Archinect
anchor

How to React to a Cancelled Project?

nathaniel

Here's the situation:
You have been working on a project since its conception; you are partially responsible for its design, coordination, tendering and construction administration. It is late afternoon, you get back from a site meeting with the contractor and to your disbelief there are voicemails and e-mails stating the project has been cancelled. The next morning it's on the front page of all the newspapers, what do you do???

Oct 12, 05 5:02 pm
SuperHeavy

drink

Oct 12, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

drink lots, speaking from recent personal experience...

Oct 12, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Whatever you read in the paper is probably only about 25% true, so call whoever your client contact is to get the real scoop, not just what you read in the paper.

Then, call any client insiders you might know who can give you the real, real scoop that the official client contact can't/isn't allowed to.

Check your contract for what amount of payment you are still entitled to or what other recourse you might have - maybe it's a delay not a cancellation, etc.

Then start calling the hot and even lukewarm leads for other jobs you have, cuz you gotta keep paying the bills somehow!

Then, have a drink - or six.

Oct 12, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

cancelled during construction? sounds like spring of 2000.....
my condolences.

Oct 12, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
nathaniel

At least the contractor is happy, maybe he will buy me those drinks.

Oct 12, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

rejoice! put the drawings, renderings, and sketches in your portfolio. the actual building can only have been a disappointment anyway. but still have the drinks.

Oct 12, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

Is this the beginning of the end?

Oct 13, 05 1:50 am  · 
 · 

happened to often to count. what can you do? just part of the job enit.

Oct 13, 05 1:52 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Get used to it.

Here less than 20% of projects that come into the office will reach a built form within 5 years. The problem is in maintaining enthusiasm on each project as if 100% will get built. As soon as you become sceptical it will begin to effect the work you produce.

Oct 13, 05 4:10 am  · 
 · 

BOTS is right, keep faith. But check to see what is entitled to you via compensation. Find out the truth of the story. And move on might I sugggest a fine whiskey, perhaps something Irish or better still some Croatian moonshine (Puno - sp?) works well for removing all thoughts

Oct 13, 05 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Sounds like my Magic City project.

Yup - Drink.

Oct 13, 05 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
nathaniel

Court gave ruling but reasoning is to follow... no one knows why they haulted the project... they just said STOP.

A nice bottle of Hine cognac is guiding me through these tough times.

Oct 14, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

have a tantrum too- it may not be proffesional but it is fun.

Oct 14, 05 9:36 am  · 
 · 
mwad

Go home and get addicted to Socom 3.

Oct 14, 05 9:51 am  · 
 · 
mwad

Begin training for the 2006 Tour de France.

Oct 14, 05 9:57 am  · 
 · 
meta
Oct 14, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 
gruen

This is tough. I've had lots of projects halt for no good reason. Actually, usually there is a good reason. Here are some common ones:

1) House - owners decide to get a divorce
2) Expense - can't afford it, or loose money they planned on having.
3) Other major change - I had several projects stop dead after a flood.
4) Shifting priorities - I'm currently working on a major project that will be rendered moot if union negotiations go the wrong way.

I think you need to start questioning your clients / owners / anyone involved. Try to get the real reason(s). It's part of your job to keep a project on track. Sometimes, it's not possible, of course.

Maybe with some extra effort, you can get it re-started. Good luck

Oct 14, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I had a huge graphic design/web project go south when Venezuala changed governments...shit happens.

Oct 14, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
A

This reminds me of the movie Orange County when the kid finds out he's not getting into Stanford. ...

Ever thought of going out to the job site with a shovel and a hammer? Finish the buidling on your own. Don't take no for an answer. Say, I'm gonna build this building no matter what you say.

Oct 14, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: