Archinect
anchor

vacation/time off poll

melivt

where i was previously employed, i received 2 days paid vacation per month-as an intern. more experienced got more time off. i have a friend that works for an office that closes down in august, they recieve partail pay the entire month.

i was curious to see if we could do a quick survey of how much vacation time you get per year, paid or unpaid, and correlation to position. thanks

Aug 4, 05 8:15 pm
pencrush

We get 3 weeks vacation/sick time, you can use it however you like, after 5 years, I think you get another week or something... It's pretty nice actually.

Aug 4, 05 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

sorry, poor punctuation there. we get 3 weeks first five years, after 5 years; another week. Vacation is vacation/sick time.

Aug 4, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

10 days paid vaca, 10 days paid sick leave. Office takes about every holiday I can think of, and is even closed the whole week between x-mas and new years, as well as half day on Christmas eve, all paid. I think it's the same accross the board for everyone, except the owner, of course.

Aug 4, 05 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

oh, but the one thing that sucks is that you can only take paid vacation when you have worked the entire previous week and will work the entire following week, thus preventing anyone from taking more than a week vacation, or tacking their vacation onto a holiday.

Aug 4, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

funny, the more experienced i get the shorter my vacation time.

never been in a large office so am sure it is different but i tend to take holidays between projects now.

In my first job i think i had a few weeks off in the first year, and then no holidays ever again after that. Only the new kids with no experience and no authority had the time to leave the office for any length of time. Typical Japanese office, actually a bit more relaxed than most cuz i was allowed to sleep most nights (the principals did not sleep that i know of)...I was paid for all OT and had no time to spend the money so was good for saving cash. but i was totally wiped after a few years of that.

i think they thought foreigners were lazy.

Aug 4, 05 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm glad you posted this but I hate talking to Europeans about vacation because I get depressed about how much I don't have.

As an American living and working in the Midwest, I get one week's vacation a year. HOWEVER, you can be sick as much as you want and you just put "sick" on your timesheet. Also we get comp time and we can use it however we want. One guy had so much that he took about three weeks off in a row. I worked for an entire year, took at least 5 personal trips and didn't use one hour of vacation.

We're a little bit different than other firms. We're a very "new" firm and my bosses, bless them, haven't figured out some of the HR essentials that many firms have in place and written in fancy handbooks.

Until then, it's all crazy all the time! It's fine by me, it's more entertaining to me to see them struggle. :o)

Aug 4, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Since I work for myself, I can technically take a vacation anytime I want. The reality though is that I take vacations when my wife says "Oi, Tongo, nos vamos a viaje." (We;re going on vacation, Foool!).

When this happens, she gets to vacation. I am forced to bring my laptop & try to find enough shade for the screen under some tiki bar to to dwgs.
Then the phone always gets forwarded as they're bringing my caiparinha to me. I hate that, once the ice melts, you've gotta order another one. After this keeps happening all day, Car Dealership projects have cabanas designed into them. Clients end up asking me why there's a daquiri dispenser spec'd for a school cafeteria on my fixture schedule. Geesh, I can't keep this up 8, or 9 times a year.

Aug 4, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
jpalmer

first year was one week vac. w/ a little over a week of sick
after 2-5yrs two weeks vacation...
i don't know if i'll be around to see what's after that...

Aug 4, 05 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

after a year you get 28 days + 25 days sick leave - but hey I work for the government so i'm barely paid - lucky/poor me depending on how you look at it

Aug 4, 05 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

3 days sick, two weeks vacation a year.
Get this - 4 hours family funeral leave. "my brother died" "yeh, um, you're going to need to come in right after that funeral..."

Aug 4, 05 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

we have actually been group lectured for taking too much sick time because a lot of people max out their 3 days. "it costs the company money."
don't even get me started on benefits, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Aug 4, 05 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
ether

my previous job was 2 weeks a year (must use them by end of year) and 3 days sick/personal. current job, dunno.. been here 3 months and i'm leaving in 3 days.. woot..

Aug 5, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
mwad

+- 3 weeks.

Aug 5, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
threshold

1-4 years = 2 weeks vacation w/carry over
+ 5 years = 3 weeks vacation w/carry over

2 weeks sick, no carry over

no personal days (must use vacation)

Aug 5, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

14.5 hrs / month = roughly 3wks / yr vacation

10 hrs / month = about 15 sick days / yr

I have worked here 3.5 yrs . . .

Aug 5, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
J3

22 days a year for PTO this includes sick/personal.
If you never get sick, then you have over 4 wks vacation...and vice/versa.

Aug 5, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
e

as many vacation, sick days, and holidays as i want. no pay though. i usually take about 2 weeks off a year. i take time off mostly when my wife takes off.

Aug 5, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

seems like i am the same as most of you...10 days vacation, 7 sick and 3 personal...but its easier to say 20 days of vacation bc we use it how we want to (or need to!). but also, my firm is one that as long as you do your work...nobody really checks, so its not uncommon to see people taking 3-4 weeks a year (just spaced out and not around ANY deadline or anything!)

Aug 5, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

one week paid. all holidays off. have to take one Friday off, every other month (mandatory)

Aug 5, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Bula

1-5 yr: 10 days paid vac.
5-10 yr: 15 days paid vac. (mí)
10+ yr: 20 days paid vac.

6+ holidays + 6 sick

Aug 5, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

21 days + 3 days at Christmas and all usual bank holidays (UK) no carry over.

Aug 5, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
A

6 national holiday days + 2 floating holidays

16 days vacation/personal (1-2) year employment

+2 days accruement in 2 year increments (18 days in year 3-4)

No defined sick day - use vacation/personal time.

Aug 5, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
honorthebrick

1 week vaca. after 6 months, + 10 sick days a year.

2 weeks vaca. after the first year, + 10 sick days. Off from the 22nd of Dec.-3rd of Jan plus every major holiday. Sick days you can cash out, not vacation days.

This is a bit off of the vacation talk, but do any of your companies give quarterly profit sharing bonuses + christmas bonuses?

Aug 5, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: