Archinect
anchor

ARE Study Guides

squaresville

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a study guide for the Arch. Registration Exam, or some ideas about fiding recently used copies. I have seen some on Amazon but a little sceptical, and there are packages with flash cards and all that jazz that are pretty expensive. I just need the books with hopefully some sample questions, and or some graphic scenarios. Any info greately appreciated especially by those that are studing or have passed.

Thanks.

Jul 12, 05 3:07 pm
pomotrash

balast guides. short sweet and concise. You can find them on Amazon. Also, get the flash cards. They have questions that bear the most resemblence to the stupid queries that appear on the ARE.

Jul 12, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

You will of course also want to kill yourself shortly after you begin to study.

Jul 12, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
squaresville

ha ha. probably.
thanks.

Jul 12, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
tect75

for graphics: www.are-solutions.com (good community forum of people actively taking the exams)
for multiple choice: www.areforum.org
www.kaplanaecarchitecture.com
www.nalsa.com
www.ppi2pass.com

Jul 12, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I know someone who scheduled the test one a week for nine weeks, studied only using the flash cards, and passed everything first time through.

My old office had a sample test disc for the graphic tests that showed you how to use the graphic software the test is administered in - that helped me a lot. I think NCARB actually put it out? Can't remember, sorry. But some basic familiarity with the software was essential for me.

Jul 12, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Oh yeah.

The NCARB practice download is nice too. Buy the solution books from them for maximium effectiveness.

Jul 12, 05 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Yup. Use nothing but the Dorf ARE Solutions for the graphics. Everything else is a waste of time.

Kaplan/ALS is good for M&M, CDs, M&ES.

Predesign is so broad it really doesn't matter as long as you study something.

I used Ballast and Arnold for GS & LF.

And the Archiflash is good for general review, finding out what topics you don't know shit about, and passing the time while waiting at the plotter.

But you should really take a look at www.areforum.org That site was more helpful than any of the guides, and will probably offer you better guidance than you will get on this site since everyone there is taking the test. Good luck!

Jul 14, 05 12:57 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

And the sample software is available for download from the NCARB website, although you will have to pay Prof. Dorf at ARE Solutions for the answers. Still worth it.

Jul 14, 05 12:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: