Archinect
anchor

I am a student desperately trying to get into an architecture school

mihk1151

Hi everyone. I am a new member to this site, and I've found that you are all extremely helpful to other members. So i was if you could all help me out here. My name is Rocky and I am currently a sophmore at Penn State Altoona. Ever since I was a freshman in high school, I already knew that I wanted to become an architect. So since then, I took all the architecture related classes in high school, I even got a job my senior year as an architectural drafter for an expanding retirement facility. In fact, I got second place in a district competition. However, even with all my experiences and skills, I was not able to get into any architecture school. I mean I had a 3.7 in high school and a 3.5 right now in college, but it just seems like none of that really matters. So what exactly do these architecture departments look for regarding admission to the program? Also, what do they look for exactly in a portfolio? I have applied to virginia tech (virginia is where i came from), uva, and penn state's program, but I just can't get into any of them! I just feel like I am wasting my time and money here at penn state if I can't get into the architecture program here. I just don't know what to do and my time is running out. PLEASE HELP! I just don't want to give up now.

Sep 7, 05 2:45 am
swisscardlite

do the schools that you apply to require a portfolio? because most schools that require a portfolio rely heavily on the portfolio as the deciding factor. if you are looking into a good school (a lot of the good schools typically require a portfolio) and you haven't started one yet, I would highly recommend doing one. i think skills and experience are great because they show commitment in you but I think they also want to see that you can think creatively and spatially. A portfolio does that. good luck!

Sep 7, 05 3:09 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I can't talk because I went liberal arts for college, and am only now trying to apply to MArch programs, but I might say, don't stress your drafting and technical experience too much...at least don't let it overshadow everything else. Admissions boards want creativity...or so I've heard. So, make sure your portfolio is packed with a diverse range of artistic talents. Use your drafting experience as a supplement to show that you have the motivation and ambition to seek out jobs that relate to the field that you love...or whatever.

Sep 7, 05 3:30 am  · 
 · 

hm,

i transferred to arch (undergrad) school from fine arts so had a portfolio ready to go. i was into spatial sculpture-type things by then so had something to show. in hindsight quite awful stuff but seemed to work.

i also was a bit of an odd artist i suppose cuz i was taking math and physics courses as well, and back then they were requirements for arch school...my gpa was 3.8 or something like that.

i think the important thing is to demonstrate potential. doesn't matter if you are a great artist/designer already, but it does matter if the stuff in portolio is rigid and common.

luck to ya. don't give up.

Sep 7, 05 4:08 am  · 
 · 
ice9

its been said here already, but your architecture classes in high school and your professional experience are probably hurting you, not helping you. i would take some drawing, painting, or sculpture courses and build a portfolio for grad schools.

good luck.

Sep 7, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
s4

i'm not sure how other schools work with transfer students, but penn state is tough to get into if you're not admitted into the program directly out of high school. that said, there are a few options to get you in the door.

you can check out the change of major page for information on the portfolio admission for someone who is already enrolled at penn state. i think they start acceptiing these in january for admission for the following year.

also, you can take a six week summer studio for students looking to gain admission into the barch program, although with both of these options the number of students they admit varies from year to year.

i would start by developing a portfolio centered around drawing, sculpture, etc. like ice9 and others suggested, take a step back from the specific arch experience you have. what is your current major? since it will take you five full years in the arch program [regardless of previous classes], and you are already a sophomore, it might make sense to continue in your current program, taking some art classes in the meantime, and look at grad schools to get your march I directly after undergrad. but if you want to go for it now, past students have done it. good luck!!!

Sep 7, 05 10:30 am  · 
 · 
pomotrash

SCI-Arc offers a "making and meaning" prog. as does University of Florida, and the GSD.

Basically it is a type of "archi-boot camp" geared towards getting people into the mindset of pursuing architecture as a career.
There are no guarantees you'll get into a school after participating in one of these summer programs, but it will help your chances considerably.

Good Luck!

Sep 7, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

if those were the only two schools of architecture in the world i'd say you have a problem, but they are not so heed the advice above and you'll be better off.

Sep 7, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.dcp.ufl.edu/arch/

UF SoA is always a good place to go.....
Not easy to get into, but not the hardest either, good shcool, good prof's.
e-mail if you have more questions

Sep 7, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

You could always finish your bachelors and put together a portfolio for a 3+ grad school and get an MArch that way. You could also go to a school like Arizona State where you don't actually get into the school of architecture until your third year. In the first two years you take studio classes and build an architectural portfolio rather than an art portfolio. I'm sure there are a lot of schools like this. You'd probably still need to get a masters though. Go to your school and ask for examples of portfolios of students who got in. Creativity is the key. Anyone can learn to draft, but not everyone can design well.

Sep 7, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: