Archinect
anchor

Looking for Shared Office Space in Philadelphia:

myka

I am moving to Philadelphia around the beginning of January 2006. I am maintaining my current position with my firm in NYC in order to finish up a project but will be working on it solo in Philadelphia. I was wondering if anyone knows of any cooperative or shared office space - preferably between architects/designers - in the Philadelphia area.

Nov 10, 05 12:49 pm
quixotica

Myka, are you looking just for a space to set up in or an actual office to share resources and materials?

Nov 10, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
myka

To begin with, I think it is a space to set up in. I am finishing up a project with the firm that I currently work for. This would be for about 4 to 5 months. We have a relationship with a consultant of ours in Philadelphia and are talking to them about the possibility of me setting up there. If that falls through, I thought it would be a good idea to reach out and see if there were any other possibilities.
I see two possible scenarios: 1) I work in a space that is already equipped with PC, phone, printer, etc and my firm essentially pays "rent." 2) I work in a space with none of the above and my firm supplies the necessary equipment. In short, we're quite flexible.

I should also add that this is all a very interesting situation. If things materialize in Philadelphia in the way of work, there is a possibility that my firm would have me open an office there. This could potentially lead to a more long-term scenario in terms of office space need. If nothing materializes, then I would begin to look for work in a local firm but would be preparing myself to open my own office within the next five years. This means that I am looking to form mutually beneficial relationships towards accomplishing that goal.

What do you have in mind?

Nov 10, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Well as far as shared studio space is concerned im not too sure whats out there, but for just a space, I happened to have just designed a group of artists lofts for a friend of mine who bought an old warehouse in the Port Richmond area. (the area is so-so, definatly on the border of a gentrification surge if nearby fishtown is any indication.) the lofts haven't been constructed yet so size could be negotiated depending on your needs. I have no idea what he's asking for for the spaces, but if your interested i could find out, and if your looking to split it, ive been contemplating renting one myself to set up my darkroom/screen printing/ whatever other artistic endevor enters my brain at any given moment.

Nov 10, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
myka

Hmm .... sounds interesting but I'm not sure if that's quite what I am looking for. There's the "Design Cooperative" in NYC where a bunch of young upstarts and such share what would normally be overpriced office space. Not that that is necessarily the only way to go, but I'm looking for an environment where I would actually be in contact with other architects, designers, etc - people, at least. The first idea brought up when my firm asked to stay on until the end of this project was that I work from home. I think my answer was a decided "no way."

Thanks for the response - if I was a little closer to opening my own office, I would definitely be interested. Let me know if you think of anything else.

Nov 10, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: