Archinect
anchor

Glass Garage Doors

mwad

I am looking for a glass garage door that isn't your standard full view sectional commercial door (like the ones from Raynor or Overhead Door Company). A door that has no frame lines on the exterior and perhaps one that folds up, or has stacking panels, or is scissor action...any points in the right direction are much appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 29, 05 2:33 pm
MysteryMan

I like it. I love it. Sounds like a custom job. Hope your client's got some bucks. vERY HEAVY. But that would be KOOLL.

Jul 29, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
traced

there is a really nice garage door in the meat packing district (nyc) at the gansevoort galley by M. Ali Tayar, (go to work 1, gansovoort gate, and watch the movie) it's not glass , but it is still well done

Jul 29, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Thats a pretty cool gate. I like the huge door that swings out at the end.

I'm working on a 3-car garage with a 36' x 10' opening. So far google, sweets, and project references haven't found anything. I'm trying to avoid anything custom as the rest of the house is all custom floor to ceiling butt glazed (12' tall too). So a proprietory door for the garage would be ideal. And frameless (or mimimal frames) is the name of the game in this house.

Has anyone seen a large overhead door that when it is raised makes an awning (folds in half)?

Jul 29, 05 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Oh, and the garage opening will have 3 bays.

Jul 29, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Just doin' a little thinking on how you'd custom build this:
I'm thinking 1/2" (min) storm/bullet resistant glass (kinda like what's uses at ground-level lobby areas of many offfice bldgs (somebody help w/ that spec) tempered.
Heavy duty Stainless Steel brackets/hardware to hold the rollers in extra reinforced tracks. Each panel need to go together almost perfectly. Could we somehow do a silicon bead that wouldn't stand out?

A critical part of this would require some hefty springs to assure that the door didn't just crash when closing. I'd say you're gonna need a good, smooth motor to open & close this thing, just for the control aspect, which (in my esteemed opinion) is super-critical. I sure wouldn't want to be caught under this thing in case of a control failure.

Maybe I'm making too big a deal abt. the weight, but I don't see a thinner, lighter piece of glass doing the job. Especially w/ all the movement, vibration & yes, weight.

You might not need a lot of panels. Maybe less is more. Maybe even just 1 sheet of glass would do w/ the hardware being like some older garage doors that just open as one piece.

Perhaps somebody makes a glass garage door for aviation (hangar) applications.

Jul 29, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

agree with mysteryman -

weight is important

custom might be the way to go since the hardware is pretty standard. but those springs better be really good and you have to have the capacity to do a feasible manual override.

i almost got trapped in my garage last year after the spring broke. the door swung shut w/ me inside and it was NOT easy to lift a door with only one of the two springs intact. a side door on the garage would've been too smart to put in... (stupid rented condo).

maybe not even glass... some type of plexi? much much lighter.

Jul 29, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

ac FOR a,
I'll bet there's excellent plexi out there these days. A much more do-able solution.

Jul 29, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Yeah...the weight is a huge issue. I think we might have to fold and use a typical sectional door. 1/2" laminated glass is extremely heavy.

I was also thinking about perhaps doing a custom with two horizontal panels that are welded frames with the glass attached to the outside with minimal fasteners. This gives us a structural frame but minimizes the number of dividers. We'll probably have to get an industrial opener to lift it...or maybe a counterweight...

We used an standard sectional glass garage door on another project and it opens so slow and shakes a lot.

Jul 29, 05 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Hey mwad ,
I like the metal frame sround the perimeter of each panel. Maybe like an angle, or channel w/ the glass sitting in it. That even gives us a lot of options for 'insulators', or 'isolators' (missing the right word) to absorb shock. Plus I think just seeing the little profile of metal around the glass would look even better than a butt-glazed looking setup.

Jul 29, 05 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

That even might allow us to get thinner glass, maybe?

Jul 29, 05 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
mwad
http://www.doriondoors.com/

I found this Canadian company that does custom doors.

Aug 2, 05 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

does any body know a company makes clear anodized aluminum garage doors in so cal? thanks in advance.

Aug 2, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
mwad
http://www.clopaycommercial.com

in Cal.

Aug 2, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

calatrava. awesome doors.

Aug 2, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Wow, thats pretty cool.

Aug 2, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i called G&G, one of the links from above clopay site, located in torrance.i did say commercial type for residential use and she immidiately understood what it meant.. thanks again for the link mwad.
that calatrava door is beautiful.

Aug 2, 05 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

crimeny - each slat must have its own hinge right?....wow...and the curve is catenary to boot...

Aug 2, 05 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

but you don't have to do anything but cut the slats at the right lengths. it all works itself out. that's the beauty of it. it's rediculously simple.

Aug 2, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I wonder if you could replace the slats w/ transluscent material, or transparent material?

Aug 2, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

I think I'm gonna try to do a glass scissor door. Probably have to get a hydraulic opener for it. I'll let you know what the door manufacturer thinks.

Aug 2, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

if you kept the hardware light (aluminum?) you might be able to do it out of maybe like 1/2" acryllic slats??

Aug 2, 05 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

Check out the operable front curtain wall of the Disney Music Hall from Gehry in LA - that whole sucker opens up. Sorry I dont have a link for ya, I just remember walking by..

Aug 2, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

if that calatrava door face is water-tight, then it must have some flexible membrance backing or the slats must interlock. the interlock depth would have to allow for the differential movement of the adjacent slats due to the different lengths. simple idea but difficult to detail properly. unless i'm completely wrong in analyzing the door...

Aug 2, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i tink it has one contunious curved steel rod hinge pin that is flexing and turning between fixed ends.
the vertical slats seem interlocked at points to transfer the proportional unified stress and keep the curve in place. it is very simple. slats have fixed ends except where the curved hinge is. and with increasing stress towards the end slots, causing a controlled buckling if you will.

Aug 2, 05 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

that caltrava door is hot

Aug 3, 05 1:24 am  · 
 · 
art tech geek

glass is basically liquid over time. it will eventually be wider at the bottom by gravity than it is at the top. look at early 20th century windows - they become streaky & are no longer uniform thickness top & bottom. over years the glass because of movement/stress would most probably catastrophically fail. For the money the client is spending and the functionality needed......... the question is how long before it cracks?? 10 - 25 - 40 - 50 years?? what is the temperature difference between inside & outside means? if the coefficient of expansion between the metal frame is dramatically different from the glass - in an environment like Texas where they get 100 degree temperature ranges in a day (a big blue) - well, buildability and practicality for end use are worlds apart. And also - figure out some way to use somewhat smaller panels of glass - because if you loose one panel you have glass shards for blocks (scrap would be great for a garden walkway though instead of pea gravel).

You might want to look at using e-panelite.com translucent structural honeycomb panels. I requested some samples last year - and they really stuck in my mind. they have a variety of very cool - resinor mica & aluminum - translucent - light weight. Light goes thru - obscured visuals to a degree (who really wants to see the neighbors garage & storage cabinets??) The honeycombs could be rescaled to create structural components. Cost (last years price list) between 13.50 - 37 a sq foot. mostly 4 x 8 or 10 panels. .75" - 1" thick.

Plex is awful. you need to use mirrorglaze to clean it. it scratches just looking at it. If you touch it with ammonia or windex type cleaner - its instantly fogged with minute scratches.

There is a very cool plastic that you can cold bend without it fogging - sort of lexan and virtually bullet proof. You could probably hammer shape it given my only experiment playing with it in a sheet metal brake. Stressing a piece of 1/8" at a hard right angle left no white fogging. Came across it at Cadillac Plastics in the San Fernando Valley - north hollywood (vanowen) if I remember. I was looking for a glass replacement in light fixtures that were about 16 feet up
. one formed panel replaced 3 individual panels. so cool its hot.!!

Aug 7, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

art tech geek, I'm afraid that glass does not behave in the way you describe and that historic glass does not 'slump' over time. Before the industrial machine took over the glass manufacturing process, glass for all artistic and building applications were done by hand, in small batches, by tradesmen as their entire business and by artists as a way of paying the bills. Pieces of glass were smaller because they did not have the means of efficiently/slowly cooling the glass so larger and thinner pieces would crack easily. Also, their glass mixes were often inconsisitent and it was difficult to get glass with 'strength properties' over just 'make it clear' properties.

So, as the glass was pulled from the glory hole and placed in rectangular metal or wooden forms that decided the final size of the piece, they were rarely 'screeded' and merely allowed to cool as they were poured...and since we're talking about crude 'mass production' in small workshops with molds needed a few minutes later for the next bit of glass, the glass was removed quickly from the molds and cooled in whatever space the artist could give them. Thus, you get inconsistent cooling rates, and glass slabs with non-parallel faces.

Since glass is in a liquid state at about 2200 degrees F...i doubt placing even the most crudely mixed bit of glass in Arizona sunshine for a few centuries will cause it to slump any further than when it was pulled from its mold 200 years beforehand. Thus ends your lesson in the urban myth of 'antique melting glass'.

Aug 8, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

not that these guys make products that LOOK great, but this link does show what type of framing it takes to build the bi-fold door which seems like it would be a great option for the project in question.

http://www.bifold.com/options/windows.cfm

Aug 8, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
crem

I've reviewed this thread a few times and I can't find the link for the CALATRAVE DOORS that is being raved about. Would someone please post the link? Thanks.

Also, I'm looking for source of elegant overhead sectional garaage-type doors with lots of glass and quality metal finishes and hardware that can be used in a residence as a roll-up wall in a cold climate. Nothing cottagey or quaint - more saimple, modernist and pure. I don't mind visible metal frame. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Dec 29, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

You may want to check out Barton Myers' House & Studio at Toro Canyon
in Montecito, California.

Jan 1, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Darn it took a long time to find this link again:

Jonkman

(They're Canadian)

Jan 2, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
the silent observer

there is always this:

http://www.oskaarchitects.com/Projects/101/Chicken-Point-Cabin

Jan 2, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: