Archinect
anchor

Fresh architecture kids in India, China, Paki..etc must be good enough!

sharpie.

(A)--This thread is to give a general insight into the academic and the immediate professional life which follows of most young indian architects.

(or)

(B)--Call it a thread to compare the growth of architects in developing nations to compete /know stuff/work at the global level - opinions please.

to grettaB with love- this is to answer querries assuming that the intension was genuine and not an act of bigotry-

i would like to know what you are looking for from an architect from india. was it the breadth of knowledge? a general opinon? skills? the only exception being the legality and the work permit status.

but, to give an insight-- one must be aware that most construction processess here are highly labour oriented and tedious even if its a simple box design.
many schools as far as i know are geared towards practicing architecture for the indian people and not at an international level just like any undergrad anywhere. by indian people- i mean taking into account the construction methods, materials available, cost, culture, needs etc in their daily life.

this does not mean they would not have the basic qualities/pragmatic
knowledge/theoretical and practical skills/work ethics/ motivation/ etc compulsarily needed for an architecture student; if that was your main question. a lot of old school techniques and methodologies- but there is certainly a commendable growth to compete and to serve people of different nations. check out some indian architecture magazines.

the skill sets- almost all softwares you know of are being used here in architecture firms.
autocad, rhino, form z, photoshop, 3ds max, sketchUP...
if you were expecting manual skills - awesome!! a majority of the
schools don`t let students use computers till the 4th or the final year in undergrad. good or bad but students find what interests them to accomplish things.

the works done in college- promising. its just the exposure that is
needed for any person according to me. but the arch related thinking process/developments with concepts of individuals would be the same whether you are in africa or in asia or in europe.

hope that was useful. its just a quick general insight though there are possibilities for an argument surely with more and better information.

cheers.
p.s- this post is a repost from the thread which was removed.

Nov 20, 05 6:29 am
bLAyer

what 's with all these vernacular topics?

Nov 20, 05 6:55 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

a response to someone who started a thread wanting to know about these vernacular topics before interviewing people which eventually got deleted.

Nov 20, 05 7:02 am  · 
 · 
xxx3

i think gretta b got what she was looking for..well she is not seeking social reform...
so let us not bother her......
probably she is busy now..wondering. "what was i thinking???"!!

Nov 20, 05 8:45 am  · 
 · 
job job

there was a topic about Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese that was deleted?? that's, what, half the world population?

shoot I ALWAYS miss the good stuff

Nov 20, 05 11:48 am  · 
 · 
gretta b started a (intentionally or not) racist and bigoted topic that raised complaints from members. yes, it was turned off and this well-meaning attempt to address those who are as dull-minded as gretta simply kowtows to such ignorants.
Nov 20, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
job job

so it's a good thing I didn't bring up my deep-seated mistrust of all things prussian...

that's a JOKE !!!!

okay that's enough stupidity for today

Nov 20, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

In my (indian) school, we are geared towards urban and theoretical attitudes towards design, rather than construction and pragmaticism. There ARE, however, schools with the opposite approach. Also, I recently visited Germany as part of a student exchange/interaction program, and found, leaving all bias aside, that the best Indian students are at par and are sometimes better than the best European students. Let me stress that this is an objective judgement - in fact, I'm usually pretty harsh on our own education system.

Nov 20, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
reverseplan

Manu G i preety much understand what you are trying to convey here ...
i hope you are inquisitive enough to modulate the pragmatism of construction with your own creative intent when you are out of practice..training...a couple of years..of self-employment...

cheers for you future

Nov 20, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

Yes, reverseplan, but I expect the first years to be traumatic, nevertheless. Design-wise I find myself and my classmates much better equipped than most German students, but they excel in terms of construction.

Nov 20, 05 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Jo

I could not agree more with cham...and I second that! As for what Manu had to say, my school had an exchage programme that brought some austrian and french students to study with us and over all I never felt that we were any less informed or less hardworking...in fact I think now more than ever we have a lot of enthusiasm among students and professors to also globalise our education system without trying to negate our Indian situation! Where we might lack a bit would be i the professional situation...where you do see a...for lack of a better word... few sell outs...or rather people who compromise their profesional ethics (but I guess that happens world over)...and i do see the situation changing for better now. We are not any more closed or open to the world as our counterparts anywhere else.

The areas of concern for a developing nation are more social and economic and hence here is more focus on these aspects in most schools. We still have a more "problem solving" approach to design than theorising which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Manu give it two years and you will be able to overcome the lack of knowledge about construction, you need to maintain a keen interest in the process of how a project gets executed though.

Nov 21, 05 3:20 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

javier's right. let this be. it's really not worth drawing it out...

Nov 21, 05 5:24 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

why ever consider it to be drawing it to anyone in particular?

the purpose of this thread was also to hear views in general from people in the west and all directions and not to derogate anyone.

Nov 21, 05 6:26 am  · 
 · 
ret

Delete this stupid thread.
The earlier one got deleted, GrettaB probably never even looked back after the first few posts.
You sound silly when you say things like......fact I think now more than ever we have a lot of enthusiasm among students and professors to also globalise our education system without trying to negate our Indian situation! ..really man, forget about it!!
You are trying to bring to light the fact that Indian students are good and hardworking and all that...but you're doing a hell of a job screwing it up!

....We are not any more closed or open to the world as our counterparts anywhere else....what the f*** does that mean?

Nov 21, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

huh?

Nov 21, 05 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

ret you sound so paranoid and stupid. chill!

Nov 21, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
ret

i see...i guess you did'nt quite get what i wrote...never mind..it was silly of me..
yeah paranoid and stupid, go back and read what you wrote...

Nov 21, 05 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

actually chameleon, your thread just fuels stupid threads like grettaB. Im sure you did not do it knowingly, but really, you dont need to proclaim what traits indian/paki/etc students have compared to their counterparts.

For lack of time i will leave this thread for now, but will return to point out some tactical errors in your post. For example, by highlighting that indian students have the same skillsets and know the same software, while not talking about actual design , you bolster the stupid assumption (which i have seen many people to have) that indian students are good only at software etc.

read your own post carefully and think

Nov 21, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

hey sameolddoc- now, i`m just beginnning to get an uneasy feeling to have started this thread immediately after that one post. it looks more like it HAS in a way bolstered more stupid assumptions. and ofcourse, i won`t deny the fact that i also wanted to respond to grettaB as a START but for a general discussion.

my intension was defenitely "NOT" to create this kind of stupity among the readers (which i was`nt aware of when i started until..) but to have a GOOD discussion out of that thread. my reply to grettaB was a few specific questions he/she had asked which i remembered.

i`m so sorry it has angered many people here, but that is not the intension.

the discussions i wanted to start-(A)--This thread is to give a general insight into the academic and the immediate professional life which follows of most young indian architects. (or) (B)--Call it a thread to compare the growth of architects in developing nations to compete /know stuff/work at the global level - opinions please. (the second which i assume got tucked beneath wrong notions and got completely avoided).

but, before it fuels more obnoxious assumptions, i think its better to stop with this. i`m outta this already.

Nov 21, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Jo

Yeah...I dont think we should take this any further because this is fuelling more misconceptions and I think it can be interpreted in the same light as the earlier thread by Grettab...I am also outa here..sorry if this hurt or angered anyone...that was not the intention at all...

Nov 22, 05 1:00 am  · 
 · 
reverseplan

yeah gretta b is history!!!!!!

Nov 24, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: