Archinect
anchor

Grimshaw Pnuematics

draftsman

Anyone know any good resources on pnuematic structures. I am interested in the technology employed in the EDEN PROJECT by N.Grimshaw.

Sep 19, 05 11:30 am
BOTS

Not so much the structure as the material - glazed ethyl tetra fluoro ethylene (ETFE) foil life of 30 years. It is self cleaning, anti-static, very strong, transparent to UV light and is not degraded by sunlight.

ETFE (Ethylene Tetra Fluoro Ethylene Copolymer)
Trade Name: Tefzel ®
Du Pont developed this material as ‘‘Tough Fluoropolymer’’. It is a normal thermoplastic but it is much harder than PTFE & FEP and similar in hardness to nylon, and is therefore used as an ‘‘Engineering Plastic’’. The improvement in stiffness is paid for by reduced chemical resistance and working temperature.

Sep 19, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 
todd

BOTS - you the man!

Sep 20, 05 1:49 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ETFE is great stuff... the cushion foils used in the edens project span 10m each! absolutely incredible!
structuraly very sound, completely transparent, sturdy and durable, AND, since they are for the most part pockets of air, thier insulative values are pretty damn good as well.

Foil-tec is a german company i believe who is doing really good work with cushion foils... there is another in the UK, but the name escapes me right now... great material, endless possibilities

Sep 20, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Dupont are the manufacturers of Tefzel.

Sep 21, 05 4:04 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I've said that already so here is an alternative project using the stuff.

The National Science Centre in Leicester, UK

Sep 21, 05 4:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: