Archinect
anchor

What to see?

Right, so i'm heading off to Atlanta, GA next month. I haven't been there since way before I started Architectural school, so I'm really clueless as what to see, with the exception of the ANaheim Musem by Meier.

Could someone recommend other places, and zip as well.

thanks

Sep 25, 05 10:56 pm
Louisville Architect

high museum by scogin elam bray

breuer building near the one above

Sep 26, 05 8:43 am  · 
 · 
momentum

high museum of art by richard meier, with the addition by renzo piano still under construction. its in midtown, if you take marta (train) get off at the arts center station, and it is right there.

Sep 26, 05 8:57 am  · 
 · 
momentum

i don't know when it opens, but the aquarium is downtown. by centenial olympic park. also across from the park is "franklins/collins printing" by plexus r+d. its small, but its bitchin.

Sep 26, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
and/or

never mind the architecture.
if there is one place to go, it's stone mountain.

Sep 26, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

just to be clear: the high museum by richard meier is, i think, the one you alluded to and the one momentum describes.

there is ALSO a satellite high museum in the lower floors of a downtown office building. this one is by scogin elam bray - and is at least as interesting as meier's, especially in its sectional play.

Sep 26, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
momentum
http://www.msmearch.com/museums/high_gp.html

here's a link to the scoggin elam site with the space not per correll is talking about.

Sep 26, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Atlanta Marriott Marquis

Stone Mountain

CNN center

Underground Atlanta

Sep 26, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
rajish

see this guy

Sep 26, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Paul Rudolph church at Emory University

http://www.emory.edu/WELCOME/VISITORS/campus.html#arch

Sep 26, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

portmania! (and some good bbq as well)

Sep 27, 05 1:24 am  · 
 · 

going to head to the Savannah art and film festival

anyone been to it - what should i NOT expect?

Sep 27, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

momentum you are in the ATL, any local (preferably) small you could recommend I stop in for a courtesy call? Fancy playing host to an architect from out of town/country for a couple hours? Drinks on me!

Sep 28, 05 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if you make it to Savannah, you can see my brother

Sep 28, 05 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

cool

Sep 28, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

seen the new aquarium (hated it), seen the high and its new extension, been to the underground - completely different scene, just looking to relax a little now hopefully pass on a few local practices to say howdy! Any recommendations?

Nov 4, 05 12:17 am  · 
 · 
bucku

the high extension may be open by the time you come. renzo is lecturing on it tomorrow. well, today. oh your post is from thurs. his lecture starts at 2.30. not a huge fan, but still may be interesting.

plexus is on howell mill. dont know if you would get in. they have odd hours.

Nov 4, 05 5:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'd definitely take time to see the william tecumseh sherman monument.

Nov 4, 05 6:28 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Bringing up this old post because I'm going to the ATL in a few weeks...anybody have any new reccomendations? Of course, it goes without saying, what my first stop will be...
Any more cool new architecture to be seen? (Yes, I dig John Portman's work too!)

Aug 10, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: