Archinect
anchor

Collaborations: FTP, Wiki, Blogs, Etc.

Heather Ring

Has anyone worked/collaborated on projects remotely/online? I'm wondering how hard it is to set up an ftp site. What would be better (and easier, for non tech people) - to set up a collective blog, or a wiki site, or just a joint gmail account? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Oct 1, 05 2:15 pm
AP

at my current place of employment, we are consulting with a web design/marketing firm. For ease of transferring large files or folders, we have an FTP site set up. The FTP site is easy to use, just drag and drop, regardless of file or folder size. I don't know how to set one up though, they took care of that...all other communication is done via email or telephone.

Oct 1, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
traced

i have set up several message boards/blogs for competitions, I would highly reccomend it, they are great way to share ideas between team members, for a"beginner" I would recommend:

good/easy to set up blogs
Live Journal
Movable Type

great peoject managment/ftp software
Base Camp

Oct 2, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for the links, i know I didn't post the question, but I'm currently doin' a competition with long distance partners, so I plan on putting the blogs to use...

Oct 2, 05 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

Those are great, traced - thanks so much! If I learn of more, I'll post them here.

Oct 2, 05 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
traced

i forgot to mention, another good and free blog by our friends at google
Blogger

Oct 2, 05 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

why not just use IM for conversation, instead of blogs....

Oct 2, 05 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

or you could just post here at archinect.. start a thread for each project.

Oct 2, 05 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
BE

Autodesk Buzzsaw??

Oct 3, 05 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

Is there any ftp file-sharing server that's free online? We've got the correspondence down -- it's really the resource-sharing that seems tricky.

Oct 4, 05 1:01 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

it's unlikely that you'll find a free hosting service, but you can get hosting relatively cheaply, just search google. Storage space is one of the few things on the internet people are still willing to pay for.

Oct 4, 05 1:33 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

Aha! Many suggestions here ...
http://www.lifehacker.com/productivity/ftp/bydate/

Oct 4, 05 10:20 am  · 
 · 
David Zeibin

We're using a wiki to manage all the research and task tracking and minutes/notes for the current competition I'm working on. Gets away from the "time locked" nature of a blog, so people can work in realtime on other people's contributions.

Most wikis also offer uploads/attachments to add files and such. But if you're sharing large files (graphics, CAD drawings, 3D models, etc) that people need to "check out/do work/check back in" I think FTP is probably the best choice.

If possible, I think WebDAV can make for graceful resource management right through a web browser. But I can't honestly say I've looked into it in much detail.

Oct 4, 05 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

I started using Peanut Butter wiki: http://pbwiki.com/
Its different to other wikis because you can set it up to be private. I like it.

Oct 4, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
traced

MacWorld has a great feature up today: a side-by-side comparison of the best blogging tools for the Macintosh. If you’re not sure how Typepad compares to Movable Type compares to WordPress, Dori Smith lays it all out on the table. Her bottom line? If you’re looking to start blogging and don’t want to lay out any cash, start with the (free) Blogger/Blogspot combination.

[url=http://www.lifehacker.com/]link[/via lifehacker]

[url=http://www.macworld.com/2005/10/features/betterblog/index.php?lsrc=mwtoprss]link[/MAC World]

Oct 6, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

we are using eBuilder for a project, which seems like a nice idea, but i don't think we use it to it's full extent. nor is it superbly designed.

ftp sites are easy to setup, but can be somewhat insecure. they also are esssentially just a shared file dump. so it can get really messy if not carefully managed and used.

Oct 6, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Ludwig, thanks for the pbwiki link, super easy to use, and private

Oct 7, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

The pbwiki link is PERFECT! I think we'll just also have a joint gmail account for shared storage.

Oct 7, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
ap

Why dont you just register a real domain and use it as FTP server for your files? Its only 1.25€ a month for 500 MB.

https://www.b-one.net/

There is not setup needed to get to your server. Just type:

ftp://www.yourdomainname.com in a browser.

and you have 500 MB of server space to share. This way you can have a shortcut on your desktop so the server works like a normal folder on your harddrive.

ap

Oct 9, 05 5:12 am  · 
 · 
traced

just saw this article in the ny times on collaborative web

ny times

Oct 11, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
BE

d

Nov 6, 05 2:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: