Archinect
anchor

Resume Advice, professional or not?

duke19_98

Hey guys, I just put together a new resume and need some opinions. I'm considering "branding" myself with a logo I have created. See here:

http://www.arch.ttu.edu/Architecture/courses/2003fall/5341/bfrels/resume.htm

The air freshener logo will be part of my resume, website, business cards, portfolio, job application packaging, etc.

The question I have for archinect is... does the logo make my resume unprofessional? In most other fields I would not even consider placing a logo such as this on a resume, but I think that perhaps in the design field it may be appropriate.

The idea is to tie everything I present to the firm for employment into one package all branded by the "so fresh, so clean" logo.

What do you think archinect? I'm open to any and all constructive criticism on the logo and my resume.

Jun 18, 04 11:19 pm
Clancy Pearson

defenestrator

I think your resume is quite clean and informative. As for the logo, pro: shows you have a personality and this is a very important aspect of hiring someone. One thing we actually look for is a "personality" that is fun/good for the office. Sometimes personality is chosen over skill... cause we know that lack of experience can be worked on... personality - pretty set. con: the logo is cheesy - not very creative... a one liner. Maybe you could think of something that is a little more mysterious (for a lack of a better word).

Also, I would get rid of the -member list- as well as the -world travel-. The -member list- screams frat and the Knights of Architecture sounds way cheese. Not a stab at what you actually do as a knight... just that the whole -member list- sounds like a sausage-fest. Keep things open... don't pigeon hole yourself before you even walk in the door for a face to face.

So, basically, I think the rest of it is pretty strong.

good luck.

Jun 18, 04 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Hey thanks for the advice Clancy. Actually none of the organizations on the member list are Greek. Although they do have Greek names they are just honor societies that require certain volunteer work and high GPA. The frat thing is just not me.

As far as the Knights of architecture... didn't pick the name, but recognize the so called cheese factor.

thanks for the comments... they are helpful

Jun 18, 04 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
Clancy Pearson

Cool, my bad about the frat thing. Just sounds frat. I actually have no idea about that stuff. Greek n' all. So, guess you should leave them in.

rock.

Jun 18, 04 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

My two cents:
I really like the two-column layout. I've never seen that before.

I agree with Clancy about removing the "world travel" section, although I don't mind the membership section.

As for the logo, it's cute and glib, but it makes me think immediately of Outkast, so maybe that's not so desirable in a resume. Even if that is the association you're going for, it's not great because then it seems less than original to quote a song so directly.

Jun 19, 04 12:09 am  · 
 · 
cracker

looks great!

if you're trying to get a job at a car wash...

Jun 19, 04 12:12 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

what is the title of that outkast song... i new that phrase was stuck in my head from somewhere?

Jun 19, 04 12:27 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Nevermind I found it, I guess that is the title....

Jun 19, 04 12:30 am  · 
 · 
anthony dong

graphically, it's great......two columned is a really interesting approach.....just watch out that your type doesn't get too small/crowded on an 8 1/2 x 11 (I'm presuming you're printing this out on something like that) and that you leave enough white space on the page.

Lose the periods after the subject headings....perhaps a subtle color difference for the headings so that it catches the eye

Jun 19, 04 9:20 am  · 
 · 
JG

I didn't realize GPA's were accurate to the thousandth, 3.888? Just round it up.

I also agree with antdong, lose the periods

Jun 19, 04 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Mum

First of all, if you're trying to start your own consulting firm or you're hoping to get on the design team of a star firm, ignore my comments. I don't have any practical knowledge of what those types of resumes should look like. I also say this because you mentioned "branding yourself" and this has absolutely no meaning if you want to be an intern. You don't have enough skills or experience to "brand" anything. However, here are my comments if your looking to get your first "real job" as an architectural intern.

I see your professional skills as just a lot of unnecessary fluff. What was your extensive training in leadership skills? If you attended a prestigious think-tank workshop, state that, but the whole professional skills portion screams "young kid with huge ego". Maybe it would be more appropriate to use these phrases in an introductory statement about yourself at the top of the resume or, better yet, in your cover letter. These are observations you or others have about your dedication to your work. They are not necessarily professional skills - not this early in your career.

Your honors are very impressive and many employers are impressed with eagle scout ranking. They were once eagle scouts themselves. My current employer would probably hire you based on that alone. I agree with losing the world travel. Is it relevant to the position you are seeking? If, and only if, you are trying to get a job at a firm that has offices in Zurich or Berlin this would be pertinent. Otherwise, it looks like bragging.

You've had very little practical experience in an architecture firm and if that's what your applying for, your resume is too puffed up. I would seriously doubt that in 7 months you were able to learn enough about all of the things you mention when you worked at Urban Design Group to make it as valuable as you make it seem. If you did mainly CD's state that. That's enough. If you held the other end of the tape measure for 6 months, that's also valuable. If you worked in the door and window department at Lowes, we know what you did. If you were my son I would probably tell you to put that very thing on your resume too, but as a prospective employer, I know you learned some things about building materials. It's better for a prospective employer to see that you're at least honest about what little bit you did than to see you as padding your resume with false skills. I look at this resume as coming from someone who will come into my office and demand to be given his own project and be resentful if asked to do redlines and field measuring.

From December 2002 on you either didn't work or didn't have positions that would give you practical experience in architecture. However, when you worked, you seemed to hold on to your jobs for an appropriate length of time. The fact that you've had reasonably steady employment in some fashion, that you have a professional degree from an accredited school that will allow you to get your license, that you did well in school and that you know autocad and photoshop make you a good hire. The rest is a warning flag to an employer that you could be a little too much to handle.

The format of your resume looks great - the air freshener goes. :)

I hope that my comments are helpful. I did not intend to be too harsh but constructively critical. Wish you the best of luck.

Jun 19, 04 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Mum, Thanks for taking the time to critique my resume.

The "branding" concept is simply a reflection of my interest in presentation work, advertising, and graphic design. I see your point on the professional skills section. Your correct, the word "extensive" in this section could perhaps be a little exaggerated. My leadership and team building skills have come from countless training courses in the boy scouts, and several courses focusing on leadership and team building in the Business College. I always seem to be looked upon as the natural leader of the group. With that said, there is no way I expect to come into a firm and be anything other than a CAD jock trying to work his way up. I am confident though that eventually I will work my way up through the ranks to some sort of project manager.

Is there some other title that my describe these qualities better than "professional skills?"

As far as my work at Urban Design Group goes, I was in a very unique position. During my employment the firm was going through rough times (like most during that time period) and thus we did not have a steady flow of work in the construction document phase. It ended up being an excellent opportunity for me because every week I was doing something different. I felt that because I had experienced everything from design development to project archiving I should highlight that fact. Although I understand your point that it seems overly "puffed up" simply stating that I did CD's and Redlines would really be selling my experience there short.

The WORLD TRAVEL section seems to be getting a lot of negative attention. My reason for stating this was that I am looking for a position with an American firm that will either allow me to work in one of their foreign offices for a year or so, or will allow me to travel. When I begin looking for a job my primary goal is to work overseas for a year or two before I get involved with anything that ties me down.

Also JG... point well taken, I forgot to round my GPA's.

You guys have been great. Thanks

Jun 19, 04 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

I realized while I was doing yard work this afternoon that the Business background probably had something to do with the branding concept.

I think the qualities you describe about yourself are revealed through the facts in your resume. Eagle Scout says a lot. You obviously have the qualities you stated because you made Eagle Scout. You say that you are always looked on as the leader and, unfortunately, this is something your firm will have to discover for themselves. The "between the lines" of your resume will say that you are capable of being a leader. Meeting you and working with you will show them that you really are.

Your cover letter can explain in detail the things you want to add to your resume. Introduce yourself, say you are looking for X position with whatever firm the letter is addressed to and that you are looking forward to bringing the skills you learned through (list activities and skills) to their firm and you look forward to an interview. If you've done your homework you'll know which firms provide travel opportunities and you can mention that would be interested in discussing employment opportunities in their offices in (insert city). Or save that for the interview. They might think you're only interested in travellng to Outer Botswana.

One thing I should mention. I work in DC, a very culturally diverse area. When we advertise, only 10% of our applicants hold degrees from American schools. Only half of those are from accredited architecture schools. 90% have degrees and experience from Iran, Pakistan, India or Spain. Half of those are still actually living in those countries. This won't sound fair, but when we see a resume with an American degree and any intern type experience, it goes to the top of the pile. Texas may be a lot more competitive for you than I've giving your resume credit for. I read Clancy Pearson's post and I suspect that in my area we lower the bar a little for American applicants. An applicant that has a good command of english and some local experience is the first thing we look for. Personality is a rarity.

Jun 19, 04 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
geezer

I second Mum's critique and give a shout out to the double column. "Skills" at your level should include knowledge of certain software for drafting and graphics. Those skills are the bare minimum for even getting an interview; few firms want to train autocad... I always look for the 3D chops on entry level resumes because that is one of my firms weaknesses.

Our main office has a whole room full of "almost got my greencard" Filipino and other SE asia guys who REALLY know how to draw and paint renderings... a couple of them are not even trained as architects but are fine artists. Their work is beautiful, but doesn't represent the best practices that we aspire to... It's really too sweatshop for words...

Somewhere in my garage full of stuff I could never throw away is a Mr. T Airfreshener... Go on ebay and try and find something rockin' for a brand.

Good luck!

Jun 19, 04 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
tman

i kno that this maybe alittle picky, just wondering why your name isnt capitalized but every other "title" is. I guess it doesnt really matter, just seeing where you were thinking about that

Jun 19, 04 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Hey Geezer, I pity the fool who didn’t have a Mr. T air freshener.

It is hard for me to imagine, and a little depressing, that being a white American male the so called bar is lowered. It is hardly the case here in Texas. I'm very interested in leaving the area, and perhaps the country. I'd like to get away from my university's umbrella and get a job on my own merit rather than relying on the established network of alumni. I'm looking to broaden my horizons and establish a strong base of experiences that will ultimately mold my architecture.

Some have expressed concerns that potential employers may actually be afraid to hire someone with a master degree in business. The thinking is that someone with a business degree may not be interested in a long term career in the architectural office. This does not apply to me at all. I felt that the business degree would be invaluable in teaching me skills for the business side of the architecture world.

I've thought about the logo a lot today. Although it hasn't got great reviews here, I still feel like it represents my personality best.

As you may have noticed, I don't graduate until spring 2005. So I have a little bit of time to tweak this stuff. I'll finish my architectural thesis this fall and hope to begin applying and interviewing in December.

I talked to my Dean the other day about the possibility of going back to South Korea and teaching architecture at a University for a year. Working there in an architecture firm is almost impossible due to the market etc.

Do you guys think teaching for a year then coming back to the states will hurt me anyway?

Jun 19, 04 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

tman...

This may sound weird, but I don't ever capitalize my name. Its just how I sign my name. I could give you a load of bs and theory on it, but the real reason is I just like the way it looks in lower case rather than upper.

Jun 19, 04 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

i'm with ya there defen... me neither. frankly i really dislike capital letters. some people really take offense to this, such that i have to run a script on any email i send them or they won't respond.

Jun 19, 04 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
tman

fair enough. I too like the lower case, just wondering.

Jun 20, 04 12:46 am  · 
 · 
anti

I'd like to get away from my university's umbrella and get a job on my own merit rather than relying on the established network of alumni.

I would say you should rethink this part -- work the alumni network they like to see thier school prosper. Doesn't mean you have to stay in Texas or even work for one of them, but don't discount the help they can offer you. Your own merit is a work in progress, finding the right first job is really finding the place that will allow you to grow and learn quickly.

one last thing on the logo:
I went the unique, graphic design heavy presentation route when I left school as well, I had a logo, a different portfolio size/layout and a custom font. In hind-sight it worked to get my first job but I won't do it again. If you have enough quality work, just let it stand by itself. Do it clean and simple. If you haven't enough work yet (as I didn't) making the resume/portfolio/package stand out might be the way to go.

real name, no gimmicks

Jun 20, 04 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
satan

bad idea...

if you really want to get into an interview, this format will be passed on for other resumes that are easier to read at a glance. 5 sec. thats all you get on a first pass. your portfolio can be designed, but not your resume. trust me. i did it both ways and i got way more calls with the traditional, boring layout. its a buisness document. and people in the postion of hiring are NOT interested in you graphic ability, at least right away. you have to get their attention with WORDS. and its got to be bulleted somehow, those paragraphs under work experience are too narrow and can't be scanned fast enough. i know you spent some time on it, and its a nice look, but not a serious job hunters resume.

also, you just graduated from a professional institution, get rid of the lowclass stint at lowes and focus on three jobs that put you in a better light. and no ones cares that you're a jetsetter, or a boyscout. think... WHY WOULD SOME ONE HIRE ME? be ruthless with it. and, what is it you want to do? work in an arch office? then let them know you can draw, think and pump cad, cuz thats why you'll be hired. know your marketable skills and HIGHLIGHT them.

Jun 20, 04 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
A

Satan is right about this one. I did a 'designed' resume right out of college and got a few calls back but when I moved on from my first professional job I used a simple standard format and got a lot of response. Possibly because I had more experience but I'll never know for sure.

From what I've heard the market is still quite saturated so you might be sending out several dozen of these resumes. Make one that is a quick scan, both digital and visually. I would higlight the boyscout thing though. You don't see that often and to some HR employee it could be a standout factor. Remember you are competing against other recent grads that all know how to pump AutoCad but I bet few were ever Eagle Scouts. Lose the travel. Anyone can do that and it doesn't necessarily make you a better designer.

Jun 20, 04 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

eagle scout and a knight of architecture?!?!

you must get laid tons mister man

=P

Jun 20, 04 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Ormolu

I would re-order your resume to put your experience in the first column, right after education.

Resumes that list a lot of "skills" and/or "objectives" before work history/experience mark one as a new grad/entry level applicant. As your career develops those items usually move toward the end of the resume - and ultimately a lot of them will fall off of it completely.

You don't necessarily have to keep your work history chronological. If you only have a few architecture jobs under your belt, and a bunch of other stuff, you can make yourself an "architecture experience" category, followed by a "related experience" category. In this way you could move the Lowe's retail experience and the sales and course assistant stuff down below your architecture firm specific jobs, even though it doesn't work that way chronologically. I strongly recommend doing this, because I know from my own experience that when I glance over interns' resumes quickly I often get to the first retail or work-study job and assume everything that comes after it will be non-architecture college and part-time stuff.
Are you comfortable in both mac and pc operating systems? If so I'd add this to your computer skills list. It's something a lot of my former employers looked for and something I look for now. Can you write spreadsheets? Program in visual basic? If so I'd expand your "Microsoft Office" item to specify this.

The word "laboratories" is spelled incorrectly under "Graduate Research Assistant."

I'm neutral about the logo. If you like it and feel it represents you well then keep it.

Definately round off the GPAs as suggested. I've never asked anyone their GPA in an interview, and never been asked mine either - but I doubt it can hurt you to list them.

Jun 20, 04 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Ormolu, thanks for the comments. I like the idea of making a related experience category that Highlights the internship. I was worried that it would get buried under the other jobs. Perhaps I will start the right hand column at the top with Related Experience and list the internship and the construction job. Then a second "experience" category could follow up with the other jobs.

Does anyone else have any specific comments about not listing the jobs in chronological order?

Also thanks for catching that spelling mistake. I don't know how I missed that.

BOYSCOUT: the general consensus is to highlight the Eagle scout rank. Any ideas on how to do this . I placed it in its own line below honors and affiliations. This category is in chronological order. Is there another place for it?

As far as highlighting AutoCAD any more than I have... I choose not too. I've stated that I am proficient in AutoCAD as I feel most graduates will be. Anyone can "pump out" AutoCAD. I highly doubt this is little more than a minimum requirement, and do not feel it should be highlighted any further.

I hate bullets, but understand the need for a little more clear way of differentiating the major headings of the Resume. Any ideas on this?

Anti: I've actually got plenty of architectural school work if that is what you mean. I could use a little more time as an intern in a firm, but who couldn't. The problem I'm having is narrowing my studio work down to a few projects that represent me best. My current portfolio is 30+ 8.5 X 11 pages. I need to seriously cut this down. So I'm not using the graphic stuff to supplement work, just to perhaps garner a bit more time in the pivotal seconds before the job applications are trashed.

Thanks for the constructive comments.

Jun 20, 04 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
satan

you hate bullets... but hr people love them. get over it and give them what they want to see. you can be cool later on after you get the job. and you can call it what ever you want, but NO ONE reads a paragraph on any resume. one line = one phrase or one sentence.

you've got some serious work to do on this...

'excellent creative problem solving skills' - EVERYONE is excellent at this, give an example instead.

'internal motivation and intense dedication' - WHO would hire someone that didn't fit that description? we've heard it before.

'extensive training in leadership and team building' - great, but you're not going to be leading or team building as an intern.

get rid of the 'architectural comp. lap assistant', do you really want to be responsible for maintenance of printers and such at your new work place?

be more specific about the 'grad research' position. this is something to bullet and say what you accomplished, not what you were responsible for. give numbers, quantify and drop names if applicable.

as before. 86 the lowes job and FOCUS on the construction job. any first hand construction knowledge is great... but don't say it 'gained building systems knowledge' if you were a laborer, say something like 'fabricated cast in place concrete forms' or 'installed bur and singleply roofing system with alum. flashing sheets and reglets.' get the lingo going... it portrays your real understanding of construction materials and methods.

AND...

you've had some intern experience. so make a big deal of it, but not by listing the responsiblities that ALL interns have. make a point of quantifying the work you did. be very specific like... 'reviewed/redlined 50 page structural steel shop drawing set' or 'determined solar exposure and prevailing wind effects on schematic design.'

and finally...

NO ONE likes salesmen, even other salesmen. and unless you're going after a sales job, don't say you've sold software to architecture offices and students.

Jun 20, 04 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

SATAN: Points well taken... excellent critique.

appreciate the help.

Jun 20, 04 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98
http://www.arch.ttu.edu/Architecture/courses/2003fall/5341/bfrels/02resume.htm

Hey guys, I've made some changes in the formatting and content of the resume in an attempt to make my architecture experience stand out more. I've also removed most of the so called fluff.

I've implied the Eagle Scout award at the very end of the page hoping that it will be more visible there.

So, what do you think? Does this version pass the 5 second test better than the last? Its extremely hard to evaluate these kind of things after you've stared at it for hours like I have.

How'd I do SATAN?

Jun 21, 04 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

I've only looked at your "updated" version and I just wanted to make a couple of comments. I have reviewed several resumes recently (I am looking to hire) and I would say that your resume looks fine graphically. But, I would lose the part of your experience at Urban Design Group about the recycling and portfolio review. That bullet just seems goofy compared to the other experiece items listed under that job. The other items seem plenty for a short-term "student" employment. Also, I would not increase the point size of the Eagle scout thing. It looks like a mistake.

Also, I would put capital letters on your name. You might not like it, but as an employer, I am reading a cover letter and resume as a proxy for the professionalism that you will display in your paperwork in my office. And your name just does not look professional (to me).

About the graphic, I personally think its funny. But, it screams "student".

Good luck.

Jun 21, 04 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I agree with you. Butterballs. Although I normally do not capitalize my name, it does not fit here. Not sure what to do with the eagle scout thing. If the logo screams student, then great...that’s perfect.

Jun 21, 04 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I've looked at both versions and think this one looks a lot better, but have a few comments based on my personal preferences (I work for myself now but have been in charge of reviewing resumes in other offices):

- I would leave out the GPA. It is obvious from your honors & affiliations category that you were very involved in school, and based on your work experience and the way you present your skills you are intelligent enough to be able to work effectively an an intern architect... GPA is not standard and I would take out unecessary info. to keep it short & clean.
- I also agree about the size of the Eagle Scout thing. If you feel it should be bigger I would make everything in that section bigger.
- You don't need the periods after the section headings. I know it's a graphic thing, but it's improper use of punctuation!(sorry, a pet peeve) In some sections you use periods after the descriptions and in others you don't. If you have to use the periods, make it consistent.
-I personally have no problem with the lack of caps - that's also a graphics thing that might not be recognized by some people. In terms of it not being professional, we're a licensed design/build firm and we have no caps on our business cards or letterhead - I doubt it loses us any clients. It depends on what type of firm you are looking at, and the same goes for the graphic. If you're going for corporate and/or conservative(depending also on where you are looking - out here in LA we're more relaxed), I would probably lose it. Maybe you could do 2 versions depending on who you are sending it to.
- If there is any way to fit it I would try to put a space between the dates & the list of responsibilities below. It will make it easier to read. I like the font & the way you've divided the titles up. Check the spacing thoroughly. For example, there seems to be more space between the comma & 2005 than the comma & 2004 in the education section. After Adobe in the software skills area, you don't need the colon if you have the brackets, use one or the other.

Also, I used to have a funny/wierd graphic on mine that was a sketch of from an installation I did. I never had a problem getting a job with it, BUT now on our company CV we don't have any graphics, and it feels more professional.

Jun 21, 04 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

R.A. Rudolph, thanks for the spacing suggestion... it does read better. I'm still a little back and forth on the capitalization of my name.

thanks for the fresh eyes.

Jun 21, 04 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I'm sorry but it seems very light weight graphically. no tone, texture, variation etc. the effort on the air freshener thing I don't get ( as in its not helping me think I should hire this guy ). As a first glance it would go to the bottom and I didn't even feel like I should spend the time to look at the content. I look at the overall first impression and then look over the content, need info on the project types ie wood frame , steel, non- combustable. Speak about yourself

sorry doesn't do it for me.

Jun 21, 04 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
cheapo

You've already got loads of feedbac, but I think the travel section should stay. Rename it 'Travel' maybe so it sounds less grandiose, but travel is considered by many to be an essential part of an architect's education and I can't think of any reason it would be counted as a negative.

Jun 22, 04 9:15 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Thanks J.... I'd be comfortable leaving off the logo on selected resumes to selected firms. Do you know how I might narrow down which firms might actually toss the resume because of the logo?

My thinking is that smaller firms where personality is more of a consideration may accept it more than lager corporate firms.

I was planning on using the logo in the packaging that I send to the firms. I'm thinking I will seal my portfolio, cover letter, and resume in some time of clear shipping bag with the "cheezy" logo. The thinking is to have the whole package stand out among the hundreds of applications. With that, do you think the whole package will be ditched because it is different?

Just curious. I like your suggestions about the sizes of the degree listings and the honors category.

Jun 22, 04 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
soleproprietornow

From the perspective of 31 years past graduation, here's my two cents.
Lose the logo. Somehow, I don't equate a masters in business with that "so clean, so fresh" bit: personally I hate air freshener chemicals being added to the air I breathe, and it sounds suspiciously like it could also be a toilet bowl cleaner. Just my impression.
I like the double column, an interesting touch.
Work experience is well stated, gives a pretty realistic overview it seems.
The GPA I go back and forth on....since I think grades are pretty meaningless anymore, given the overall dumbing down of the american educational system (another topic I realize, but read anything by John Gatto for more info), so the grades mean nothing to me....but I realize that some people might care. Personally, when I got out of school, and in interviewing for subsequent jobs, nobody ever asked what my gpa was and I would be surprised if when you leave it off, anyone asks you either. But, it is too small a part of the resume to really worry about.
Overall, I would probably consider it instead of tossing it. If it came packaged as you have already described, I would admire the cleverness and initiative, but wonder why you would use a clear/transparent envelope: does this indicate some kind of exhibitionist personality or lack of discretion? Again, it would be something I wonder about, but I would probably still consider you as a potential hire.
I would keep the Eagle scout thing, it will set you apart from most others.
Finally, I agree with the post about milking the alumni network for whatever it is worth, realizing that there have to be other alumni who have flown the Texas coop and are practicing elsewhere. Take advantage of anything you can to get in the door: after that your performance should speak for itself.

Jun 22, 04 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

like the format but check the overall formatting of the entire document

this works:

- xyhjjjllmml
ammmmm

this just gets lost:

- mmmmm
mmmmmm

the bullet/dash or whatever gets eaten by the line of text below it, thereby negating the emphasis placed by the hyphen.

your justification seems to be off some text has more spacing than others - probably due to the need to have the two column appearance.

make sure line spacing - between lines - is consistent, at least within the same paragraph.

make sure all of your honors and dates are consistently formatted.

the references on request thing is not necessary, and never offer anything that you don't either already have or know the contents thereof.

perhaps listing your level of proficiency in each software is useful, i always hate when people say they have autocad exp and then don't know what an xref is...i have more to say but method and red is on..

peace

Jun 22, 04 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ummm my this works and this doesn't did not work. line your second line of text under the first line of text, it lets the hyphen standOUT.....

Jun 22, 04 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

I am not so sure about the logo. I like the idea, the columns, but I am not sure that an architecture firm will want the idea of hiring a 'brand'. If I were hiring, for architecture and not graphics, I would want the person to assume the identity of the firm. Might just be me, I think it could be a 'hey, that's cool' or 'hmmm, why?'.

Next is I'd try to give some heirarchy to the columns, so things line up, at least a little. Right now it just looks like it was typed in. Use the grid you've started to give some logic to it. It's more than a resume calls for, but if you are going for it, keep going!

Overall, though, it's interesting and that's a good thing.
I agree with beta, give some hint as to your knowledge of the software you've listed.

Show us if you do more.

Cheers.

Jun 22, 04 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
cheapo

Also, I can't believe people, on a board filled with designers, are flipping out about a two-column layout. 'Oooh interesting.' 'I think it's OK....' etc.

OF COURSE A TWO-COLUMN LAYOUT IS OK!
Spread into one column, most items on a resume are one line. This often results in a striped appearance and a page that is more difficult to scan.

Jun 23, 04 8:20 am  · 
 · 
sure2016

I just don't understand the logo. Are you a big outkast fan? Are you extremely hygienic? What does it mean?

I think it would be good on a t-shirt. I think Id drop it from the resume.

Jun 23, 04 11:52 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

J..."my guess is that in the end you'll find that two-out-of-three of your resumes will be sans logo." what do you mean?

The spaces are getting screwed up because I've created the whole thing in Photoshop. (I hate WORD).

As for the meaning of the logo...it would be more understandable if you viewed the opening video I’m making for my website. Picture this, an old beat up truck is driving down a country road in the Panhandle of Texas. The dirt road stretches on for miles and there is not a tree in sight, only fields of buffalo grass and barbed wire fence. The camera then cuts to a perspective in front of the truck and the truck starts to slow down quickly. The view changes to inside the bed looking through the front glass and on the horizon you see a figure standing in the middle of the endless dirt road. The truck stops abruptly and you see the dirt as it is passing the truck towards the figure. As the dirt clears there is a green pine tree air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror and is slowly coming to a stop.

The pine tree symbolizes a goal that I am trying to achieve. It like architecture is something that is not readily available in the small country town I grew up in. I'm trying to get away from this area and broaden my horizons, branch out if you will (pun intended). So Fresh, So Clean is a statement that describes my personality and fresh out of school tenderfoot like mentality. I only recently discovered that it was an outkast song. It was probably in my subconscious though. The modified barcode at the bottom stems from my fascination with consumerism. I used a barcode program to change the letters in my name into numbers. (Most of the barcode you will not be able to see in the logo because it is so small.) I was thinking about going the whole distance with this and creating business cards in the tree shape. I am however slightly concerned that the actual shape may be a trademark violation. I am currently trying to research this.

Well you asked for it... there it is. Call bs if you want, but that's what is to me. Thanks for all your help.

Jun 23, 04 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

I would advise against tree shaped business cards. Anything not of standard size will only be a niusance.

Jun 23, 04 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98
http://www.arch.ttu.edu/Architecture/courses/2003fall/5341/bfrels/07resume.htm

Well, I talked to a professor and he suggested that I include ALL of my scholarships rather than selecting just a few. So, I've added the rest of the scholarships. I also moved the Boy Scout thing back down so that the honors read chronologically. I deleted the office supply bullet from my internship description and placed the travel section under Architectural Experiences.

I've also changed the logo. It should read more as an air freshener rather know. I'm still iffy on it. I tried grey scaling it, but it looks crappy then. I think all the spacing is fixed between the paragraphs. I also centered it on the page better (may not be able to tell in html)

I'm leaving the References Available thing because some employers will ditch any resumes that do not include the offer to supply them. I've also left the bullets the way they are because the justification gets jacked when I try to indent the bottom line. (i'm in photoshop).

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF Plam should be capitalized or not? Thanks for your help.

Jun 23, 04 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

I'm laughing so hard right now, I'm sorry. You're no longer clean, just fresh? Please, please, please get rid of the air freshener. You're getting way too much feedback and it's beginning to backfire.

Just spell out Plastic Laminate. Abbreviations of materials are best left to construction drawings.

Make the logo go away and you have a beautiful resume.

Jun 23, 04 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
chico

i understand that word is not a choice program when trying to craft a beautiful resume, but it would solve many of the problems you are having. you either need to make photoshop work (line spacing and indents) or scrap it. there is nothing so sophisticated here that it cannot be accomplished in word. the bullet indents in particular, they look especially unflattering.

Jun 23, 04 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

I know this is late but seriously, you should not do your resume in photoshop. Preferably Indesign or Quark, Illustrator if you have to, but not photoshop. That isn't what the program is for. Excel would give you better results than photoshop.

Jun 23, 04 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Alan

Agreed. Indesign or Illustrator it should be...!

Jun 24, 04 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

You get to interview, the interviewer asks about the logo. You explain…

"The pine tree symbolizes a goal that I am trying to achieve. It like architecture is something that is not readily available in the small country town I grew up in. I'm trying to get away from this area and broaden my horizons, branch out if you will (pun intended). So Fresh, So Clean is a statement that describes my personality and fresh out of school tenderfoot like mentality. I only recently discovered that it was an outkast song. It was probably in my subconscious though. The modified barcode at the bottom stems from my fascination with consumerism. I used a barcode program to change the letters in my name into numbers."

You will not get the job.

If you must keep the logo, ditch the text and the barcode.

When they ask you about it, just respond that it’s a personal identity graphic and that it fulfils the same role as a practice logo. They won’t forget you.

Jun 24, 04 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Ormolu

It is incorrect to put a period after a section heading. I know that others have mentioned this before, but this is still bugging me. Check "Elements of Style" or similar writing guides if you don't believe folks here.

I agree that "p-lam" (and "gyp", etc.) should not be used in those abbreviated forms in a resume. Either spell the words out or get rid of the terms entirely. Personally I wouldn't specify that the custom cabinetry was p-lam in the first place. I think you've done good things with refining the specificity/relevency of your various tasks at this firm - but if you get TOO specific it begins to backfire because it points out the limits of your experience again - i.e. you're making it clear that you have experience with only a few materials. Higher end custom cabinetry is more difficult to detail and is rarely p-lam, so it's in your best interest to be a bit vague.

I'm not sure I was clear about the two groupings of jobs before. I'd call the first group "Architecture Firm Experience" (or "Architectural Experience", as you've done) and the second group "Related Experience." This way it makes it clear that these jobs have some connection to the field and so the category is less likely to be skipped entirely.

One risk with this air freshener thing: your resume will be xeroxed repeatedly - even in a small firm - as it is passed to various people in the firms. The first time this happens your logo will turn black. The next few times it will become more and more blobbish. It's not a good idea to use anything that won't stand up to repeated copying - because resumes often work their way UP the chain of command - meaning that if you make it to the principal's office it may be as a 5th generation copy.

I've never heard of anyone throwing away a resume because it didn't say "references available...." This is one of those things (the other is "Objective") that ALWAYS looks like space filler. References are always assumed to be available and will be requested if needed.

I think your awards section is getting lengthy - but I suppose it will shrink down again in the future as jobs start to fill more space. One thing I don't understand though: previously it was clear that you'd won some of these scholarships in multiple years. Now it seems you've taken some of these off. It is ok to list something as "2003 and 2004" or "2002-2004" or "2002, 2003"...
Capitalize "President".

Finally: do you know the square footages and/or project budgets for any of the larger projects you worked on? If so include them.

Jun 24, 04 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Thanks for the comments. I know that its incorrect to put periods after the headings. So its not that I don't believe anyone. I just like them there.

I think your suggestion about the general descriptive terms (gyp and plam) is a good point.

I'm really close to ditching the logo, but i'm trying come up with something for the top. Without the logo it is incredibly empty.

I agree, my awards section will decrease dramatically as my education background will be much less important after my first post graduate job. The scholarships are generally awarded for a school year which is usually listed 2002-2003. So before I was listing the school year in which they were awarded. Because I was award two scholarships during several school years, I felt it was better to simplify the date.

I'm do not have the square footages of the projects I worked on, but could contact the UDG and get them.

This has been a very helpful thread. thanks guys.

Jun 24, 04 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: