Archinect
anchor

how about Chicago?

Not really - east of xpsway are the lake neighborhoods pretty much. Bucktown, wicker park, taylor street all west. All somewhat urban and dense - east of xpsway def has more $ hoods aka gold coast, old town, lincoln park

Oct 20, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

A - heck yes - I've been trying to get up there to see Donald Glaude + visit Crobar (only club I know of there) forever.

Oct 20, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I moved to Chicago for the first time in 1993, and eventually adopted it as my hometown. There's been times when I've gotten disgusted with the city and decided to head off for greener pastures, but somehow I always end up getting drawn back here. Chicago really has a way of getting under your skin.

I currently live in Lincoln Park, mainly because a close friend of mine owns the apartment building, and gave me an incredible deal on a nice apartment. Ditto what others have said above about Lincoln Park, Wicker Park / Bucktown, Rogers Park, the 'burbs, etc.

One of the things I love most about living in Chicago is that the design community is very strong here. If you work downtown and hang out with your co-workers after hours, chances are you'll become friends with people in other offices as well, and possibly even playing softball together. And as opposed to many other places I've lived, even average lay people on the street are at least thinking and talking about architecture, even if they hold ill-informed opinions and tastes. Visitors often get asked, "So, what's your favorite skyscraper?" Architecture is really part of the culture here. Granted, much of what's being built right now is crap, but at least people notice that it's crap. Elsewhere, it's just accepted.

Regarding the big firm / small firm issue: My first-ever job with an architecture firm was as a student intern at Perkins + Will, which had 250+ people at their Chicago office at the time. I have no idea what the firm is like now, but when I was there in 1995-1999, they were doing some very cool projects, and the office atmosphere had a great vibe. It was an incredible experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Oct 20, 05 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

ultimately i couldn't stand the weather...it was SAD, literally

(seasonal affective disorder)

but chicago sure is nice

not nice enough for me to root for the white sox, though

Oct 20, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

wind. chill. factor. no thanks

plus the university of chicago sucks.

:P

Oct 20, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

AP, I didn't work in Pilsen, but lived in Tri-Taylor (according to the map above, which is basically a little corner of neighborhood which is made up of college kids from UIC, old Italians from Taylor Street, and both old and new housing projects... a really dynamic place, if you ask me, close to the blue line and all) and spent enough time in and around the near south-west side to know that if I moved back today, it would be to Pilsen (not sure my fiance agrees).

If you have to head to suburbia, atleast stay on the fringe... Jeff Park, Oak Park, and Beverly (halfway suburbia) all provide easy access to downtown via blue line, blue line, and orange line (respectively). Of those, only Oak Park has alot to offer in and of itself, but the others are nice places too.

Like a few others here, I worked in a big-assed firm. The plus side was that they could afford primo office space in the heart of the Loop, and the two projects I worked on were 5 minutes away (walking) and 20 minutes away (driving), so there's a certain sense of ownership and achievement that is easily attainable.

Some things you might not know (but should):

- There's an interesting little gallery space on State Street just north of the Chicago Theater under the el. Didn't find out about it until my last week in the city (thanks Cheyne), but they host various artists for a week or two at a time and its easily within walking distance on a lunch break.

- There's a fantastic view of the city to be found on the island that houses the water treatment plant. Take the lakefront trail North from the Loop to where it passes over the river and dodges under a building. When you emerge from below the building, the trail splits in two. One goes to Oak Street Beech (along the lake), the other slightly eastward to a memorial park. This is the water treatment plant. Go down the trail halfway across the park and stop at the cantilevered cement slab that hangs out over the lake. Now and then the random cyclist stops by there, but suprisingly few others for such a fantastic place.

- In the Harold Washington Library, take the escalators up, up, and up until you can go up no more. On that floor (7th?) is the architecture collection. Very, very good, in my opinion. Students in Chicago tend to know about it, but I'm not sure how many professionals have bothered to check it. I find their collection to be far better than the one here in LA's main library (which I had previously been told is quite food).

- Also, on that note, you absolutely cannot pass up any opportunity to go to Prairie Avenue Bookstore. But don't brink a notebook, they'll kick you out. This store is every bit as good, if not better, than Hennessey Ingalls or any other arch bookstore around. Go up to the mezzanine and check out the odds-and-ends: historic sewer system plans from Chicago, old drawings, pieces of late 19th century facades, furniture, etc.

.mm

Oct 20, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

quite food = quite good.
brink = bring.

Need a full time proof-reader.

.mm

Oct 20, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think Chicago was started when a bunch of people in NY said, Gee I don't think theres enough crime and it isn't quite cold enough.

Try walking around all your beloved skyscrapers at -30 wind chill. Turn a corner and it takes your breath away. Not kidding. THAT is why there is a Starbucks on every corner, shelter for those on the brink of hypothermia.

Oct 20, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i moved to chicago in the fall of 2001. stared working for a small firm (4) making around 33k a year - not a lot but livable. before moving, i was working freelance for just under 50k.

regarding living digs, I started out in lincoln park splitting a flat with some guys i found through a room mate finding service. it worked out ok but i wanted a place of my own so moved to lakeview (studie @ w. oakdale and clark) for a year then up to north center (1 br @ berteau and ashland) and finally down to bucktown (3 br with my fiance and 2 dogs @ wood and courtland). 4 zip codes in 4 years. it was definately fun to get to know each of the neighborhoods intimately because they were all so different.

of all the places, i loved btown the most, but the place is changing and fast. an urban outfitters is going up on milwaukee among other chain stores. it's not looking pretty. the home prices and rental prices for the area are starting to go through the roof.. if you're looking in this area (stephanie) be sure to give yourself plenty of time to find an apartment/houses etc. we looked at dozens of places until we found what we were looking for. (on a side note don't rent from a guy named visilios elias - aka elias invesment ala link)

my future wife spent 14 years there and in the last 2 months has been back 3 times. her sister and niece live in oak park just west of the city.

chicago truly is a wonderful place for most, if not, all of the reasons that have been mentioned above. i loved walking around the neighborhood with the dogs, strolling down the block for some milk, eating good food at a joint 2 blocks away. for a kid from alabama, it was the opportunity to live comfortably, see new things daily and enjoy dense urban life.

Oct 20, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

prairie avenue is better than any architectural bookstore anywhere except maybe the rizzoli outlet in the galleria vittorio emmanuele in milan, and that one, um, tends to concentrate on rizzoli books

the cold is -- whew, it's there, but the only time i've ever spent any time in NY it was 15 degrees the whole time

the crime is pretty bad, but it's concentrated in areas with many other problems as well. but i lived for a year in the south loop and would walk home from work at jackson/michigan at 4 AM and i felt completely safe. my wife stills goes up north for business and walks around day/night completely at whim, no worries. just be careful.

you're more likely to be a victim of crime in dallas or houston anyway

Oct 20, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
under

Several major cities in the United States have firms of various scales doing good work. Very few cities have firms of various scales doing work which is viewed as very good from an international perspective.

Unfortunately, Chicago doesn't currently have an office worthy of its status as one of the greatest cities in the world. New York, Boston, and LA have several each. If you ask people like Thom Mayne, Tod Williams, or Glenn Murcutt about firms in Chicago, they will generally mention some exciting but unproven young firms and perhaps Perkins & Will. SOM's Chicago office hasn't done anything worth mentioning for years. Kruek & Sexton, Wheeler Kearns and Brinistool & Lynch are very talented but small offices nowhere near the national radar. John Ronan and Gang Studio are likewise exciting and laden with potential, but again, seperate their actual work from the hype and there isn't much there (yet).

Odd for a world class city to lack a world class architect. I think it may have something to do with the lack of a world class School of Architecture in Chicago. Some may look at this as depressing; but if you are interested in starting your own gig and believe in yourself, I would argue Chicago is the PERFECT place to do it.

under

Oct 20, 05 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
AP

personally, i'm a little inexperienced to be starting my own gig...this stage is more about learning from a city and finding a firm that has a take on architecture worth immersing myself in...and from the research I've done, these firms exist in NYC and Boston, but, as you said, are harder to find in Chicago.

Oct 20, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

Chicago is a very pragmatic place - the architects do what they know, and do it well. Their very concerned with the legalities of their role in the construction process and accurate detailing of const. docs. Its a great place to learn the proffesional side of the proffesion. But it is sad to see so many big $ commisions just become another postmodern contextual background piece.

Oct 21, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
ochona

i guess helmut jahn just keeps his headquarters on wacker drive for the view of the river and the cheap labor, eh?

maybe there are some folks who hold the o'hare terminal and thompson center against him when making this list of "world-class" architects

but ride the green line down to state street village 'cross from iit and then decide

anyhoo, go to chicago and make your own future. chicago does not care who's on your resume or what school you went to.

Oct 21, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
AP

other than Ronan/Studio Gang...does anyone know of small-medium firms that may be of interest?

Oct 21, 05 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ross Barney + Jankowski
Valerio Dewalt Train
Lohan Associates
Destefano + Partners

These come to mind offhand. While they may not do much in the way of earth-shattering design, they're generally known for consistently good work.

The AIA Chicago website has links to most local firms. Your best bet is to go through the list from A to Z and send a letter to any firm whose projects look interesting to you.

FYI, I've heard through the grapevine that Lucien Lagrange and OWP&P are each on big hiring binges. Their work is well-executed, but not particularly noteworthy from a design standpoint.

Oct 21, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks...

Oct 21, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
AP

...I have also begun the grueling AIA site list...few diamonds in the rough so far.

Oct 21, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

wheeler kearns had a really cool office in the corner of the fisher bldg (dearborn / van buren) that you can see from the loop "el"

i always wanted to work there just for the office...

i used to live @ dearborn & harrison and i would walk by that office all the time...

Oct 21, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.jrarch.com/

this guys been getting some serious attention lately

Oct 21, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

ex-Logan Square reprazent!

-andrew

Oct 21, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

im tellin you all...
bridgeport all the way

a little side story relating to the wind chill

my freshmen year, i went for a walk downtown, got off at adams and wabash and just walked up michigan.
it was terribly cold and windy, and when i reached the river near IBM tower a HUGE wind gust came up the river down the side of the tower and knocked me over.
no joke
and listen
i am 6'1 prolly 190 or 200 lbs... and the wind knocked me over... it was incredible
the whole wind shear off the towers downtown can get quite dangerous!
if i were lighter, i might have ended up in the river, gone for good

Oct 21, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

LOL...that's awesome.

Oct 21, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I once attempted to play badmittion during a hurricane (Andrew, '92).

Oct 21, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
ether

david woodhouse sometimes gets decent projects in the office.

don't know much about blender wilkinson in roscoe village but they might be worth checking out.

doug ross use to do decent stuff but not sure what he's doing now

landon bone

ppks has a few nice projects in the works (amsterdam)

Oct 21, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Blender Wilkinson has some nice projects on their site (although very little of it actually built, it seems), but Richard Blender is one of the biggest egomaniacal jackasses I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Other people I know who have had dealings with him seem to share that sentiment.

Oct 21, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

IBM building is no-joke the windiest spot in the city. Most winters they string ropes along the most travelled paths... for you to hold on to as if climbing a glacier.

I have a friend who worked at Wilkinson Blender for a while. They're both Kieran Timberlake spinoffs (which I consider to be a good thing).... but in most respects, I share Living in Gin's sentiments. 'nuff said.

Anyway, the friend worked there for a year as an intern and more or less had her own project... met with the client, did the drawaings, was left responsible for most everything. There was always a principal with, but she did all the walking and talking. Sounds like a great experience that she wasn't able to get at the bigger firms in the city (she did time with both Legat until they laid off EVERYBODY, then a short stretch at Gensler).

.mm

Oct 21, 05 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that amount of responsibility would be great...but I'm not sure how I would feel about the working environment (thanks for the honesty in that respect, LiG and MM)...

has anyone worked with Ronan or Gang?

Oct 22, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I once interviewed with Gang, and she seemed very cool and down-to-earth. Looked like a good place to me.

Oct 22, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

one of my good friends worked for gang for about a year

didnt get to do much interesting work (though we were only 4th years in undergrad)

however, he enjoyed it except for outrageous hours... they are working constantly. he did several 80 hour weeks over last summer, by the time school started again he was wiped out

Oct 22, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
AP

decent pay?

Oct 22, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

decent pay?

Oct 22, 05 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
ether

does anyone know what kathy o'donnell is doing these days?

Oct 22, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i prefer the work of brininstool/lynch.

Oct 22, 05 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP

back to the weather, the wind of Chicago must be better to deal with than Florida's hurricane season...Wilma's blowing through at this moment, damaging fences, knocking trees onto cars, blowing roofs off of houses...(the latter happening in south FL, on the "dirty side" of the storm...in addition to the accompanying tornadoes that came as far north as Orlando last night...

Oct 24, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
under

AP-

Brinistool, Kruek & Sexton, and Wheeler Kearns are solid mid-sized firms. Kruek & Sexton, however, will work you like a dog. The same can be said for Lohan Caprille Goetsch, which I believe has split up once more to be just Jim Goetsch.

OWPP and Lucien LaGrange are indeed hiring. I know senior people in both firms; I would steer clear of LaGrange. OWPP is hiring mostly for healthcare, but some for their Ed market as well. They have some talented designers trying to move the firm...but it is after all, a corporate office with many partners pulling in different directions.

Wheeler Kearns is working on a residence that will get them a lot of press. My good friend works at Gang Studio; she works hard, but likes the environment. The pay is predictable....and no 401K. I know a guy who just left W-Blender after several years and had nothing good to say about them. Another recently left David Woodhouse and liked his experience, but tired of working on bathroom and kitchen remodels.

I would avoid Destefano at all costs. There is a culture of abuse there that comes from Jim DeStefano and trickles down. Look into their recent history and you'll see a pattern where Big Jim forces out his most senior people and drops waves of staff follwing the completion of projects.

I worked in the IBM building for 7 years; there is a reason why the plaza has removable pavers for the structural posts they erect in the winter.....so you can horizontally repel your way INTO the building.

under

Oct 24, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I have to say, though, the IBM building is one of my favorite high-rises in Chicago. You never realize how imperfect every other building is until you work in a Mies building for three years. The whole thing is put together like a Swiss watch.

Oct 24, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

I similarly enjoy the Inland Steel Building. Oh, Walter Netsch, where did you go wrong? Air Force Academy... Inland Steel... UIC CAMPUS?!

.mm

Oct 24, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Ramsey

Just curious, under, why would you steer clear of Lagrange?

Oct 24, 05 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
A

hey under...word on destephano

Oct 24, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
under

Ramsey-

That language was a bit strong on my part. Lagrange has done okay work and I couldn't tell you about the work atmosphere; it may be very good. I have a buddy who is a senior PA there who tells me that Lucien hired another designer, and that now the two of them are in a tug of war over projects and people. That doesn't mean its a bad place to work and learn something. I think I already had Destefano on the brain at that point-

under

Oct 24, 05 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for the links...

Oct 25, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 

here's a link to a story in architectural record about young architects in chicago...
link

here's a link to a list of chicago architects on the aia chicago website...
link

here are some of the firms that i think are doing some decent work...

UrbanLab link
DeStefano and Partners link
Florian Architects link
Garofalo Architects link
John Ronan Architect link
Krueck Sexton Architects link
Murphy/Jahn link
Perkins & Will link
Ross Barney Jankowski link
spaceLab Architecture + Design link
Studio Gang link
Valerio Dewalt Train Associates link

i know that valerio dewalt train is hiring several people right now

Oct 25, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
AP

damn...much appreciated...some of these I have run across (and bookmarked) already, most I have not. Thanks.

Oct 25, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
archiuser

I have an interview coming up in Chicago. What salay do you generally ask for when interviewing for a mid sized office as a recently graduated intern in Chicago (2005)? This also happens to be a pretty successful, yet smaller firm (which means they tend to pay less).
What could I get away with without being laughed at? The highest salaries I have heard of is SOM @ $38,000/year

Oct 25, 05 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

$38K !! I hope this is not the case. Im at $38.5 in Cashville TN after 1year. I was planning on asking way more than that in Chicago; cost of living increase at least. This is depressing.

Oct 26, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
under

archiuser-

A recent grad I work with was offered 38K at one of the largest firms in the city; he tells me Murphy Jahn offered him 40K.

Keep in mind these two things: Offices hire by need and ability. If the office interviewing you has substantial need and you present yourself and your work well, you will not be laughed at for believing in your worth. All they can say is no. Do you have a strong portfolio? Do you fully believe in your ability to contribute right away? If so, no worries.

In a smaller "successful" firm like Ronan's or Gang's, you're talking about a culture of young, mostly energetic people, probably highly talented but interchangable recent grads like yourself. If that's the type of office your interviewing with, perhaps 35K with little other benefits (ie. 401K, health insurance, etc...) is the norm.

Again, for your own good and to pave the way of those yet to come,
I'd err on the high side, but with justification, humility, and a willingness to negotiate if you really need the job NOW or really LOVE the office.

Oct 26, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
archiuser

wow, thanks under that was some good advice. I think I'll take the high road and ask for my desired salary.

Oct 26, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya, that advice seems very valid, under...

i'm still concerned though...I make 40K in Orlando, and the prospect of making the same (or less) in Chicago (with the increased cost of living) isn't the most comforting idea. also, I don't have a professional degree (only a pre pro 4 yr Bach. of Design in Architecture)...so for that reason I may be even less marketable. I noticed most of Gang's employees (the ones listed on the site) have Pro degrees already...thoughts?

Oct 26, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
ether

For the first couple of years (fresh out of school), I think firms are more concerned with your previous experiences and responsibilities than a piece of paper. Down the road, a pro degree or grad degree can make a difference.

The cost of living in Chicago is not outrageous. It all depends the lifestyle you want to live. Chicago affords you many types of opportunities to survive and splurge as you see fit; you will just have to figure out your own thresholds.

Oct 26, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: