Archinect
anchor

Please redline with pencil

gruen

I prefer it when the boss redlines a drawing with a pencil. That way, I can spend all day trying to find the redlines, rather than picking them up. How about you?

Actually, at one firm, we had a neato system:

Red = the thing stays (ie: new info to add to drawing)
Green = the thing goes (ie: gets deleted)
yellow = the thing has been done / completed
gray pencil = notes to each other (purple would work here too)

Oct 26, 05 1:18 pm

The majority of our redlines are done on 11X17 sheets whenever necessary, so after the redlines have been yellowed we print out a fresh copy of the document and staple it over the redlined sheet.

Oct 26, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

"whenever necessary" this bug I've caught from my coworkers is obviously getting to me... should be "whenever possible"

Oct 26, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
aseid

we do a similar system

red-checking (all "redline") by senior architect

green check next to "redline" - approved by lead architect for modification

blue circle around entire red and green check w/ a print out of correction(entire sheet)-acknowledgement by drafter that correction was picked up

green circle around blue circle- verification by project manager that correction was finalized and final print is correct

gray pencil-notes to eac h other

corrected sheet is placed in the full check set

yeah its a pain but it make sure things are thoroughly reviewed,

btw, our Prime is an ISO 9001 registered company so we are obligated to do it

all in pencil!!!

Oct 26, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

my second favorite - a red (or any other) question mark, without any indication of what the question is.

Oct 26, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

For a random art project I've always wanted to grab a can of red spraypaint and redline and existing building that I don't like...

Oct 26, 05 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

(or any other) = (or any other color)

I like the ISO 9001 system, but wow, that must take forever. I wonder how this modifies the traditional AIA contract - do drawings have to be "perfect" now?

Oct 26, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
A

I've always drawn a bubble around notes that don't go on the drawing. And I've always worked in red pen. People tend to read that the best. And when does a principal architect actually have the time to redline? I'm the only one redlining, unless I'm letting an intern give it a shot. Then after redlines are picked up a draft set is redlined by a "2nd set of eyes" which is usually another associate. Then those minimal redlines are picked up and then we issue.

Oct 26, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

actually that ISO 9001 system sounds like a good one, except when you don't have enough time to check at all

which is how things are typically done in my experience

Oct 26, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

not how i typically do things, mind, but from hearing others' stories...!

Oct 26, 05 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Pixel, that sounds like a great idea! A spray painted question mark pointing to a goofy doo-dad, spray paint to extend the too-short railings on the balconies higher, a window painted in that should have been there, i can see it now.

Oct 26, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I've always wanted to splatball gun "bad" buildings - of course, I get to decide what "bad" is...

Oct 26, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

we get our redlines from the project manager, in red pen.
when you pick them up you yellow the redlines out, print a new sheet, recheck the work, and go over yellow in pink, put redlines in the flat file, and new sheets in the office set.
then before any drawings leave the office the most experienced intern goes over the redlines (that should have been yellowed and pinked out) in blue, checking one last time.

Oct 26, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

It started off as an odd comment in studio one night, but kinda turned into this crazy idea to find a building and do a complete redline of it. I think it could be an interesting composition transposing 2D annotation onto a 3D object...

I also have a crazy dream of finding an abandoned building and finding its construction drawings and transposing the notes and such onto the building, calling attention to forgotten details and elements of the building...

Oct 26, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Very nice ideas, Pixel...I'd love to see it done.

Oct 26, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

there was a building in san francisco in the mid 80's whose facade was painted to replicate the facade in the blueprint (not blueline) of the construction documents. So the whole facade was painted blue, and all trim, etc was painted white. Notes were painted on the facade in white with arrowheads pointing to the objects.
it reminded me of the apochryphal story about the contractor who built the north arrow on the site....

Oct 26, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

in my office

Red = changes
Yellow = change completed
Green = additional changes (over yellow and red)
gray = maybe a change / notes

Oct 26, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

The way I do it is -

red = additions
white-out = deletions (but it is hard to see sometimes because the paper is white too)
yellow = highlighted stuff that someone was dwelling on and I don't need to know about.
black = don't even bother trying to figure it out
brown = throw the entire set away immediately!

Oct 26, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i heard of some school system where the teachers were told not to use red marks to correct their students work. red creates stress. it was suggested that lavender pens be used. i suggested this to my boss. he through a red pen at me.

Oct 26, 05 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Pixel: this was done at Yale's A+A building in the mid 1990s - an artist "redlined" the building to show where it differed from Rudolph's original intent. But the redlines were not all red, and they weren't actually spray-painted onto the building, but paper indicators affixed to it.

Oct 26, 05 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

in my old office the entire team would sit down for a day or two, from the project leader to the bottom draftsman and every page would be gone over, taking usually about a day to redline. we had no other color. Everyone knew exactly what had to be fixed, who was gonna fix it and why. amazing way to learn. this is sort of an extension of the meeting system rem talks about in smlxl where hierarchy is destroyed in favor of universal knowledge. this is also why we worked such long hours, but totally paid off in terms of efficiency and didn't feel at all anal like each one of the above examples (no offense intended, but i get the feeling yall might agree anyway).

Oct 27, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
fordified

cool thoughts, pixelwhore. A reverse of that could be where redlines become embedded in the construction documents, interpreted and transcribed into the built work. Reminds me of school when we had to "build" something by using a Diebenkorn painting as construction documents.

Oct 27, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

damn Yale A+A building making me look bad... when I'm there for the Denari lecture I'm gonna kick it and show it how brutalist I can be...

Oct 27, 05 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
fordified

wait - is graffiti more meaningful than we thought?

Oct 27, 05 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: