Archinect
anchor

Urban Advertising Publicity Regulations ?

mauOne™

Can anyone point me to web sites that address this topic please ?

im looking on guidelines on these gigantic publicity posters that "contaminate" - "decorate" the cities.

I will be developing a kind of "regulatory guidelines" for this, within the confines of the central urban park desugn im working on the next days

I am looking to define new typologies that are more "designed" and can be configurated as "Urban sculptures" say like totems and the like.

thank you

Aug 30, 05 12:02 pm
mauOne™

General criteria ?
concepts ?

anyone ?

:o)

Aug 30, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i have no idea what you're asking.

Aug 30, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

call the city government dude

Aug 30, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

the government in this case has less idea than me
they are allowing gigantic billboards all over the city (billboards thats the word i could not remember)

so im making a proposal to ban billboards and come up with something more creative and less agressive

Aug 30, 05 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Talk to the advertising company - just dont tell them the nature of the enquiry. Tell them you are designing a building and the client has requested info on the requirements of an advertising billboard because they want to offset some costs.

Aug 30, 05 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

thanks diabase,
i am leading the design of a central urban park, something like central park in NY, but this is central park on acid, in the sense of how it is part of the city

so some advertising agencies have approached me for publicity space on the park (city), and i'm trying to come up with elements other than billboards that have some sculptural sense and are more creative-less agressive to the (natural-built) environment so i wanted to look for some examples of maybe regulations or conceptual formulations on the subject.

for example the street advertising signs in tokyo all have to be vertical and i got a copy of their regulations but it works for the japanese language very well, not so much for more graphical stuff, basically companies talk in square metersof space, this is my thing now.

:o)

cheers

Aug 30, 05 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Sounds great mau0ne. Big and ambitious, just the way I like it. Cant help you in terms of regulations, but I thought the kerkyes idea from j.mayer.h is pretty cool as a multi-purpose urban object including advertising, and also some ideas from the Melbourne Milano exhibition at he 2005 Biennale. But you know what you are doing. Good luck.

Aug 30, 05 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
h1

mauone, this is usually an issue that is taken up in a city's zoning ordinance - what city are you in that there are no regulations on the books for billboards? NY even has specific districts with various regs (think Times square, where billboards are actually required by zoning) If you're working out regulations for a whole new park and it will be all public land, I'd venture that you can do just about whatever you want in terms of setting up specific venues and regulations for advertising. It'd be great to get the advertisers to actually pay for something usefull as part of their fees, depending on the lease terms that are set up - terrazzo mozaic paving, exciting garbage cans - anything below eye level - highly visible but relatively unobtrusive.

Aug 30, 05 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

coolest h1 !

i love the pavement idea

thanx

Aug 30, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: