Archinect
anchor

help! how do I get a one hour rating?

silverlake

I want to do an open rafter ceiling in an apartment in a new duplex with a seperate unit above. Anyone know if there is a way to maintain a one hour rating and 50 stc without the bottom layer of gyp board?

Can't find any details or help in solving this... Any advice is appreciated....

Aug 2, 05 10:20 pm
monkeyboy

look in the bat'l gyp details book.. probably could do some kind of gyp. crete slab above.

Aug 2, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

nat'l (as in national) not bat'l

Aug 2, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

if the 'rafters' (i'm sure you mean joists - they're presumably level) are structural, then you're SOL. the whole idea of the rating is to preserve the structural integrity of the joists. you may have to fake it in under the rated assembly.

Aug 2, 05 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I agree... I've never seen such a thing except for doug fir fakery.

Aug 3, 05 3:15 am  · 
 · 
cynic

it depends........ are the 'rafters' 2x members, or are they heavy timber construction? (eg. 5x or thicker)... if you have heavy timbers, you can expose the structure and get your separation rating with the floor assembly.

Aug 3, 05 8:34 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

you can also box out the beams with gyp or some other board. it doesn't leave the beams exposed but it does at least keep the profile of the structure. could be an interesting look

Aug 3, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you may have to end up putting sprinklers in every joist bay.

Aug 3, 05 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

sprink

Aug 3, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
raj

you can also spray that fire resistive stuff on it...
there is also a fire resistive paint ($$)

but depending on water that exists...sprinklers can be $$$ or just $$

depending on where you are in construction you can use hour sheet rock ABOVE the rafters and below the 2nd finish floor. i don't know if it will really work (i havn't found a UL #) but it seems to make sense!?!

[http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=BXUV.GuideInfo&ccnshorttitle=Fire+Resistance+Ratings+-+ANSI/UL+263&objid=1074327030&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073984818&sequence=1]UL floor listings[/url]

Aug 3, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
raj

crap--didn't do the code right...

UL floor listings

Aug 3, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: