Archinect
anchor

website re-vamp: input

jkf

Looking for any advice, suggestions, comments and/or questions for a potential entire tear-down and rebuild of my website. Navigation and overall feel is paramount. Message and content will remain largely unchanged, but I'm intending on a complete re-design. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sep 4, 05 10:16 am

please provide link

Sep 4, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
yenafar

where ???

Sep 4, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
patsmd
studiomobiledesign
Sep 4, 05 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

site is not bad, portfolio page is nice... beautiful work, i would kill for a bag like that

Sep 4, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
patsmd

Thanks, lietdownl... I'll hook you up any time. Tell me, did the photos load slowly for you? I've gotten that in the past and wanted to know if it was just from 28k modem hookups or something... Lemme know.

Sep 4, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the photos do load slowly... i have dsl that runs at about 58mbps, and they load in 20 seconds probably...
if you could find a better way to organize that, i believe it would help...
but other than that... the organization is nice, its clean, pictures are good and easily navigable(sp?)

and if i werent a student... i would definetly buy a bag... maybe when i get a real job and need to impress people! let me know if you have any defective bags you wanna let go for cheap! hehe

keep up the great work

Sep 4, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

great bags.

Sep 4, 05 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

the "3D" emblem is very tacky, it doesn't seem like it relates to the bags at all which are quite nice, also the jagged brown leather on the left hand side of the portfolio page isn't doing it for me.

The bags are clean and simple, make the whole site reflect that, and you NEED to get a new symbol for that 3D thing

the images loaded slowly for me to, and I have dsl

Sep 5, 05 12:21 am  · 
 · 
form64

very cool bags
cool background. i can almost smell the leather
if that's a pic of you, cool haircut. we have the same one. 1 or 2 hairs that is. and as my 7 year old girl says, "dad, you have a cool baby beard".

a critique:

an all flash site annoys the hell out of me and most others. ask what do your users want? cool pics and info, not "percentage loading" screens.

you can't bookmark a page on yours. you can code that in if you want to though.

the load time for simple graphics is more annoying. we have multiple T3's here and it still seemed too slow.

the typography for the navigation and page text could work better with your product.

apply a nice .css styled class to that tiny scrolling news window so you can control it's size and appearance. it's very challenging to try and read it that way everything word wraps with that big default fault. i can't easily tell one "story" from another.

fugly logo - get a pro to do one if you want real business or to be taken seriously a the next level.

don't speak in the 1st person on a business web site. you can represent yourself more professionally. rethink about changing your content a bit to cover this.

once again, very cool bags.
good luck in your biz.

Sep 6, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
archidose

I would agree with most of what's been said, especially how cool the bags are. Great stuff!

I would recommend larger thumbnails for the portfolio section. It's too difficult to get an idea what anything is before clicking and then (as said) it's slooooow to load...a lot of people might give up. Regarding the slow loads, instead of loading all the images, perhaps there's a way to show the first image (same as thumbnail but bigger?) and then load the rest while that first one is up...maybe the numbers slowly go from light to dark to indicate that each is/has been loaded. Look at this page for an example of how the successive images are loading while one is looking at another.

Best of luck.

Sep 7, 05 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: