Archinect
anchor

Job Confusion

terri812

I am a professional social worker. I currently work in a dialysis center and have 120 patients. My job is quite flexible as I have two children ages 3 and 9 and that comes in handy. I'm not crazy about the work, but the flexibility is good. The majority of my co-workers are extremely petty and nasty. There are few and far between nice people there. I drive approximately 30 minutes each way to work, and I have worked there for four years. I recently had an offer to work at a community hospital where I know the supervisor personally. She is a great person. They made me a decent offer and agreed to be flexible, understanding the needs of a working mother. The only drawback is that it is a 24 mile commute each way. That is the only thing holding me back.

Do I stay in a job I'm less than thrilled with with annoying people just because of proximity? Or move to another job working with more professional people commuting 50 minutes each way?

My current manager is telling me to stay where I'm at because the Medical Director is working on a "really great deal" that would potentially mean a better job for me, but he says he can't go into any further detail and that the "deal" will not go through for another 9 months or so.

I know it's confusing, but I'm confused as what to do. Any advice out there?

Jul 24, 05 5:47 pm

1. the potential new job seems to have fallen in your lap - maybe if it was that easy there are more out there that would be equally decent and flexible but also more convenient. have you looked?

2. how did you come to ask this question on an architecture discussion board? neither your work environment or your situation sounds like something into which we'd have any particularly relevant insights.

Jul 24, 05 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
terri812

1. Yes, I have looked for something more convenient/local. I have not been able to find a job that pays well with flexibility. The job did literally "fall in my lap" as I just happened to call this woman to ask her about something else, and she informed me of the opening.

2. This is a good question...I did a search on the web which brought me to this website...I guess there was a similar question out there. Sorry! My fault...

Jul 24, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

no problem. keeps us on our toes.

Jul 24, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: