Archinect
anchor

searching for correct term

Ms Beary

Looking for the correct term or maybe a good word to describe a project that reinhabits an old (but not exactly historical, from the 60's) building, most likely including gutting and a major exterior renovation with the intent that it will look nothing like it used to.

Adaptive reuse tends to imply a historical building that is being saved, and readapted. Not really the case.

Renovation is a tired work for me, but you may "vote" for it if you think it is the appropriate term.

The project never made it out of the conceptual stage, if that makes a difference.

Can you help out? Thanks.

Nov 17, 05 4:31 pm

revitalization
capital improvement
equity investment
modernization
putting some lipstick on the pig

Nov 17, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

reconditioning, rehabilitating?

Nov 17, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

More info...
The intended audience is the public, for an idea for a public building, so tax payer dollars.
The public is apprehensive that such a building (museum) would go in the currently horrendous abondonded deptartment store. So they key theme here is change.
Public is already sold on it, done and over with, on to the next phase. I am just trying to put it in my portfolio and want a good descriptive term.

Can "adaptive reuse" work, or is that saved for specific project types?

Nov 17, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

whoa! spelling errors, sorry. You get what I mean.

Nov 17, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
rehabilitation

sounds like bringing it back to original condition.

reconditioning sounds right on to me!

facelift
reconstruct
transform
refaced (maybe too superficial - literally)
novate/novation

Nov 17, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

recycling?

Nov 17, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ooops... novation has debt connotations.

Nov 17, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

regeneration

Nov 17, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

urban regeneration
site cultivation
land use rehabilitation

Nov 17, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I think rehabilitation sounds like the original building was crippled or infirm, and the rehabilitation has given it a new lease on life - like when they rebailitate old quarries as parks.

Reconditioning sounds a bit like re-machining the pistons and replacing the camshaft.

Nov 17, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Regenerate is good.

Regurgitated not so good.

Nov 17, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

resurface

Nov 17, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

fresh-coat-ification

Nov 17, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

reincarnation

Nov 17, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
dia

ex-scheme makeover, otherwise, ditty's on regeneration are the most appropriate.

Nov 17, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

"reconditioned" is most used to denote OLD MATTRESSES that have had a new cover put on. please do not use this term. it makes me think of other people's leaky discharges.

"Adaptive re-use" is best in this context, and if you can work the word "radical" in there, all the better!

Nov 17, 05 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Does adaptive re-use work here? I mean the building is getting a new face, not a new use:

Adaptive reuse tends to imply a historical building that is being saved, and readapted. Not really the case.

Nov 17, 05 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Yes, I think adaptive reuse is my term, even if I am not using it entirely correctly, which I think I am.

Nov 17, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

It is getting a new use. And a new face.

Nov 17, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ok, I got back to regeneration then. It is vague enough to include use and face. You are generating each.

Nov 17, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

regeneration is like growing a new arm when one falls off.

Nov 17, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

regenerating implies regrowth of something that was already there, in the same form.

Nov 17, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

If you remove the middle school science class newt-grows-its-leg-back reference, it seems to re-generate is pretty much what is happening here.

But what about regenerative ______ (put fancy word here)?

Nov 17, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

salvaging-in-place.

Nov 17, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

...but it's too long, limited space, big font

Nov 17, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
dia

do-over. short, sweet, hyphenated.

Nov 17, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

"hipster magnet"

Nov 17, 05 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
Nov 17, 05 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Mmm... Toothpaste!

Nov 17, 05 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

let me try my hand at wordsmithing...

you are engaging in a "palimpsest-ification"

Go ask Safire or Webster.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

palimpsest

Main Entry: pa·limp·sest
Pronunciation: 'pa-l&m(p)-"sest, p&-'lim(p)-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin palimpsestus, from Greek palimpsEstos scraped again, from palin + psEn to rub, scrape; akin to Sanskrit psAti, babhasti he chews
1 : writing material (as a parchment or tablet) used one or more times after earlier writing has been erased
2 : something having usually diverse layers or aspects apparent beneath the surface

Nov 17, 05 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
c

Reinvigorate ... though admitedly, a 'reinvigoration ' sounds like spa treatement

Nov 17, 05 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
thruening

“Timing for craft” or “end traK” capital makes sense to me. Plenty of it and makes good sense to you, your clients and some potential employers. It’s not a “misnomer.” It’s not a way of saying, “No way, I can’t do this thing here. I mean, this task has some convoluted things to it, man.” It’s not like saying that. Instead, it’s like saying this: “You want end traK? Or do you want this project to go down?”
Because, that’s how the workplace is. It’s a tight world and let me tell you that business is business as usual. No “pennies” for the “pinchers.”
What do you need? For me to explain this to you? That’s kinda sad because you know why? This is common business knowledge. There is a bunch of public knowledge for you and it is readily available, also. Yet, you want me to spoon feed it. Save your spoon because the business world is at your door and it wants a name or description or a word fast and you’re fiddling around in the kitchen. Scrambling some dumb eggs. Scrambling your words up like a real marble mouth. That’s where I and my advice come in, consulting. BUSINESS SOLUTIONS.

Nov 18, 05 12:26 am  · 
 · 
thruening

Listen. The business world will give you limited time. It’ll give you five, maybe six minutes, tops. That’s if you’re lucky. And you’re going to spend all that time being real garbled? Garbling and scrambling up your words? Coming across as a mixed –up brain, a marble-mouth (head) with loose words and then some excuses? You can’t get your words all scrambled up again. You can’t get your way that way. Now’s the time. SOLUTIONS are needed. Quick think of business models and other ways of language. Don’t scramble, don’t get all fussy. If you leave your chair and then decide, suddenly, to come back, doesn’t it look bad to the business world? Doesn’t that look super bad to your family who will look away all ashamed? BUSINESS SOLUTIONS.

Nov 18, 05 1:02 am  · 
 · 
e909

you could call it goaulded, goaulding
http://images.google.com/images?q=Goa'uld
(no, i don't watch that show)

strawbearifiying
strawbeatifying?
but then someone may guess who you are!

fixin-up
rescuing?
Letsvadz-ized

Nov 18, 05 2:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: