Archinect
anchor

Printer Help?

jumpy

Anyone have any recommendations about printers? I was thinking about buying a printer to print out my portfolio. I figured that by the time I pay to print out 6-7 copies I could just buy a printer. I would only be printing 8.5x11 but it would need to be able to print borderless images. Any thoughts?

Oct 23, 05 8:17 pm
rothko67

I've had the best luck with Epson Stylus Photo printers, not sure which models are out now, but I bought a SP780 about 5 years ago. I think Epson is probably the best, most affordable printer out there. And, make sure you use Epson paper. It's amazing how much difference you'll see with different types of paper. For my portfolio, I used the Epson double sided matte paper, which is almost like a lightweight cardstock.

Oct 23, 05 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Are there any models around the 200-300 $ price range that you know of. Thanks

Oct 23, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
mlee

There seems to be this preference for Epsons out there, but I've had both Canons and Epsons, and in my opinion, there shouldn't be any question - Canons are way better. I've got a Canon i9900, paid $400 for it brand new, ink is cheap, better than anything epson's got within a few hundred dollars. My recommendation is definitely with canon. I think just about all of their printers in the $200-$300 range print borderless. Stay away from their new ink tank system though. The pixma ip6000d is about as good as you can get for your money. Some people think that having a lot of ink tanks will be too expensive (i think the 6000 has 4 or 6) it's actually cheaper than having two because it's far more efficient (with better quality). I've got 8 tanks in my i9900 and I spend much less on tanks than I did with a 2 tank epson.

Feb 11, 06 3:08 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I agree with malcom. I just bought a Canon pixma 5200r and it rocks! 8.5x11 border less, wireless networking built in and duplex(double sided) printing. So far it blows away any epson I've worked with, in speed, quality and ease of use. The cartridges wind up being slightly cheaper than Epson even when the 5 vs. 2 is taken into account (3 color and 2 blacks, one for text and one for images.) I believe I paid just under $200 for it on Amazon.

I would also recommend the Canon papers, but I think to get double sided MATTE photo paper you have to go with epson.

Feb 11, 06 7:04 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Damn it malcolm, this thread is from October! They've already sent in their portfolios by now.

I still like my new printer....

Wireless!

Feb 11, 06 7:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: