Archinect
anchor

NYC Practicing Architects

rebelliousz_poet

For those looking for work in NYC... what is the expected yearly income? especially if you are entry level and looking to work in a small firm? I have gathered that it is about 32-40 a year... and when asked I normally ask for 36... is this too high? considering how much it cost to live here. I don't think I am asking for too much. I do have some experience but not extensive and always for short periods of time...humm? Advise pls.

Sep 18, 05 9:18 pm
innov8rdi

i worked for a firm in new york as an intern - i hadn't graduated yet and worked in the model shop - and i made 32,500. i would say 36 would be about average, but i think you could even get away with asking for more if you have prior experience.

Sep 18, 05 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
JG

It's hard to live on 36k in NY. I would ask for at least 45k no less.

Sep 19, 05 8:41 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

i work in nyc...and started at 40k. that is about average. of the 10 of so friends that started with me (at different firms) that is what we all made. you can ask for 45k...but i doubt you would get it.

Sep 19, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 
ice9

syracuse university does a very comprehensive salary survey among alumni, including recent graduates. its broken down in lots of ways, including geographic area, size of firm, etc. check it out:

click on the blue link at the top of the page...
http://soa.syr.edu/alumni/alumni.html

Sep 19, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

Hey thanx for the link... very helpfull... I thought I was asking for too much... and it just so happens that I am asking for less... well... Sounds Good.

Sep 19, 05 10:47 am  · 
 · 
and/or

40k in nyc is a minimum for decent living.
But a salary number is one thing, benefits and overtime pay is another.
When you are asked your salary requirements, make sure you discuss both ends of the spectrum before giving your answer.

Sep 19, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Shit, you guys must be big ballers.

I make 36 and I have found a way to live comfortably. I live in BK in a nice sized loft, have student loan payments, a jeans fetish and eat well...

You'll find that most "boutique" offices will pay aroun $30-$36 while other production offices will pay aroun $45 - there is of course middle ground.

I also get full dental, medical and 401k which is valued pretty high for NYC...

Not to mention Vordul Mega and Vast Aire making a reuinion show sat night...

Sep 19, 05 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: