Archinect
anchor

i hate my job

toasteroven

hi...

well... i need to rant because i can't sleep...

I've been looking through these forums and it seems like some of you have pretty decent jobs... where can i get one of these? how do i get to work for a firm that:

1. does contemporary/modern architecture with a design philosophy (that goes beyond the bottom line) or at least has an intelligent and well-developed design philosophy/theory, and the office is mostly united in this philosophy. i mean, something that transcends aesthetics. this might just be a fantasy of mine.
2. has an organized filing system, well developed office standards and procedures and holds regular office meetings. (only one office i've worked for did this... probably the best place I ever worked)
3. project managers who know what they are doing or at least are able to offer guidance
4. works in project teams where everyone has relatively equal input into the design process (and the people i work with have to be as or more talented and/or intelligent than me). and the principal listens to the ideas of his/her design staff - and promotes the talents of their design staff to clients.
5. I get to do 3D stuff from time to time - maybe some model-building too... anything where i'm not just drawing details all day.
6. allows me to do some construction admin. i haven't done CA in over 4 years and i keep asking for it. it's something I always ask in the interview and they always break their promise.
7. will sponsor me in continuing ed, lectures, seminars and/or workshops.
8. gives positive feedback from time to time.

there might be more, but if a firm can provide this for me... then i think i'll be happy.

please help me find this job. this is all i ask for.

-to

Aug 31, 05 3:34 am
b3tadine[sutures]

get in line.

Aug 31, 05 5:17 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

I can't sleep either.

Aug 31, 05 5:57 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

I know everything about hurricane Katrina, and the current situation in Israel.
thanks you rss feed.

Aug 31, 05 5:58 am  · 
 · 

when you find that uber- job, lemme know if they're looking for anyone else...

<sigh>

Aug 31, 05 8:44 am  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

That hate is going to eat you up inside.

Aug 31, 05 8:51 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Sometimes I have silly dreams where all us archinectors get together and start a firm (hm... what would we call it?). Since we all are so aware of what is wrong with architecture and architecture practice, we naturally wouldn't do any of those things. Ours would be a utopian firm ( archtopinect ).

At first it would be just us, with blazing x-acto's knifes of glory, setting right what is wrong. Then others would see what we have done was good, and they too would take the higher road, following our example. Those that did not would wither and dies as leaves from a tree.

In time, our smart development policies, eco-friendly methods, and pro-bono charitable building would make the world a better place for all. Good triumphs and evil is vanquished.

of course, this is only a dream.

Aug 31, 05 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

my last job had 3 out of 8 of those. not bad. you can apply there, my old cubicle is open.

Aug 31, 05 9:12 am  · 
 · 
surface

I got the graphic design equivalent of your dream job, minus the admin stuff, which I DON'T want to do. (Well-organized office, employees are respected, we respect our employers, the opinions of everyone working on a project are valued, we get positive feedback and the criticisms are constructive, they're supportive of continuing education, we're treated fairly all around.) I believe those sorts of firms exist... and you should be able to tell when you're being interviewed, you should feel comfortable. I had a good gut feeling about my boss and the whole place as soon as I walked in.

Aug 31, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: