Archinect
anchor

San Diego, land of no internships.

mnmckee24

I need help! I have been applying for jobs for a month now. I have sent out about 35 applications, resumes, etc. I have a BA in Arch and I am currently working on my M.Arch. I also have tons of computer knowledge including CAD. Yes, I can only work about 35 hours a week, but how is it that all of these other students work in firms and I am having the damndest time? Anyone out there ever go through this. Seriously, I am going stir crazy and would REALLY appreciate some advice.
Thanks

Sep 30, 05 11:19 pm
mad+dash

have you tried following up on the resume you have sent?
have you tried one of those mixers where you can meet new arch-employers?
have you tried an "other type" of design firm?like industrial design b/c really...all design work involves similar thought processes
have you talked to anyone from the aia in san diego or checked their site for upcoming events?
have you asked professors for internships?
have you talked to your advisors about internships?

if you answered yes to ALL of the above, you should proceed to freak out. Otherwise try harder.

Oct 1, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
arri

have you tried www.aiasd.org ? I lived there over the summer and the local newspaper sucks. Someone mentioned during my search to leave your resume at the local AIA office. By the way are you going to the New School of Architecture? I would imagine if you are a student they are your best bet to get a job/internship. Anyway, good luck and enjoy the great weather!

Oct 1, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
mnmckee24

Yes, I have tried all of the above. Hence the reason I AM freaking out. I am a student of Newschool but the sad thing about San Diego is it is about established relationships and unfortunately, the students there have taken up a lot of the internships and have been at these firms a long time. It is hard to hold a candle to that when you are the "new kid". Quite a few of the firms I have applied for are on the job board at school.

Oct 1, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

do you have marketable skills?

Oct 1, 05 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

ouch.

Oct 1, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

try construction companies. they are always looking to get into the design side...and that would be a great experience for you...

Oct 1, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i didn't mean it as an assault, more of a personal inventory check. seriously.
"What are my skills?"
"Am I getting that message across to prospective employers?"

Oct 2, 05 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
mnmckee24

Don't worry, I did not take it as one. I think I have a lot of skills that I can not fully describe in a one page resume, and once I have gotton an interview, I have never been turned down for a job. But how do you market who you are, the confidence you have, and your skills, to get your foot in the door? I guess I am not doing a good job at getting the message across. I guess I can go find a job somewhere that is not a firm, but then I don't get full credit towards IDP. BTW, thanks everyone for your insight!

Oct 2, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

you may want to have someone (or several people) look at your cover letter & resume, if you haven't done this already. it may just be reading in a way that doesn't capture attention. graphically what does your cover & resume look like? what reputation does New School have in SD?

Oct 2, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
jabber

if you are a student member of aia (very inexpensive) volunteer some time to do committee work at aiasd ... that will help you meet people in firms and it will give them some idea of how you think and what you can do ... besides, it will suck up all that free time you seem to have until you find work

Oct 2, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

You are coming across as whiney and not very pro-active. Just do some research on firms through their sites and send out a ton of resumes. Be explicit in what you are looking for. San Diego has tons of firms and I'm sure some are interested in having an intern.

Oct 3, 05 11:27 am  · 
 · 
dragthelake

san diego, german for whale vagina

Oct 3, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
arri

mnmckee24

Don't just send out a one page resume, send out a packet showing your CAD,3D, photoshop and model making skills Print it out on photo quality paper get a nice plastic cover and hand deliver them!. Wait one weeks and call the firms.

I don't know much about the New School other then they accecpt just about anyone and it's in San Diego. If the school has any value the Dean or someone in the administration would find you a job ASAP! There is alot of construction going on in the city and if he can't find you something maybe the Dean has no conections and school has no value. I hope that is not the case, good luck!

Oct 3, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

As a recent graduate from NewSChool I would have to agree that it is about who you know and networking with the professionals in the community. I know that right now, there are not many firms hiring because of the huge increase in students and recent graduates in San Diego; and the firms that are hiring are mainly looking for drafters and don't usually help out with IDP. It's sad, but firms here are production firms--what I mean is, with all of the new-urbanist sh*t that's going down here, no body is producing good work...it's box-itecture that gets permitted through the city...Hence, any intern will be stuck doing one thing, whether it's CAD or model building.

My advice to you is this: focus your efforts on school. NewSChool is the kind of place where you have to push yourself--there are a handful of really good teachers there, but in general, the school doesn't set the bar too high and takes just about anyone. Develop one skill really well--drawing, modeling, digital, communicating, etc. You will be more valuable in the end and have more confidence to go out and get the job....

Just wondering, what class are you in? Who are your teachers?

Oct 19, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: