Archinect
anchor

Archinect users glasses....

curt clay

...for the first time ever in my life I need glasses.... {{{ sigh }}}

Since wearing glasses for architects is a particularly painstaking aesthetic decision... give me some insight into your thought process...

frameless to make them disappear vs bold rims to call attention to them....... ??

Does it all come down to individual personality???

help me understand this aesthetic problem.....

Aug 10, 05 1:59 pm

individual personality + face shape

I've got bold black frames that draw attention to my eyes, since I've always thought they were too small. Also rounder frames make my face look round as well, so I've got more rectangular frames. They've got a little color to them (orange on the inner side), which is just a personality feature. = )

Aug 10, 05 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i go into the optical shop downtown and try on frames about once a month, because i like how the gay man fawns all over me, and also strongly disapporves when something doesn't look good.
without him i would probably be wearing plain black frames. instead i wear red rectangular butterfly frames that were hand made in france.
my method is to find a good gay man, and don't be afraid to buy expensive frames. if its something you wear every day then it's worth it to pay more.

Aug 10, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
ether

I'm a fan of the spring temples. I've had my glasses for 4 1/2 years now and I've never had them adjusted or tightened.

Aug 10, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

stephanie- definitely right on the price issue. I skimped on mine, and the lenses are popping out at places, even though I treat them very gently! Now, only a year later, I'm having to buy another pair so that I don't look all sloppy at work, wearing stupid broken glasses.

Aug 10, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

stephanie: the gay man in the optical shop downtown chose my frames for me: Ralph Lauren wire. they were expensive but so well made I had new lenses put in them when my prescription changed this year.

Aug 10, 05 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
levasser

I would also suggest that in terms of materials you stick with a single: either all metal or all plastic or whatever. I've had 2 pairs of plastic-metal combos that have eventually separated at the joints, whcih looks sloppy. And they weren't cheap, either.

Aug 10, 05 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Crumpets

I'm embarrassed to say this: I got my glasses from Four Eyes. 2 pairs of glasses for $99. Well, I do get lots of compliments, though.

Aug 10, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

A dear friend in grad school was from India. Although he didn't typically wear a turban in school, he did own them, and laughed when I was surprised to hear that he owned a dozen turbans. "You wear a different shirt every day, right?" said he.

The point of my story: get several pair. You will be donning a pair every day, so it's good to have choices. One slim (metal or frameless)and one chunky (plastic) to start, then more as the mood strikes. Pesonally I couldn't get by with just one pair of glasses.*

*In my first years of internship when I was basically eligible for food stamps, of course, I only owned one pair. But if you can afford it, get several.

Aug 10, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

related note:
anyone have recommendations on where to find nice looking perscription safety glasses frames? I wouldn't mind having a pair for when I'm working on my various side projects, but the frames I've found are really, really, ugly...

Aug 10, 05 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

so far, I need to find a gay lens shop worker... (although the 'gay man as purveyor of good taste' argument has never worked on us straight architects)

what are spring temples?

found this interesting article on frame design vs. face shape..
http://www.allaboutvision.com/eyeglasses/eyeglasses_shape_color_analysis.htm

..and I like the turbon analogy but at 3-400 a pop that could get expensive... I mean, I am an architect....

does difference in price automatically equate with quality construction? or is the prada effect exist for frames as well?

thanks.

Aug 10, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the best pair of glasses i ever had were hornrimmed tortoiseshell just like all the guys wore in the sixties. i loved those glasses. they cost something like thirty bucks. i got them at the indiana university school of optometry. and a free exam too! the gay optometry student said i had a very interesting vein configuration in my eye and took a picture of it. i dont know if he was hitting on me. carry on myopics

Aug 10, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i got a pair of limited edition Gold & Wood wood framed glasses, just the top rim and ear bows...set me back but well worth it, plan on a new pair in the future....

Aug 10, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

How about perscription thumps..

If they're good enough for DOG they're good enough for me.

Aug 11, 05 2:43 am  · 
 · 
mintcar
Cutler & Gross

-- beautiful glasses, in all price ranges.

Aug 11, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

this long without glasses...lucky bastard

polo 447's

Aug 11, 05 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

still looking for a few answers please, thanks..

does difference in price automatically equate with quality construction? or is the prada effect exist for frames as well?

Aug 17, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

curt - no.
i once did some research on sunglasses for a school project. turns out eyeglass frames have one of the highest mark-ups of any retail item.

Aug 17, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Price doesn't automatically equate with quality construction. As el jeffe notes there is a huge markup. In fact, I once read that assembly of eyeglasses frames for some high-end designers is routinely contracted to some states' prison systems as a good task for "occupational training and rehabilitation" of prisoners.

My advice: take a friend with you for advice (even if you do find the gay lens shop worker and like his suggestions you have to remember that he's working on commission.)
Also, don't spend a fortune on your first glasses. A lot of people pick the wrong frames the first time. It takes some time to figure out what fits right, looks right, etc. Pick something that you like, but don't be surprised if you hate them a few weeks or months later and realize that you picked all wrong...

Hey: how about posting some pics of things you're considering and we can vote on them (and it would help of course if you posted your picture too...)

Aug 17, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
MUUM79

oakley has prescription glasses. you'll look like you came from the future.

(url=http://oakley.com/o/c518t)link(/url)

Aug 18, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
MUUM79
take 2
Aug 18, 05 12:50 am  · 
 · 
nappy

Get Mikli! Especially the line designed by Starck..

very expensive but nice/good build quality.

Aug 18, 05 3:52 am  · 
 · 
mm

Most high-end fashion lines don't design their own frames. They just choose the standard frames and place their logos on them. The frames from several high end fashion labels are all made in the same factory, from the same machines.

You can probably find the exact same frames from Armani, Polo, and Kate Spade, etc. and the only difference would be price and logo.

Aug 18, 05 9:14 am  · 
 · 

My mom got me a great pair from these people in ny. made them into sunglasses. their selection online is limited but changes over time. if in ny, check them out. i think they even have that monocle you need for the interview.
· fabulousfannys ·

Aug 18, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
job job

shaolin style

Aug 18, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 
job job

same frames - but def. not shaolin style - more of a 'I'm a designer with a capital F' style

Aug 18, 05 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
_other_

how many times have i told you: "NEVER TEACH THE WU-TANG!"

Aug 18, 05 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
soulsurfer

I personally like the glasses of ICBerlin.
A lot of architects here in germany wear them now instead of the "classic" ones with the bold rim.
They have a cool tryout on their website...

http://www.ic-berlin.de/

Aug 18, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

Bloopox,

good advice.. maybe I'll go the $99 foureyes route until I know what I like...

Looking at glasses online give me absolutely no indication of how they'll look on my face so I've just been popping in eye glass stores and trying on glasses with no clue as to what I want....

I like the ones in the ic-berlin link... cool stuff...

Aug 18, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie
Aug 18, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

too cool, stephanie.

Aug 18, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
vera marie galvez

you should design them yourself, of course... then, make a study model out of acrylic, basswood, and chipboard... or have it laser cut from plastic... and knock out all the kinks... then, with all of the money you're making as an architect, have your prototype made... yup.

Aug 18, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
A

I just picked up my new pair of spec's (the seeing ones) tonight. Wanted to go with a more prominent frame to make me look funky architect. Spend the $$$ it's so worth it. Got a funky steel blue color but it's gonna take getting used to seeing the frame in the corner of my vision. Oh well, damn near cost me $500 for designer frames and fancy lenses. It's worth it though. I can see better now.

Aug 19, 05 12:26 am  · 
 · 
curt clay

A

OUCH! 5 bones is a little more than I planned on spending, but I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to get them anyway..

Aug 22, 05 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
ochona
www.otticacarraro.it

i bought a pair of round orange rubber frames for $80 (back when the euro was low against the dollar) and have not regretted it. the lenses cost me $300, but i have spent $400+ on frames alone in the past. the shop is in venice and they ship directly to you (well, it did take three months for the frames to arrive, yes).

i've had glasses since the 2nd grade. if i don't wear my glasses i'm dang near blind. i have to wear these things all the time, they may as well look good and be comfortable. one thing, though, you will never live down the corbusier references. also they once slipped down my nose and fell on a model i was making.

Aug 30, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

im partial to emporio armani frames

Aug 31, 05 5:17 am  · 
 · 
surface

I have so many glases it's kind of funny. I once found an Alain Mikli sample sale where all the frames were $20-40 and I bought several pairs, kept 2, sent a few to my mom.

I have one perfect eye and one nearly useless lazy eye (not the wobbling/straying kind, though).

So my PRESCRIPTION collection is:

--Brown/black metal Mikli glasses. If I ever need super conservative glasses, these are them.

--Translucent light orange plastic Mikli glasses. Hey, why not orange. If you saw me from 1/2 mile away you would go "Hey that is a design professional."

--Black plastic Dior glasses with black rhinestones on the side. They are fancy but accomplish the fancy without overwhelming you with rhinestone bling as the stones match the plastic. http://www.go-optic.com/store/eyeglasses/details.asp?id=7399

--Translucent gray plastic cat-eye vintage glasses with grayish rhinestones in the pointy bits. I got them at Fabulous Fanny's which Javier posted. The glasses are not as flamboyant as they sound because the gray is a subtle color and keeps them from being too severe. The guys at Fabulous Fanny's are definitely as flamboyant as they sound!!

All of them are basically rectangular with large lenses, except for the cat's eye ones, which are cat's eye with large lenses. I just try on a lot and pick ones that flatter my face.

Aug 31, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Suture
http://www.ic-berlin.de/

Aug 31, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
job job

since we've been sucked into the PAST, i will resurrect the eyeglass thread

AAAAAAAHH..... the name is

Jan 31, 06 6:27 am  · 
 · 
job job

something for working maggie's farm?

or how about SHUSH with the dead topic randomizer function

btw, dylan, my fave archinector. lennon wishes he was so hip

Jan 31, 06 6:47 am  · 
 · 

all about the booth & bruce

Jan 31, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

ici-berlin yet again.

Jan 31, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
e909

women would save mucho dinero if they'd take fashion advice from hetero men.

Feb 1, 06 6:13 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Turns out I'm in the market for a pair of frames. My eyes went back a little after my LASIK surgery of a few years ago (this is normal) so it's not enough to need them all the time, but enough to be annoying.

I'm thinking I'll get some mainly for attending lectures and night driving. So, probably don't want to break the bank but still want to make the necessary designer statement*.

Also I have an oval-ish face.

Thoughts, suggestions, proverbs, smart-ass comments,.....?

*Oh come on. I am a designer. This is allowed.

Feb 21, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Feb 21, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

versace

Feb 21, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

if you can't choose your own glasses, how are you going to design someones house?

Feb 21, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

all the glasses i need...

Feb 21, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

an occasional dictatorial sortie of mine...

Feb 21, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

nice garden hose javier!

Feb 21, 07 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

mine have tape holding them together as of last week. very classy.

wonderK you have to take a trusted friend to the eyeglass place and try on a hundred frames.

Feb 21, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: