Archinect
anchor

Estimating work

pia555

I've been doing architectural work for a few years and should be licensed in a few months. I was approached by a builder to do estimating work. Which basically I would send out the working dwgs. to subcontractors to give bids on. As well as putting material lists together. All of which I have good experience with. But, as far as compensation I'm not quite sure how to go about it. Should I do it hourly and suggest a not to exceed dollar amount. Or a dollar amount per SF (seems risky) or suggest if they get the job than I would get a percentage of the contract price. For instance 1 percent for a 100,000 job would be 1000$. Seems fair Not sure they would go for it but I think if they were to adjust their over head by 1 percent or whatever than it's painless. Now if they don't get the job I would bill for a hourly rate of time spent

Jun 15, 04 10:44 am
todd

You may consider to turn this work down, reason being, it sounds as though you would be doubling your work load when the contractor should have an estimator in office. I could be wrong. If I am, Id say bill it per hour.

Jun 16, 04 1:10 am  · 
 · 
redchairs

I agree. Go with the hourly. With your prior experience, you should be able (?) to estimate the time it will involve to complete the job, so set a cap and add on 10% just because....After a few of these types of projects you should be able to better calculate the necessary time to perform these types of jobs. good luck

Jul 2, 04 2:05 am  · 
 · 
agarch

If the owner was your initial contact then you could charge per square footage and it might be excidingly benefitial to you. However if the builder hires you I'm leaning more for being paid per hour. It might also be considered Direct Cost and not Overhead to the company (depending on the size) which means they might pay you more if its project of a larger scale.

Where are the 'proffesionals' to add to this comment. I'm only an aspiring intern architect.

Jul 2, 04 5:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: