Archinect
anchor

In need of experienced opinions!

whyARCH?

I've been on this form for a year or two. Graduating with a finance degree and I am applying to a couple schools for an M.Arch. I will only go to an in-state school. I can only justify becoming an architect if it is affordable tuition. I'm just looking for comments/crit on my rough draft portfolio. I only have taken a couple drawing classes and one architecture summer program, so I don't have a huge amount of related work. Any helpful comments will be greatly appreciated!! I don't really know what a non arch background portfolio should look like exactly.

http://issuu.com/whyarch88/docs/digitalportfolio

Nov 3, 11 2:37 am
l3wis

hey there—your portfolio looks good. A good range of arch. and fine-arts projects. I can only say that I would include more non-arch design work if you have it... but overall it's a good length and is balanced. I'm sure you'll do great!

Nov 3, 11 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Looks good! My only quip would be the layout. It looks exactly how I would lay out a portfolio (line up a bunch of boxes on a page), and this is not a good thing. In my case it works because most of my portfolio is comprised of projects I wrote specs for. For more designey oriented portfolios you want the layout to be playful at times but without going overboard. You have a great 'catalog style' consistency going on. Perhaps you can break away from that in certain instances. 

Nov 3, 11 11:52 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yeah i agree with rusty, i dont think theres any problem with the work your presenting, but the pages are too cluttered, and there isnt much interesting about the layout...

think more closely about the BEST IMAGES for each project, then more purposefully display those particular images.   If i were going to make some key suggestions id say... 

-find out what the best 2 or 3 images per project are and display those more prominently 

-de-clutter the rest of the images

-go for QUALITY, not quantity.  If you cant tell me exactly what a particular image contributes to the presentation of a project, it shouldnt be in there.

good luck!

Nov 3, 11 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I agree too, those sketches are nice!  Show more sketching and less model pics!

Nov 3, 11 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
JAYWR

@j.arleo "those sketches are nice" are you serious?

@whyARCH? Your hand drawing is not good. At all!!! Your drawings from pages 2 and 6 (section) are horrendous. I don't wanna sound offensive or mean, but someone's got to tell you that. Saying those sketches are nice is just ludicrous.

My advice would be: keep drawing, draw everything! If you like it and are willing to put some effort into it you'll definitely get better.

In the meantime I wouldn't show those drawings to anybody. Seriously!

Nov 3, 11 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

oofda... i think JAYWR is being probably being overly critical... practicing your sketching is always a good idea, but id be surprised if your limited hand drawing abilities will prevent you from getting into an MArch program from a non arch u-grad... 

Nov 3, 11 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

dont listen to Jaywr, it's not important that the sketches look like "art", what matters is that you show process and an ability to illustrate concepts which I think you do, but you could show more. "Limited drawing ability" ok, but who cares...show your thought process, style is irrelevant. 

Nov 3, 11 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Also, don't be dicouraged to sketch, it is the single most important tool you will have and it will get better with practice! 

Nov 3, 11 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

Thanks to everyone who responded. I agree with rusty on the fact that the layout is pretty plain and boring. I've never used InDesign or Photoshop until i just now recently put together my portfolio, so I need to gain some more graphic design ability.

I also agree with the too many images! Just needed another set of eyes to see that.

@JAYWR... I can't disagree with you, yes those are not "quality sketches and they were never meant to be. The theme of my portfolio was supposed to be how process work leads up to the product work. IMO, process work looking good is irrelevant. As long as I can understand my concept and make it presentable in the end is what I think matters. Those were 30 second sketches pulled from my sketchbook. I was hoping it would look more as a process set of work and distinguish it from the hardline final drafting work... But you have a point, and I don't want schools thinking I just plain can't draw, so maybe I could find some process drawings that are a little more presentable. Although I have seen concept drawings from architects that nobody would ever understand except them!

Nov 3, 11 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Your sketches aren't that bad, work on the layout like rusty says, to make the eye glide past them.

Nov 3, 11 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
JAYWR

@whyARCH? You're absolutely right. You don't want schools thinking you can't draw. So, and because drawing is not that important when for an M.Arch program I'd sugest not showing them at all. That's just my opinion.

Overall I'd say that your portfolio just looks too much early 90's! That's not to say that you've got to have some killer CG cuz you don't, but you should definitely review your layout and lettering. You want it to look current, not outdated. You might find some inspiration here.

Nov 4, 11 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Sans_round_glasses

pretty good, but remove page 15 (issu 18) middle school. SRG

Nov 4, 11 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: