Archinect
anchor

Robert Seigel architects

galvanize

I have an interview with Robert Seigel Architects next week and I was hoing to get some feedback from anyone of you that work/ know someone who works/ used to work at their office/ was in one of Mr. Seigel's studios.

Their work is definitely better than most and they list an impressive group of "collaborators" I am also particularly fond of the philosophy as stated on the web site.
Specifically, I am looking for information on general office atmosphere, whether the office is truly collaborative? is it very rigidly structured, or more fluid in terms of production and, if you care to share, your opinion of their employment ethics.

Sep 1, 05 10:28 pm
galvanize

Anyone... anyone?

Sep 3, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 

ì thought he was a reporter for npr.

Sep 3, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
galvanize

I hope not! but seriously, The office is in New York and he used to work @ Gwathmey Seigel.

Sep 3, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

That would be Siegel and I didn't know Gwathmey and Siegel had split up.

Robert Siegel, NPR Biography

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=2101185

Sep 3, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

wow, since 2001.

Sep 3, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
galvanize

I dont think he was a partner....

Sep 3, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
galvanize

yeah, I messed up the spelling. sorry.

Sep 3, 05 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

so is he Siegel's son or something?

Sep 3, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
galvanize

Either that or the guy from npr's son!

Sep 3, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

I don't think he has any connection to the Siegel of "Gwathmey and ....".

He was the main structures instructor for both the M.Arch and undergrad programs at Parsons for many years. For a long time this was one of those firms that operated with a principal (previously 2 principals) who were more or less half-time because they had simultaneous academic careers. They employed a lot of students and interns, but not many (if any) more senior staff. People I knew who worked for him some years ago seemed to enjoy the projects and think he was a generally nice guy to work for, but were always a little concerned about the amount of time that he spent away from the office, leaving only inexperienced people to answer each others' questions. These were also people who saw this firm at the time as not a prospect for a job with long-term stability - so there was regular turnover of seasonal interns and student employees. It seems that in the last 5 years or so this firm has "grown up" a lot and is functioning as a full-scale, fulltime firm.

Sep 3, 05 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

he taught a studio or two at syracuse a few years back. nice enough guy. i'm kind of surprised he taught structures...that seems weird. anyway, his old partner, jim garrison is apparantly not so good to work for. but siegel seems ok.

Sep 3, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
galvanize

Thanks alot for the responses guys. eeay, you pretty much answered my questions. Is the "grown up" part coming from you, from an aquaintance or from industry talk?

Sep 3, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

This is from people I knew who worked for him. Back then I don't think he employed very many people at any one time (sometimes just one or two or three) and I also think he was employing groups of students on an as-needed part-time basis to build models and such during crunch times. It has sounded more recently - from people who have worked there at various times or have worked with Siegel in academic situations - that there is more of a continuous employment possibility there these days.
I have no idea how many people are currently employed there or what kind of collaboration goes on.

Sep 3, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
galvanize

Thanks again eeay.

Sep 4, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I'd rather have an interview with Bob Edwards.

Sep 5, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
santa monica

I interviewed with him five or six years ago when he was still partnered with Jim Garrison. Seemed like a studio that's interested in thinking about what they're doing. I didn't take the job, but a couple of months later I saw him at a Knicks game - he's definitely entertaining after four beers.

Sep 7, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: