Archinect
anchor

MVRDV studio

ScottMSchultz

so at my school (University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee) MVRDV is coming to teach a studio. There is a trip to the netherlands for a week that goes along with the studio as well. I think the partners or osme of them come to the school about 4 times through the semester... Good studio or not? Im currently working on my portfolio to get into it and I'm guessing there will be a good amount of competition. What can you tell me about MVRDV.

Nov 14, 05 2:29 pm
garpike

Do you like research? MVRDV are heavy into having students add to their research.

Nov 14, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

If you know anyone who was at UCLA like 1 or 2 years ago, ask them bC I think winey mass was there then teaching a studio.

in other gossip, I once sat behind winey mass (in the audience) at a lecture in holland and he pretty much played with his powerbook the whole time the lecturer was going on about their lecture material.

actually this gives me a great idea for a thread......

Nov 14, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Winy Maas was at UCLA for a very short time. He did not teach a studio, but he did participate in a panel discussion on research in architecture along with Weil Arets.

Nov 14, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

I heard something about a giant model of a windmill tower that had to do with winey mass and students..... That true ?

Nov 14, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i'm sure there will be plenty of dry sarcastic remarks about milwaukee, a trip or two to some bars where they'll muse about the cheap beer, and probably at least one muffed crit where they don't show up

based on other people's experience with visiting critics when i was in school

as for MVRdV, yeah, seems like you'll see a drawing or two in their latest book, but i couldn't say for sure

on the other hand, we had behnisch und behnisch and they were like the most laid-back vcs ever -- and stefan behnisch has this thing for old ford broncos and LA

Nov 14, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

There was huge model of the 3d city on display at UCLA, though it was built and designed at the Berlage Institute in Rotterdam.

Nov 14, 05 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Maas collaborates in a project we have currently at the office, some ppl say he's not very bright (even ppl who wa swith him at the OMA times) and, i mean, u can havce ur own opinion after their books and publications, what about this project they have in spain which is only like the shape of the region extruded??? and the new appment building in madrid??? owners are complaining about things like a bathroom with shower in between kitchen and dinning room with no ventilation and stuff like that...but hey, the stairs are red, thats "sexy" (as their sensei will say)...

also, what can u tell me about the "region maker"??? the "data scapes"??? i dunno i think MVRDV is mainly "bulchet".....

suddenly the serpetnine pavillion came to my mind...i wonder why...

Nov 15, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

After Toyo Ito, all the serpentines are a boatload of crap

Nov 15, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
dia

agreed.

Nov 15, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

oh, and coming to the point, i always thought some MVRDV projects are very innovative (the one that comes to mind first is the Dutch Pavilion), but there seems to be some kind of disconnect betwen all their projects - mayne that is a good thing? dont know....

Nov 15, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
dia

There's a Freudian slip for you...

Nov 15, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: