Archinect
anchor

photography

Ines Leong

I'm curious how often you guys work with architectural photographers. Do you find them, or they come find you? Do you trust them with their vision on photographing the project or you write a shot list for them?

Oct 5, 05 8:13 pm
e

any photographer should make their own effort to get their name and work out there and not wait for someone to come knocking. often photographers will have mailers [cards, postcards, other collateral] to act a a teaser to show their work. this may direct them to a website where you can see more of their work and/or other contact information is available for someone to call them to see their portfolio.

working with any good photographer is part trusting them and part directing them to get the shot you want. often, i will tell a photographer what i want, have them shoot a polaroid, and approve that before they start shooting.

Oct 5, 05 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ines Leong

have you work w/ any photographers that shoot digital yet? i agree that the photographer must be proactive in the process. how often you have your work photograph?

Oct 5, 05 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
e

digital has it's benefits and the industry is certainly moving in that direction. for instance, i believe getty images only requests digital files from their photographers. it saves them from having to scan the film and makes sense for them to do it that way. sometimes my clients request it along with medium format. i don't know though. i'm not a big fan of it. there is something about the element of surprise when you get a contact sheet of your film. i believe, as a photographer, you should be fluent with both.

digital photos will have limitations to the print size. for instance, if you want to take a portion of a photo and blow it up, you would probably get something better out of a medium format than a digital photo.

i'm not sure if you are asking how often i work with photographers or how often i have worked as a photographer. i am not a photographer. i have friends who are ones, and i work with them and others a few times a year when a project provides the opportunity.

Oct 5, 05 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i've helped Farshid Assasi set up shoots. he is outstanding.

Oct 5, 05 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ines Leong

i have realize that architects want bigger print size. i agree that digital is not really there yet as for print size, so i acutally shoot both medium format film and 35mm digital. but i'm just curious if architects are accepting digital.

i was asking as an architect, how often you have photographer photograph your projects.

beta: i have seen assasi's work. they are amazing, and i'm hoping to go that direction with my work.

Oct 5, 05 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Digital is there. Prints from the digital Hasselblad - and I imagine the Mamiya ZD whenever they finally release the thing - are just fine up to 30"x40" !

Oct 6, 05 11:34 am  · 
 · 
e

you are right susan, but i have a project right now that requires very large imagery >> several images need to be up to 17'x55'. obviously, this will be printed at a low resolution given the scale. i have had many digital photographers trying to say that their digital shots will scale to that, but when discussing the issue with the printer who also owns a well known photo store, disagrees. medium format is a minimum for our needs.

Oct 6, 05 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush
i acutally shoot both medium format film and 35mm digital...

what the hell is 35mm digital? that doesn't make any sense.

I agree with e that you should give some direction and let the photographer have some free reign. I would suggest key vantage points, or views that you definitely want to have covered, and let the photographer choose some using his/her own eye.

Oct 6, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
e

ileong, i don't work as an architect anymore. my work is in print and digital design at this time

Oct 6, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Ines Leong

e: so when you were an architect, do you work with the same photographer or various photographer for different projects?

Oct 6, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
e

i moved into industrial design and then print and digital about 6 years ago and now work for myself. i will work with different photographers based on my clients needs and their budget.

Oct 6, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ines Leong

who are some of the photgraphers that you have worked with? i'm about to graduate and i just want to know how the industry is like. i.e. how photographers interact w/ architects and what are some of the architect's expectation from a photographer. obviously the school doesn't teach you that. i have worked with various architects in town for school projects, but wasn't quite sure if how a photographer would work.

Oct 6, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Schulman, at $5000 a day

Oct 7, 05 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: