Archinect
anchor

3D vs. physical models

FRiTZ

Just applied and got my first job as an architect (applause). What struck my during my course of interviews was that the Architects I talked to seemed to agree on that physical models were out and that everyone just uses 3D models instead.

Is this true, you guys professional, have we stopped using physical models (paper, clay, you-name-it) do we really get the same out of 3D models?

Jul 27, 05 9:04 pm
Bloopox

No, you get different things from each. My office does physical models for about a third of our projects, 3D models for slightly more than that, both for a few projects, and neither for the rest. I've worked in firms that do one or the other, or neither, or both. It depends on the type of work the firm does, the philosophies and history and presentation practices of the firm....

Jul 27, 05 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

physical models are hard to get eye level views but you can really understand spatial relationships better (in my opinion). Computer models can let you get the perspectives and details that you'd see as a user of the space but the "feeling" of space is sometimes a bit lacking. it's like a hand rendering vs. a computer one. each conveys similar information but emphasizes different nuances.

btw the firm i'm at does both and i think it's good.

Jul 27, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
montu

This is tru eyou simply don't get that tactile sensibility from holding the work in your hand as you do from physical models. I have been fortunate that I have been able to transition from physical models to virtual and bring those sensibilities withe me. The best firms use each tool to do what it does best.

also it is easier to lie with virtual

Jul 27, 05 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
montu

This is tru eyou simply don't get that tactile sensibility from holding the work in your hand as you do from physical models. I have been fortunate that I have been able to transition from physical models to virtual and bring those sensibilities withe me. The best firms use each tool to do what it does best.

also it is easier to lie with virtual

Jul 27, 05 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
FRiTZ

That supports my opinion, you'll never get the same out of 3D as you would from physical models and vice versa. In my opinion if you want to be serious you'll have to do both.

Jul 27, 05 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

Need both.

But if I were to choose one i'd pick the 3d model.

Just a question...is it actually necessary to BUILD a physical model "from scratch"? Or can CAM devices basically cut out/model any thing we want?

ty

Jul 28, 05 2:36 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

physical models can be great...just remember to make them at least three times that size! ;)

Jul 28, 05 2:40 am  · 
 · 

nappy, you can use 3d printers and other machines to do 3d models from cad data,but are not cheap.

as for modelling real vs modelling virtual, both are cool. but whatever works really.

Jul 28, 05 4:19 am  · 
 · 
Pete

A beginners question.

When do you make the physical model and when do you make the 3d in the design process? It's obvious you can do both, but not at the same time.

Jul 28, 05 4:26 am  · 
 · 
momentum

you can do them at the same time.

Jul 28, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
trace™

3D model first, then test in real model

both are good, but 3D is much faster

Jul 28, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

We often do physical models before 3D. A typical project for this scenario would be a residential project in which we've nailed down the massing, fenestration styles, rooves, etc. to some degree of certainty, but the client wishes to check things like heights of window sills, types of soffits, various finishes, step-downs, kitchen layouts, etc. - at which point we do more detailed 3D interior models and usually fly-arounds of various alternative schemes.

I also worked for a so-called "starchitect" whose offices usually approach much larger (mainly institutional and cultural) projects similarly: physical model at fairly small scale with large surrounding site model, produced early on in design process (and possibly redesigned/rebuilt multiple times) and then 3D computer models with much more detail later - often to show things like curvy/amorphous elements like monumental stairs, integration of technology and lighting, etc.

Most of the firms I've worked in have had the 3D computer modeling capabilities somewhat more integrated with more peoples' work processes - i.e. designers and project managers are involved personally in those models - whereas physical models are generally built by the most entry-level people (students, new-ish interns) and supervised by one senior person.

Jul 28, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

puddles-

you picked it up! was wondering if anyone would make the comment.

I did the whole "What IS this? A center for ants??" schpiel at my last firm one time while everyone was gathered around a model and got blank stares. I guess it's an age thing.

Jul 28, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
Jul 28, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i really enjoyed that movie. saw it at 11am on opening day back in september 01.

but speaking purely from the perspective of an architect, i have to say that scene is my all-time favorite.

Jul 28, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

a center for ants,

i am not sure the blank stares from your speil was strictly an age thing. even if no one had seen the movie, your comments should have been pretty funny (maybe even more so). i'm inclined to think that you were probably just working with a bunch of stiffs.

Jul 28, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

or maybe you're giving me too much credit and i have incredibly bad comedic delivery. you know? that guy that just can't tell a joke?

Jul 28, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
symmetry

Some critic should do that in a review

Jul 29, 05 2:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: