Archinect
anchor

Your Ignorance is Inexcusable

Queen of England

My son, the Prince of Wales, has informed me that this ”˜blog' is frequented by those responsible for horrendous architecture.

SHAME ON YOU.

Surely the time has come to escape from an almost adolescent obsession with being “Modern” - the product, perhaps, of a twentieth century “teenage crisis”? - and, instead, to be more concerned about being “human”.

Why the need to be egotistical as if, again in an adolescent way, we feel it necessary to reflect our presence for posterity by leaving behind the equivalent of graffiti on the beauty of Nature? Surely it is time to be grown up enough to realize that what sustainability really means is paying the necessary respect and good manners due to Nature - to that “sense of place” - which have been so arrogantly denied to Her, and with such recognizably disastrous consequences to our planet.

Isn't it curious, too, that copying from history - “pastiche” as they call it - is simply assumed to be wrong. And yet what's fashionable today is another kind of “pastiche” of almost century-old, Modernist architecture. Why does that reflect our time any better?

Nov 21, 05 8:47 pm
upside

and the australian public voted to keep the monarchy. i have never been so embaressed.

Nov 21, 05 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
Marcus Trimble

upside down - I'll second that sentiment...

Nov 21, 05 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

i agree and i`m embarrassed too.

Nov 21, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Charles, is that you? I know it's not your mother, because Lizzy is totally into Eisenman.

Nov 22, 05 1:29 am  · 
 · 
Mission St.

aw man, i miss the days when you could easily post to archinect under whatever name you chose that second.

Nov 22, 05 1:48 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi you fancy graphics lovers.

Nov 22, 05 4:48 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

HRH - "....what is proposed is like a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend."

Don't listen to him, he's not even welsh.

Nov 22, 05 5:30 am  · 
 · 
job job

well joined Per! excellent entry

better watch out for the skindeep

Nov 22, 05 6:21 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

Who do you think you are?
The Queen Of England?

Go back to cutting ribbons!

Nov 22, 05 6:58 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

when did per become so succinct?

Nov 22, 05 9:13 am  · 
 · 

"It is no accident that the New in the arts always announces itself in the guise of a revival, Hadid's career starts with the reinterpretation of Malevich's Teltonik, and her early work has indeed been (mis-)understood as neo-Constructivism. In a similar fashion, Peter Eisenman is said to take off from early Le Corbusier and Terragni. Revivalist appropriation is the easiest and most immediate option to articulate dissatisfaction and resistance towards a dominant practice. However, this has nothing to do with repetition. For instance, to pick up the unfinished projects of modernism on the back of postmodernism cannot be simple re-enactment, even if one initially works with direct citations."
--Patrik Schmacher, "Mechanism of Radical Innovation" in Zaha Hadid Complete Works: Texts and References. p. 65.

Is there even such a thing as simple reenactment?

Queen of the Nile

It's interesting that reenactment is central to the "dissatisfaction and resistance towards the dominant practice" of Eisenman's teaching of Piranesi's Campo Marzio.

Nov 22, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

Rita Novel one reson I joined this tread is that I saw the word ignorance in the subject, --- I am also quite ignorant about what you state ,but I stop exchousing my attitude now ; you see I still find very little inspiration in Zaha' latest Ordrupgaard museum building --- the people working there simply hate the place, the inviroment the light, and is all the time contacted by visitors who complain . Now this do not mean that the architect would not be able to produce wonders in more modern actural building technikes but, it do say something about the joke that postmodernism allready been reinvented tree times since LeCorb and why , why becaurse what you talk about by core deal with methods ,engineering and materials more than anything else.

Please exchouse if you see this comment as a critic about Zaha, it is not, it is a critic about how restricted artists are in an age where we would think new technikes shuld offer better tools. Still they don't, they just produce exactly what could be made with very simular technikes a hundred years ago. --- So I don't doubt that Zaha and even Liebskind could make wonders in 3D-H , but would they even understand the unlimited possibilities and way's to put things together that you can't emagine with today's concete formworks or today's rigid "H" steel profile assemblies ?

Nov 22, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Eh --- originaly constructivism was about understanding the new materials and methods , my point is that maby the trouble is that that issue got lost that the process leave no room for detail structure or feel, in some cases even a realistic vision. A dead end.

Nov 22, 05 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

QOE-
I can't agree with you more, there is a movement rejecting (in some part) the modernist mantra.
And I believe there are two camps:

1-that seems to want to re-enact some sort of idea premodernist notions of community. Disney-fying the world.

2-Soem ar looking to right some of hte wrongs of modernism by creating a more conscious design.

What I disagree is that we need pastiche at all.

Nov 22, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
"I bee reenactin'"

the medium is the message?

Nov 22, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
AP
postmodernism allready been reinvented tree times since LeCorb

another t-shirt, inspired by Per

Nov 22, 05 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Did you know that there are mice that can't see trees? They are tree blind mice.

"My place or yours?"

Nov 22, 05 11:02 am  · 
 · 
pastiche 1 :

a dramatic, literary, or musical piece openly imitating the previous works of other artists, often with satirical intent 2 : a pasticcio of incongruous parts; a hodgepodge

Reenactment and pastiche are not the same thing.

Reenactment, as a historiographic methodology, involves an imitation of the source event in order to better understand the source event and then learn from there. Reenactment as a design methodology works the same way.

Disney-fication is pastiche 1 without the satire.

Contemporary avant garde architecture in virtually any established setting unwittingly generates pastiche 2.

Nov 22, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

you're not welsh either, bots. you're australian.

Nov 22, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell
Nov 22, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Per Corell, i dub thee "Sir, Per Corell" of archinect

Nov 22, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Also found at Tate I don't know the name of the artist.

Nov 22, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
job job

bots is australian?

will the prevarication never STOP? posters pretending to be girls, nicaraguans saying they're catalan, morons parading as brainiacs, apples and oranges living together... and that's just ME

lying on the internet; well, i never

Nov 22, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell
Nov 22, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

I used to listen to this album a lot.

Nov 22, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

We are not amused.

Nov 22, 05 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

And Eisenman is, Sir, a prick.

Nov 22, 05 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Liz, I hardly know you any more.

Nov 22, 05 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
Nov 23, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

This is not just grafiti, it is acturly people building a house , It is a fence opposite my windows _everyone_ can use it you just paint over the previous grafiti and make a new. It will be handy when I start up my Leitz Epidiaskop ( the same type just _much_ better than the cheap ones had when they brought Pop-Art , mine are just that much better HA..

Nov 23, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

new topics, same per.

Nov 23, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Yes it seem to be the same old topic -- new cheap houses, a new architecture that make everything work better ,produce not just the new houses but the new jobs the new building technikes so some of the vorse old junk can be scrapped. These are my naibours to , and the sceen are a well crowded street on the way to the Opera , --- then why not justify some of the old original Pop-Art display them with some of mine, at the fence opposite my windows --- paint over the grafiti with white and make a screen. acturly Pop-Art only got a chance as Epidiaskops existed the technike avaible. Man it will be great to display nice graphics with an 800 MM Leitz lens have a number of 3D-H collage and other up to date sketches.

Nov 23, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

[img]http://www.tate.org.uk/collection/T/T01/T01458_9.jpg[/url]

Nov 23, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

I have no desire to make windows into mens souls, do whatever you wish. As for me, I shall do no otherwise than pleases me.

Nov 25, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: