem to have always paid the best wages. Benefits usually are better at the bigger offices, but most fresh out of college interns care more about how much cash is in their pockets.

Your post reminds me of a college friend who went to Austin for a summer internship in the late 90's. Of course he was an electrical engineer and landed a job with Dell. In his case - $65k w/$10k signing bonus and relocation package. I doubt that still happens at Dell, but when did it ever happen for an arch intern?

Nov 22, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Hi-20's seems very low and insulting. I've only heard of one firm in Austin paying like that, but maybe there are more. Most firms would probably offer mid-30's to start. Or at least I would hope so. And especially if you already have office experience, you should be getting mid to high 30's with a couple years experience. Only people right out of school with no experience should be getting 30-32k.

Nov 22, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
construct

thanks for the help so far. What firm pays hi-20's in austin?

Nov 22, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

A, what you describe is typically the case in my experience, although it would seem counterintuitive to some -- it certainly was the case in chicago when i was there

in austin it seems to ring true that bigger means more pay. there seems to be a much higher-than-average number of architects in austin and most of the firms are on the small side. and benefits are typically worse at the smaller firms -- for instance, you may find yourself paying for 50% of your health insurance and you probably won't have 401(k), etc, etc.

hi-20s might seem insulting, but i know a few architects in austin who are insulting in and of themselves...mwad, i am having fun imagining who you might be referring to...

Nov 22, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
jabber

A ... the latest AIA salary survey data suggests that a firm with 50-99 employees will tend to pay interns about 10% higher wages than a firm with fewer than 10 employees ... the same mid-sized to large firm will pay graduate architects (licensed or unlicensed) with > 3 years of experience about 15% higher wages than firms with fewer than 10 employees

in this context "wages" will include total compensation, including bonuses and other incentives ... not just base salary.

of course, some would argue that the bigger firms NEED to pay higher salaries because the work experience isn't as broad or as interesting as that provided in smaller firms ... i, myself, don't necessariy subscribe to that view

Nov 22, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

btw, construct, it seems like a LOT of people in austin are hiring right now...

Nov 22, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
A

Yeah, I haven't looked at the AIA salary survey in a while. From my own experience - comparing salary starting out with old classmates, to moving between firms, it hasn't always been the big firms that paid best for me. Have friends that echo that as well. I just remember being told in college that if I wanted the big $$ to work for the big firms. Not always true.

Jabber, I also agree that the cliche that you get better, more rounded, experience in smaller firms isn't always true either.

Guess, I am just frusturated by the stereotypes. And as for the salary question, although I have no experience in Austin, I've been in that place frusturated because those AIA surveys tend to be vauge. For a recent grad the difference between $30k and $40k is huge. Also the archinect salary poll tends to be unreliable. I personally feel many people have pumped up their salary on there. And what does $50k - full time - Akron OH really tell me anyway?? Syracuse University does a pretty good salary survey...best I've seen. Probably won't help with Austin, but something to emulate on a national/international level for someone with too much time on their hands.

Nov 22, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

the 2005 aia compensation survey suggests that 2nd year interns in austin, tx receive base salaries in the 33,000 to 35,800 range, with the median being 34,000 ... overtime pay and bonuses would be on top of those numbers

the report does not provide any data for entry level interns (too low response rate) ... but, since you indicate some prior work experience, the 2nd year intern figures should not be much above the market for your services

but then, you may offer way above average talent ....

good luck

Nov 22, 05 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

$34K for 2nd-year interns sounds extremely high for what i've experienced here in austin, but if the AIA says so...perhaps, as i mentioned earlier, at the larger firms it's the reality...

Nov 22, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

how can one access the AIA salary report?

Nov 22, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
35mm

you can pay for it-
or go to the local AIA - they should have a copy that you can look at in person.

Nov 22, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
Order information for the 2005 AIA Compensation Report: Print Version

before you start bitching about the cost differential between member and non-member pricing, try to remember that the aia's primary role is to support its dues paying members ... member dues underwrite the cost of designing, conducting and publishing the survey ... that is not an inconsequential undertaking

Nov 22, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

Maybe a bit off the topic, but related...

I've experienced the Aggies-Longhorns rivalry first hand when I was at Texas A&M...does it show up in the profession as well ?...meaning, is there any chance for a TAMU grad to get a job in Austin ?

Nov 22, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

MA, i think you'll find that 25-50% of UT students and alumni could not care less about the UT-A&M rivalry, whether in football or finance. indeed, many take pride in not caring

most UT architecture students/grads are in that percentage

so yes, there is as much a chance as if you went to any other decent school

Nov 22, 05 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Yeah, Ochona, I've been seeing your posts (and they are very interesting) and have been wondering who you might be and where you might work. You've even mentioned the firm where I work in another thread so maybe we even know each other. And I could share what firms pay soo badly, but that would be bad form.

Nov 22, 05 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

ok ... can we take these extraneous, off-topic threads outside, please !

such rambling kills otherwise interesting discussion topics

Nov 22, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

A - in my experience here in LA, there is a large difference in pay between corporate offices (I'm thinking 40 people or more approx) and smaller firms. I know this from talking to friends, interviewing, etc. over the 6 years I've been out of grad school. It's not always the case, but if I was looking to make the most money possible I would certainly look at the largest firms...In addition, project manager positions tend to pay more than project architect or designer positions. There does seem to be a direct correlation between size of office and compensation (total including benefits).

Nov 22, 05 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i think it's ok to let the threads ramble -- you never know what might come up! :)

Nov 22, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Ok. Here are some gossip salaries in Austin:

Right out of school: 37k
2 years out of school: 32k
2 years out of school: 40k
3 years out of school: 47k
Right out of school: 28k

All experience levels: Indefinate contract pay...have fun paying those taxes.

Nov 22, 05 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
b4g

I am thinking about a move after I get my license and austin is one of the places I am considering. Come someone please pass along some insight about how a licensed architect with 7 years of experience makes in austin?

Thanks.

Jun 25, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
bccparallax

Quick Question, I moved out here two months ago, just graduated with my M.Arch. Is anyone hiring? I am still looking, a lot of interview but no offers. i guess I should have interned in school instead of taking extra classes.

Aug 19, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: