anchor

Must Have 4 beginning an office?

adso

A good lawyer.

Nov 27, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

good thread

my list/advice

1. easily accessible music (enough for a 72hr rotation of varied music)
2. fairly good plotter (alot of beginners cost gets sucked into printing)
3. all in one printer/fax/scanner (damn would be nice if the added a coffee machine to it but i digress)
4. someone else (be it designer or business partner - but someone who can shift the weight of the practice - its an essential)
5. capital - can't stress this enough
6. literature (not reference material)
7. literature (purely reference)
8. a conference room (clients need not sit were you work - but it would be nice to see it)
9. a decent coffee maker and some gourmet coffee - not for you but you clients mostly
10. fresh air (you will find yourself needing to clear your head more and more)
11. A friend (nuff said)
12. a backup plan (singing, family, etc)

Nov 27, 05 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

true then, true now

May 16, 11 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Money.  You need money first and foremost.  From there, you can get anything else with a little luck, without it, you can't even fill a used coffee pot.

May 17, 11 12:03 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Old but good thread.

Wow, how many votes for the I codes and only one vote for the NFPA?  You'll NEED a copy of the 2000 edition, and if you have the money get the latest edition as well.  NFPA 101 overrides the I codes in every jurisdiction I work in but if you're in a jurisdiction with bespoke fire codes (i.e. North Carolina) than you need not worry.

Also a copy of the Federal Register / ANSI 117.1A if your doing public work and accessibility is an issue.

Also a Jura Carpresso maker is a must have, it'll grind the beans fresh for you and make Maxwell House taste like Illy:

May 19, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
KASAI

Forget the stuff. Future landfill items. Most book type information is now online, for free.

I would highly recommend you do two things: read the book E-Myth ... yes it is a business book. But it really makes to point ... why are you doing this? Are you doing this because you need a job? Or are you doing this because you have an idea that you want to sell and share with the rest of the world. It is a good read before you waste countless dollars and minutes ... and risk everything. A couple of days investment will get you focused on what you need to do to make your office really work.

And the second, know quickbooks inside and out. Know how to handle money. There are really good finacial books for architects / designers out there ... look them up on Amazon.

May 19, 11 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
KASAI

Let me correct my statement:  "most "reference" book information is now online, for free ...  including code books. The point is, when you are starting out, go light and travel fast. Only buy things your really need.

May 19, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
timamerica

A well stocked Bar

May 19, 11 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
b-money

www.madcad.com

Subscriptions are pricey, but it literally has everything you could possibly need digitized and searchable.  No more need to thumb through the books...  Heaven sent...

May 20, 11 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

If you're going to be doing any kind of custom detailing/fabricating, the McMaster Carr catalogue is highly helpful.

If you're going to be doing any kind of kitchen cabinet design, the Hafele catalogue is literally invaluable.  And in this case I vastly prefer the printed doorstop edition as the online stuff is extremely difficult to page through - very clunky and confusing design.

May 22, 11 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

A BUSINESS PLAN!!!!!

May 23, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
R5designgroup

All ICC Codes

Any local codes/ amendments

SMACNA

Graphic Standards

&

Google

May 23, 11 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: