Archinect
anchor

Must Have 4 beginning an office?

todd

What would be your list of journals, codes, publications, etc. one would purchase to begin a self owned office. I have begun but thought it would be interesting to start a thread to allow others to see what they may have overlooked to have in their own prescribed office....

thnx in advance

Nov 8, 05 1:00 pm
Ms Beary

Graphic Standards
Espresso Machine

Nov 8, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

These days, a partner.

Nov 8, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
AP

hey todd,

My [prospective] list would include:

1. An equal number of Drafting tables and computer workstations.
2. Plenty of room for hand-modeling and harboring a deliberate mess.
2b. Plenty of pin-up surface
3. An espresso machine
4. At least one design/production partner.

not exactly what you asked for...but nevertheless...

Aaron

Nov 8, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
todd

one man operation... reference material is the key here. so far 3 desktops, 1 laptop, 1 HP plotter488CA, 1 HP9800 for 11x17, 1 Fax, T3cnxn, FL Building Code, AIA Architect Handbook of ProPractice, Steel Manual, TCA Tilt-Up Manual, Mech+Elect Manual, and other Eng. text books.

Nov 8, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

in that case, a licence

Nov 8, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

1. design partner
2. fabrication shop
3. subscription to Details magazine
4. coffee pot

Nov 8, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wow. The partner thing is running strong...

Nov 8, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Even Roark had Cameron, not exactly what we seem to be suggesting, but I always looked at that fact as an acknowledgement of some sort of collaboration even in Rand's philosophy.

Nov 8, 05 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
todd

currently working with a liscensed engineer,

reference materials was the topic but oh well.

Nov 8, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

im sure that you have a niucely used copy of graphic standards...
I just saw the AIA book on design-build, Im thinking of buying
Well, a good sustainability package
Builders' Field Guide to Energy Efficient Construction (Southern Electric International, 404/668-3445)—excellent source of tips and information on superior construction techniques, although focused on Northwest building codes and conditions; free while supplies last.

Building an Environmentally Friendly House (Massachusetts Audubon Society, 617/259-9500)—One of a series of very helpful little books; other titles are All About Insulation; Contractor's Guide to Finding & Sealing Hidden Air Leaks; Financing Home Energy Improvements; Home Heating with Wood & Coal; Oil & Gas Heating Systems: Maintenance & Improvement; Solar Ideas for Your Home or Apartment; and Weatherize Your Home or Apartment.

Climatic Building Design: Energy-Efficient Building Principles and Practice, by Donald Watson and Kenneth Labs (McGraw-Hill)—interesting, technical, and amply illustrated book on solar gain, infiltration and ventilation, climate control, comfort issues, and design strategies.

Environmental by Design, by Kim Leclair and David Rousseau (Professional Edition, 604/378-8189)—compares the environmental impacts of interior building materials, from insulation to furniture; comes in a binder with updates.

Environmental Resource Guide (American Institute of Architects)—comprehensive guide that discusses the embodied energy of building materials and the environmental aspects of their extraction, manufacture, use, and disposal.

Healthy House Building: A Design and Construction Guide, by John Bower (Healthy House Institute)—comprehensive book on construction materials and building practices that may affect your health, plus a listing of less toxic alternatives.

The Natural House Book, by David Pearson (Simon & Schuster)—beautifully produced book on natural building and decorating materials, energy and resource issues, sunlighting, and ideas for feeling good in your home.

The New Solar Home Book, by Bruce Anderson with Michael Riordan (Brick House)—update of a huge best-seller of the 1970s, offering lively and readable coverage of all the important aspects of passive and active solar energy systems and uses.

Passive Solar Design Strategies: A Guidebook for Designing Passive-Solar Structures (Passive Solar Industries Council, 202/628-7400)—the basics of passive solar, sun-tempering, direct gain, thermal storage mass walls, sun-spaces, and natural cooling strategies.

Passive Solar Energy, by Bruce Anderson and Malcolm Wells (Brick House)—update of a classic treatment of the topic, enhanced by Wells' entertaining and clearly informative drawings.

The Passive Solar Energy Book, by Edward Mazria (Rodale)—one of the best passive solar books around, now out of print.

Nov 8, 05 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ok...back on track then:

Sweets, but now there's an electronic version of it, so maybe just a subscription/membership to whoever runs the e-version (mcGrawHill?)

that Blayne Brownell Materials catalogue (TransMaterial?) would be good to have also, I would think...

Nov 8, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
todd

nice post +q

Nov 8, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.squ1.com/site.html

This website is great for reference to buy good software that will allow you to see the passive design features at work.

Nov 8, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

your portfolio

plenty of books with images of projects you can get behind. that way if you don't have a lot of built work, you can show them a picture of something you support, rather than they do the search without you.

Nov 8, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ok, back to reference materials. Our office just uploaded the digital graphics standards on the server. Surely not a complete replacement for the old book floating around this 10 man operation, but it is so fast when you need a quick answer.

Nov 8, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

essential

I think it only comes in metric but that's never been a big problem. My first edition of Ching is in imperial.

Nov 8, 05 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

forget the design partner....what you probably want is a business partner!

as far as reference goes, it sounds like you have a good start already....i would add:
-AWI manual (woodwork)
-NFPA 101, 13, and 80
-subsription to DETAIL
-subscription to Wall Street Journal or Barron's

Nov 8, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
todd

thnx cynic

I ordered the archiitect's pocket book BOTS briefed.

Nov 8, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
todd

anyone own any of the construction manuals sold by DETAILS mag? they are $140 in cost. better be pretty "detailed" for a buck 40 a piece.

http://www.detail.de/Shop/En/ProduktSprache/Englisch/Atlanten1

Nov 8, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

I would say that the single most used reference book in our library (outside of local town codes and International Residential Code book) is the "Contract guide" given to us by our insurance company. I am able to save significant dollars on lawyer's fees by not having to have the lawyer quible over language that my insurance company has already identified.

I am always amazed at how much liability is put on the Architect from seemingly benign language in a contract negotiation. This guide not only tells us what to language to look out for, but spells out the implications of that language and provides alternate phrasing.

Nov 8, 05 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what you really need is a client!

Nov 8, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

sorry this is a bit off topic, but it seems like the appropriate thread to ask the following:

how do you get clients? what's the best way to market yourself?

Nov 8, 05 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
todd

no cris, that would be your thread, please start a new one.

and vado retro, I have a few clients.

thnx for the input tyvek. I have explored the local town codes to some degree. I have met with the county at hand's landscape architect for all commercial projects, the building department director and lead man for all building approvals/permits.

Nov 8, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

sorry todd. not trying to hijack your thread.

Nov 8, 05 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
todd

no problem cris.

Nov 8, 05 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

a seven-figure trust fund

or a teaching position

because a neat stack of reference books
or a fee draining partner

wont pay the bills or the rent

Nov 9, 05 12:06 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

get you some of the AIA contract documents and such. they also have books on professional practice.

Nov 9, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
todd

thnx for the replies...

todd

Nov 9, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
RossW

game

Nov 9, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

if residential, the wire-bound guide to wood framing construction (i can't remember who wrote it, but it is very exhaustive not only of wood framing itself but just about any and all exterior details on residential)

Nov 9, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
form64

besides all the super cool technical items everyone listed so nicely and what every architect seems to forget and something ANY type of small business should have, no matter how many future clients you think you have lined up:

6 MONTHS TO 1 YEAR OF OPERATING CAPITAL IN THE BANK. GREEN CASHOLA KIDS.

that means enough to pay you, your partner and rent. drafters can be sent home if you don't do it yourself. so add it up. how little are you willing to work for if the money never comes in the door as fast as you expect or when you need cash to carry you through your first dry spell?

Nov 9, 05 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

1. Local zoning code.
2. Local building code.
3. Licensed version of Autocad
4. Quickbooks
5. Lawyer reviewed contract (if you plan on doing anything outside the scope of AIA B141)
6. Professional Liability Insurance

Optional:
Adobe Acrobat
SktechUp
Plan Analyst for the 2003 IBC (if it applies)
Couch, coffee table, extra chair
Operable Window

Nov 9, 05 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
jones

Nice chairs.

Nov 10, 05 3:10 am  · 
 · 
Suture

why yes! nice chairs of course!
and a turtle neck in black.
a fountain pen
funky glasses
a Muji sketchbook
a cardigan
a wheelbarrow to haul around all that ego
and a big sign with a loop to hang around ones neck
that says "i am an architect."

Nov 11, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
poly

not in order ... ofcourse

space standards
construction manuals
a whole set of cards of the best contractors and vendors in town
contact nos. of other architects
publication subscriptions (atleast 3 local) (2 international) .. whatever in budget
one copy of contract document
one copy of complete BOQ
one copy of bills, payment order etc.
rate list from atleast 3 different contractors
letter head
your own cards
fast computers
INTERNET CONNECTION fffffaaaassssstttteeessssttt
refrigerator
very good lighting
damn good seating
a place/corner to stand/sit outdoor
telephone line
music MUST MUST MUST ...all types
your favourite books ... i mean the most inspiring ones
local bye-laws book
alchohol / beer
place to sleep / bath
good CAMERA
LAPTOP
peaceful ... PLEASE DO NOT BUY CHEAP PLACE IN AN INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
pleasant company / partners ... brainstormers .. whatever
brochures and catalouges
a boxing bag

Nov 11, 05 6:52 am  · 
 · 
todd

what is the best source for space standards?

Nov 11, 05 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Kadam- F

how about a book that teach u how to balance your accounting sheet??

Nov 11, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

space-saver standards
some credit cards
a good credit rating
a rich patron

Nov 11, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
reverseplan

-wife repellant..
-ear plugs...good ones ..
-a squint...to fool your clients into thinking that you are paying attention
-ability to dodge contractors..any kind of annoying person at work..clients wife!!
-self-criticism
-irrational behavior.fake if if you can..
-a good sketcing ability..
-Ego.....
-a good sense of humor...and mix that with your ability to confuse people..
...a strong judgement..
a bag of rocks...
lots of tea/coffee..
-----Ahhh!! Cigerattes..
psst...regular ..sex!!
more humor..
and crazy clients..
preferably rich too...
...bed to sleep

and finally
a laptop..
design skills
visualisation skills..
microsoft excel
microsoft word

and a large mouth..

all of these and you are ready to get started..
and of course also ..
apply for a license..

Nov 20, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

SMACNA

Nov 20, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
nosnarb

Yes! SMACNA!! every office must have a mid 70's copy of the SHEET METAL AND AIR CONDITIONING CONTRACTORS' NATIONAL ASSOCIATION manual!!

http://www.smacna.org/

Nov 22, 05 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
todd

man, smacna manuals are not cheap and there are about 3 one would like to purchase. any one have any sites besides amazon, ebay, etc. that deal in used tech publications. I have been searching and if i come up with one beyond the amzon, ebay fold i'll post it.

Nov 23, 05 8:16 am  · 
 · 

THERES A BOOK THAT HOME INPECTORS HAVE FOR TAKING THEIR EXAM - TEXTBOOK. THIS BOOK IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS FOR IDENTIFYING PROBLEMS WITH EVERY SYSTEM OF VARIOUS HOUS TYPES YOU COULD IMAGINE. THIS BOOK COULD MAKE US LOOK SMART IN THE REMODEL ARENA.

SORRY I DONT HAVE THE BOOK. I'LL POST WHEN I FIND IT.

Nov 23, 05 9:45 am  · 
 · 
gruen

"get you some of the AIA contract documents and such. they also have books on professional practice."

here's a couple of my favorite pro practice books, I think a must read for anyone starting a firm - balance your books folks or you won't design anything.

Staying Small Successfully : A Guide for Architects, Engineers, and Design Professionals Frank A. Stasiowski (read w/a grain of salt, as it's more for the larger firm than the start up - strange, given the title, but has great ideas about how to run a firm. Also tends to push a firm towards money over design, so, obviously, you have to decide what YOUR firm will be.)

How to Start and Operate Your Own Design Firm - Albert W., Jr. Rubeling
(I think this is the right one - I think this is more for the start up firm, and it's OLD, but the methods are SIMPLE and still could work today.)

also:

Running an Office for Fun and Profit: Business Techniques for Small Design Firms - Rosslynn F Foote

What I use at work all the time:

local code books,
IBC code w/commentary
ADA / accessibility codes (note that ADA is online for free)
Structural steel shapes book (mine is OLD, but works great!) - note that if you just need steel shape sizes, these are online from many steel suppliers
binders from suppliers I use all the time - free, but take up space.

sometimes I use the Grainger catalog - industrial equipment
our office cad manual.

best of luck - i hope to join you soon in opening my own firm...

I'm want to do the thread " how do you get clients? what's the best way to market yourself?"

Nov 23, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
todd

in all reality; it's all about a great/fortunate meeting of a Land Developer who is willing to put faith in someone new to the arena and will LISTEN to HIS ideas. Put his vision on paper "first" then allow for the changes to progress. DO what HE asks and good things will follow(i.e. money but known to the powerful as staying "liquid").
However, I have just explained my current situation at hand but do feel the developer route is golden. Build what he wants and gain knowledge and good things will follow depending on how successful you make the first phase. Phases, Phases, Phases......

Nov 23, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
gruen

todd: i'm reading between the lines here - you've met a developer who is willing to hire you?

be very very careful. developers are notorious (did i spell that right?) for working you for ideas (and renderings) that they can take to the bank / backers, to get money. then they say they'll pay you...but usually the work ends up going to a more experienced firm.

you'll put in more time than you get paid for, possibly.

how not to be taken as a sucker? get a signed contract up front. if they are serious about keeping you on through the job, they'll sign it. if they want to use you, they won't. remember, you can write your free / cheap time into the contract, if you want to use it to get you the 'real' job later.

Nov 23, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
todd

thnx for the concern gruen, but no rook here. everything here is all good.

im on salary w/ bonuses, working directly with the SE on each project. Im ensured recongnition on each prj phase. i feel over-worked, i take friday off. simple as that.

Nov 23, 05 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
pumakiro

hey todd here an alumni from Uf...glad to hear you are opening your firm...Godd luck on your new endeavor....

Nov 25, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
realia

AIA Guide to Professional Practice. A little hokey, but it has some good guiding principals for actually running a firm - not necessarily running a business however. Your best source of info for that will be your friendly contemporaries. It pays to know people that are about 10 years ahead of you in starting a practice. They are sometimes eager to mentor, especially when it is clear that you are not in direct competition with them - not seeking the same projects. Find them at AIA meeting - use those damn worthless meetings for something!

Nov 26, 05 8:58 am  · 
 · 
todd

not really a firm but a start to say the least. thnx pumakiro.

Nov 27, 05 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: