Archinect
anchor

Drive-in anybody?

ysolis

Drive-in anybody?
It seems everyone has fond memmories about them, but why is it there's none close by? The biggest reason behind them closing down is the numerous cineplex's. How can they make a huge come back, any suggestions? Especially on names of architects or ideas.

Jul 26, 05 3:01 pm
MysteryMan

It's proably obvious to you:
They've gotta get built way on out in the sticks, because land prices are too expensive in most urban/suburban areas to support Drive-Ins. Also, in much of the USA, this would be a seasonal business.

They could make a comeback more in fair weathered states, personally, I'd court the Biker & Auto Nuts. Getting all ofthe hipster doofuses on-board would be a big boost as well.

Here I go again, check what Starlite-6 does in ATL on Labor Day:

http://www.driveinvasion.com/DriveInvasion2005.html

If Drive-Ins were looked at as more of an'event' place than a 'movie' place, that could help. Or not.

Jul 26, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

I actually went to one somewhere in southern VT a few years ago with some friends. We watched Seabiscuit. Can't remember the town... near Bennington though.

Jul 26, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

there's a drive-in not too far from Portland... It's only open in the summer though, and it's always a double feature. Because it gets dark fairly late here, the second feature doesn't usually start until around midnight. It's fun though...

Jul 26, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
ysolis

it seems most of the drive-ins are in the east coast, I'm from Los Angeles there's no drive in's for miles? I searched for drive ins in California there's supposedly 27 but most are in the north. Could there be other reseasons besides land prices? I mean most of us here live basically in our car.

Jul 26, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
osnap

Another East Coast Drive In Spot, 146 west from Providence Rhode Island, about 10 miles out on your left, a drive in, followed immediately by another drive in of equal or lesser value. 10 bucks a car.

Jul 26, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
BEN_Diddy

theres a great drive-in in the city of industry, 20 minutes from downtown los angeles, called the vineland drive-in. its a swapmeet during the day but shows movies from 7:30 PM - 1AM. during the weekends you get a triple feature for 7 bucks. cant beat it...

Jul 26, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
db

"They've gotta get built way on out in the sticks, because land prices are too expensive in most urban/suburban areas to support Drive-Ins"

well--except in eroded city cores like in detroit and st louis, where these could be feasible -- not that they're getting done though.

parking lot by day / drive-in at night.

check out the book "stalking detroit" for some related notions as well as the notion of terrain vague as a viable form of urbanism ("landscape urbanism" via waldheim et al)

Jul 26, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Now, the Swap meet, That's a good & common 'day-use' for the D/I. When ATL had 2 Drive-Ins, the now-gone D/I was a real bustling swap meet for ATLs burgeoning Latin population. Then, they went & levelled it to build the annoying multi-plex.

Jul 26, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I have heard of one other in North GA. It's up in a tiny lil' town called Tiger. I'll bet it's hopping in the Summer.

Jul 26, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

here's the live cam for the concession stand at the fiesta drive-in in carlsbad, new mexico.

[

Jul 26, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Wow, they've figured out the ultimate security system - If they get knocked-off by some hoods, Archinecters from around the world will be dialing 911.

Jul 26, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

For those who are in LA and want a different drive-in experience get a copy of the LA Weekly and look in the adverts in the first 1/2 of the paper for a 2"x2" add that says 10" with a womans head in the background. Go to the website and show up. You won't be disappointed.

Jul 26, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

7:41 pm - the dudes making corn dogs.
someone's keys, cell phone and a drink are on the counter.

Jul 26, 05 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: