Archinect
anchor

Lost Sketch Book

I've just returned from a few days off island on business. On return home my luggage got lost, by the airline that did the last leg (domestic). In it I had my sketch book about 1/3 filled with my current work. I feel a little empty now since I had recent sketches of project development so I've been at odds for the last 2 days, not eating nor sleeping well. Sad I know.

In any case what do I do now? My sketch books are deeply personal and i can map my development as a person and as an architect with them, and quite frankly i feel without direction.

Help please

Sep 25, 05 2:06 pm
joed

Start a new sketchbook. Things get lost. Life goes on. It's gonna be okay.

Sep 25, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

well I've got a new one, But I'm afraid of getting involved again and being hurt by its loss.

Sep 25, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

go to the self help section at the local bookstore and stare at the people staring at the shelves longingly...make a pact with yourself to breathe in - breathe out, and get over it.

I lost some hugely important original drawings from my portfolio last year...then the rest of my portfolio grew mold after flooding...

If you're the awesome architect that you seem to be (only someone really cool and dedicated would be this despondent over some pieces of paper) you will have no problem continuing to produce worthy work.

Sep 25, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
Just outside my windows are one of the remaining grafiti display fences, every 14 day or so, the whole lot are painted over and splendid new arts show just opposite the street but. Yestoday some of the artist forgot a sketch book and a cheap camera, it is at the doorway now for two day's , ofcaurse I looked thru the sketches and some are nice some just scrippling , but true one or two was worth looking at for more than 10 seconds. The things are still there no one seem to miss them and I seen how usefull my Epidiaskop would be and how that could have brought some of the more difficult in that sketchbook , up on the fnce projected strait from the sketchbook,
Anyway --- I agrea that if you lost it, you just start over. It will be better next time, arts are more than a visual thing something decide what it is you display in your drawings.

Sep 25, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

architechnophilia maby you need to experiment the lose , before you next time put more into your sketches, or know their worth , so you can apriciate your own works better and put more quality into what you intend to keep.

Sep 25, 05 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

all of hemingway's early works were lost by a train porter in france. he recreated many of his nick adams stories later. sorry for your loss. you will begin again...

Sep 25, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i...er...how embarrassing...agree with per!

Sep 25, 05 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

I know it sounds impossible: try to look on this crisis as an opportunity in disguise. Just relax and take it easy until the bad feelings pass away - they will - and you will find that there is something really good for you in the pipeline. Every cloud has a silver lining. sounds corny but it's true. I've been thinking about you all afternoon...

Sep 25, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
geno

i'm so sad for you.

i wonder what would happen if you sat down and tried, rather than to recreate the most recent development sketches in the book, to take them in a further direction based on your loss.

something really fabulous might transpire.....

Sep 25, 05 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

psteiner thank you for your kind words in my moment of grief

Sep 25, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

vadao - thanks i will embody hemmingway

Sep 25, 05 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

thanks all - I was worried i would have to go into therapy. I still can't dry yet, all a little too painful but i believe I will soon.

again thanks

Sep 25, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Que Sacko.
Remember yer skeches & get a new book. You'll make more.

Sep 25, 05 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
G-bot

Its like a computer crash. Its Nature's way of letting you do it again, this time wiser from the experience of doing it the first time.

Sep 26, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 

day 9 and I still havent done any sketches - this is really affecting me
I dreamt about the book last night - all the stuff in it
including the site plan for a house I was going to build for myself and my gf - damn

Sep 26, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

go get another one, don't let the lack of bound paper get at you. if you need somethng to spark things, go look at you old sketchbooks.

Sep 26, 05 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

It is a very unfortunate incident. But these types of situations are what really show the character of a person. How you respond to this hardship is very important for you personally. I know it is difficult to start over from scratch, but at some point you have to put pen to paper and just start drawing again. I hope you can take advantage of it in some way and make these sketches even better, but the important thing is that you let this make you a better person in the long run by proving to yourself that you can overcome it, rather than getting bogged down in self-pity.

Sep 27, 05 12:44 am  · 
 · 
joed

i hope this experience has taught you the #1 rule in architectural documentation: BACK YOUR SHIT UP!! if it's important, scan it in and save it in two places, because you're gonna lose your sketchbook, and then you're gonna lose the first copy of it.

Sep 27, 05 1:00 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

I've been working on a collection of about 361 8 1/2 x 11 inch architectural sketches since 1984. I have been so terrified of anything happening to them I had them scanned a few years back and distributed burned copies of CDs to anyone who will take them: the CCA in Montréal, the Courtauld Institute in London, Kettle's Yard in Cambridge, members of my family, friends etc etc in case of fire, flood, earthquake etc etc

Sep 27, 05 3:03 am  · 
 · 
AP

"about 361"

Sep 27, 05 3:18 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

for numerological reasons I wished to keep it at 360, but the pile keeps growing...

Sep 27, 05 3:49 am  · 
 · 
AP

I just thought the juxtaposition of the word "about" and a precise, non-rounded number, such as "361," was kinda funny.

is this at all associated with that Utopian project that you mentioned in another thread?

Sep 27, 05 3:58 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

snap out of it, man.

pick up a pencil and waste the first twenty pages of your sketchbook just to get started.

Sep 27, 05 5:10 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

AP: it is.

back to the subject of backup: buying an annual subscription to the Apple's .Mac allows you to backup files onto Apple servers, total space available is 1 GB (which isn't very much I guess)

Sep 27, 05 8:18 am  · 
 · 
Landman

My experience flying (quite a lot recently), is that the suitcase will surface in some city at some stage...so I am confident you will get it back.

Meanwhile, I would sketch like a mad man...and you know what..
While reconstructing these designs from memory maybe new (and better?) ideas will emerge.

You obviously realize by now that there are a group of people out here who look forward to an update on both sketchbooks..
:)

Sep 27, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Right so I've started sketching.

Someone had to resolve something very quickly because the builder was coming in so I grabbed my pen and sketched away. Trouble is it wasn't in the sketch up - I did open it but i couldn't bear myself to be troubled again so i did it on a loose piece of paper and handed it to my no 2.

First hurdle over - I actually want to sketch tonight

to all I did scan a few things from the book but not that much most sketches i had recoloured and i scanned them before applying paint/marker etc

Sep 27, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
sketch 2.0
Oct 16, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

good for you. just keep it moving and you'll be fine.

Oct 16, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I wrote a note in the front of my Moleskin sketchbook that said

If lost return to: blah blah blah - stamps are in the back flap please return if found

That is prolly the best safegaurd.
Oct 17, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

have you considered tatoos?

Oct 17, 05 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

tattoos vs sketching - too much preparation, too little pain ;)

Oct 18, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i really thought your "sketchbook" was a metaphor for a girl

Oct 18, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I have lost bicycles and lovers,
and cried over both.

Losing my Minolta,
and the film and photo's it contained.

The photos' won't come back.

Nor will those bitches.
The rest you can get on eBay.

And if what you lost was a part of you,
then it was merely a drip, a splash
from the eternal spring.
Your river runs on.

Stay strong brother.
Hell yeah,
and hang Tough.

Oct 18, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: