Archinect
anchor

Pitt Again....

sarahjane

Pitt To Make UK Documentary
Hollywood heart-throb BRAD PITT is taking a year out from his Hollywood career to make a documentary about celebrated architect FRANK GEHRY.
The star is to become a permanent fixture in the UK while he records the progress of Gehry's $450 million project on the historic King Alfred site in Hove, south east England.
Gehry is best known as the architect behind the famous Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain.
Pitt is reportedly dating ANGELINA JOLIE, who has chosen Britain as her base after buying a lavish country house in Buckinghamshire.
Project developers Karis expect filming to commence in the autumn.
A Karis spokesman says, "Brad's been involved in the project for nearly two years. We're in discussions with the BBC and with Brad's production company Plan B about a documentary."

Jul 7, 05 9:12 am
3ifs

way to go brad... personally i can't wait to see this.

Jul 7, 05 9:15 am  · 
 · 
sarahjane

Me too - what is with his sudden obsession with architecture - he should stick with acting and heading the gossip columns if you ask me.

Jul 7, 05 9:17 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

i disagree, while he is a talented actor, its his work. if he wants to take up architecture as an interest and a hobby, then so be it. he has worked hard, made a ton of money, and now finds himeself with some free time to pursue other interests.

if the other interest happens to be architecture and it brings some positive publicity to the profession, that's great for us.

this has been discussed at great length on here already.

Jul 7, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
sarahjane

Well in that case I am sorry for bringing up an already discussed topic. I am quite new and haven't read every every topic posted.

I found the article this morning and thought it maybe of interest in a popular culture regard.

I also highly disagree with your statement of 'positive publicity.' Yes, publicity is publicity - but positive in what respect? Years of work is required to become an architect - and a good one at that. Kissing a superstars ass should not count as experience.

Additionally, since you have already discussed this 'at great length' feel free to disregard this post and opinion.

Jul 7, 05 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

There are several ways to get involved in architecture and influence it. One, lesser effective route, is to suffer architecture school and internship. One is to become independently wealthy and famous and then get interested in architecture. Also, you cannot deny for example, that the Owner's wife, who kinda likes architecture and fancys herself a designer, will have more design pull and aesthetic power over the architect if she wants it. Hence a third way to get involved, simply commission architecture. Let's be realistic and not architecture ogres.
Let's see what Brad can do.

Jul 7, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

don't feel bad about bringing it up, your post cites new news regarding mr. pitt.

i don't think that brad is trying to circumvent the years of hard work required to become an architect, nor do i think he is kissing a superstars ass, trying to pass it off as experience.

a vast majority of americans don't really pay any attention to the built environment, or to architects for that matter... they do however pay close attention to hollywood stars, so maybe when a big name hollywood star starts hanging out with an architect and talking about the positive influent architects have on the built environment, people will actually think about it. i know its a long shot, but take what you can get.

why would i disregard your post and opinion? as an archinect user, you have the right to your opinions, and the right to post them...

Jul 7, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
raj

i was remembering something i saw on TV about brad and arch a while ago...a studio and guest house...

http://www.graftlab.com/
there are two projects that they worked on with him...they are interesting.

Jul 7, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
somer

perhaps what concerns me about this situation is the message that it sends to all non-architects--that they can be as involved and opinionated as they want regarding projects, et cetera, without having any formal education to back them up.
what happens when someone, less informed, suddenly "knows" more than you about your work?
i think that it is extremely important that the public be aware of architecture and its importance in an environment, but when does that line get crossed?

Jul 7, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I really don't understand how any of you can talk crap about someone bringing a little awarness to the world of architecture. For the common person, to see something like Gehry's buildings is probably a pretty incredible moment. If Pitt or anyone else can make something that enlightens the public about the new things they see, there's nothing wrong with that.

Equally, disliking someone because they have interests beyond their primary field of work is rather silly too.

Jul 7, 05 10:55 am  · 
 · 
sarahjane

My fear is that architecture is entering into the realm of actors who become singers, who become dancers, who become talk show hosts, who become architects.

This can be a disruptive cycle to become involved in.

Jul 7, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

how can that fear be realized when we are talking about one incident?

also there is the common thread of performance art between actors and musicians.

that is truely a longshot at best sarah.

Jul 7, 05 11:22 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

who are all these famous people wanting to be architects?

am i just out of the pop culture loop? i've been holed up in my house reading zines and watching indie documentaries.

Jul 7, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 
sarahjane

... and now we have Kravitz.

This seems to be a trend.

Jul 7, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Here's something else that is important to remember - Brad Pitt is much better looking than ANY male architect in the profession (yes, even Meier).

I think that's a good thing, to inject the profession of architecture with some well chiseled abs, tight pecs, and a consistently perfect tan.

Show me a non-architect who wouldn't better respect architects if Pitt were a figurehead, and I'll wear my pants on my head for a week.

Jul 7, 05 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

What would you expect from the north american main stream. With a massive increase in Home magazines and fixer-upper shows on TV without a hint of an Architect in sight we should come to expect that anyone can be a designer. I find it ridiculous to have to battle it out with my wife's friends at a cocktail party over what they consider design issues. Its an argument they have no place in yet they feel empowered because they just read an article in "Style at Home" or saw an episode of "Trading Places".

Sad.

Jul 7, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
sarahjane

True!

He will be quite the motivator for all of us to work out and drink less beer.

I suppose that I did need a new idol in the realm of architecture - zaha wasn't really pulling her weight.

Jul 7, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Is he hot or what?

Jul 7, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
sarahjane

True he is hot.

I hope he wears his shirt like that in the office.

Jul 7, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Isabelle

kravitz, brad pitt, and architecture what the hell? has anyone seen pitt's work in jewelry it's laughable. his quick stunt at art center shows.

Jul 7, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Isabelle, Brad Pitt very well may be the next Le Corbusier. I'm not saying it's certain, but you have to remember that Corb was also a handsome international playboy in his years prior to architecture.

Jul 7, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Isabelle

Please don't compare le corbusier to pitt.

Jul 7, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

HOTT ARCHITECTS:

Jul 7, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Comparisons aside, who would you rather date:

Modern day Brad Pitt
or
Corb at the height of his years in France
or
Modern day Brad Pitt in 30's Paris (sent back using a time machine)
or
30's era Le Corbusier, who loves taking you shopping at Marc Jacobs in Beverly Hills, followed by a trip to In & Out Burger

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Jul 7, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Get it on! Brad gets down in Hove.

link

"Pitt's new role may be part of a wider trend among Hollywood actors who used to turn to the stage or rock'n'roll as an antidote to Tinsletown's superficiality. Earlier this week Star Wars actor Hayden Christensen revealed he was considering giving up acting for architecture."

Jul 7, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
French

What's wrong with that? If they don't succeed, they can become potential wealthy client...

Jul 7, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

My boss just caught me cleaning out my ears with the tip of a paperclip.

Jul 7, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

he should stick with movies

Jul 7, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I don't care what career path Brad wants to follow, as long as he shows up for work with his shirt open like that....damn, Manteno, that is one h-o-t picture.

But seriously, none of us are upset that Brad Pitt wans to expand from acting into producing/deeloping/directing movies, which is what this article appears to say. An actor making a documentary about an architect whose work he admires seems to me like a pretty good way to get an enjoyable documentary that focuses on architecture - and what could be wrong with that?

(Especially if he cameos in it with his shirt off - yum.)

Jul 7, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
innov8rdi

It just doesn’t make sense to be upset or feel threatened by Brad Pitt…

You guys that are upset about Pitt/Kravitz/Hollywood meddling in the field can’t let them desecrate what you are committed to. It doesn’t affect what architecture is or why it is cool… because nothing has changed. Well, at least nothing that matters anyway.

Because you just can’t have heroes… because they’re just another person. You can have respect though for things people have done. And the people that respect Brad Pitt for whatever architectural creation he has created just don’t understand what is really happening… they don’t understand enough about architecture. The truth is, Pitt himself didn’t make shit.

There could be potential situations that Pitt might encounter that will allow him to create nonsense. This will most likely infuriate us architects who have spent time educating ourselves on what and how we should and shouldn’t do things, but you can’t honestly be mad at Pitt… It’s the responsibility of those who are paying people like him to do it.

The only thing happening is that a name is being associated with someone who may not deserve it which may not seem fair, but you can’t let it ruin the perception (or whatever else you feel is threatened) of architecture because people like him are exploiting notoriety to get somewhere. The only people that will buy into it can’t know any better and their perception just doesn’t impact anything architects are doing…

Jul 8, 05 2:35 am  · 
 · 
RSD

HMM... THIS IS ALL WAY OUT OF HAND. THESE ARE JUST PEOPLE TOO LIKE ME AND YOU. SO WHAT IF THEY HAVE A NAME. IF THEY ARE INTERESTED, THEN BY ALL MEANS, LET THEM EXPRESS THEMSELVES. I THINK IT'S GREAT TO CROSS OVER INTO OTHER CREATIVE FIELDS. MOST PEOPLE I KNEW IN SCHOOL WERE KINDA RENAISSANCE TYPES.. I MYSELF AM INTO A BUNCH OF THINGS: SING, PLAY GUITAR, PAINT, PHOTOGRAPHY, COOK, DESIGN FURNITURE, DESIGN PRODUCTS, GRAPHIC DESIGNER, WEB DESIGNER...ETC.. SO HOW COULD I GET MAD AT SOMEONE WHO HAS A THING FOR ARCHITECTURE.. ANYWAYS, LOOKING AT BRAD'S BODY STRUCTURE, HE LOOKS LIKE AN INTP. HE'S AN ECTOMORPH!

Jul 8, 05 3:32 am  · 
 · 
RSD

HMM... THIS IS ALL WAY OUT OF HAND. THESE ARE JUST PEOPLE TOO LIKE ME AND YOU. SO WHAT IF THEY HAVE A NAME. IF THEY ARE INTERESTED, THEN BY ALL MEANS, LET THEM EXPRESS THEMSELVES. I THINK IT'S GREAT TO CROSS OVER INTO OTHER CREATIVE FIELDS. MOST PEOPLE I KNEW IN SCHOOL WERE KINDA RENAISSANCE TYPES.. I MYSELF AM INTO A BUNCH OF THINGS: SING, PLAY GUITAR, PAINT, PHOTOGRAPHY, COOK, DESIGN FURNITURE, DESIGN PRODUCTS, GRAPHIC DESIGNER, WEB DESIGNER...ETC.. SO HOW COULD I GET MAD AT SOMEONE WHO HAS A THING FOR ARCHITECTURE.. ANYWAYS, LOOKING AT BRAD'S BODY STRUCTURE, HE LOOKS LIKE AN INTP. HE'S AN ECTOMORPH!

Jul 8, 05 3:32 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

"Pitt has decided to forego his acting career and turn his attention to his passion of "architecture". Pitt will be attending Texas A&M University where he will be acting as a head draftsman. The dean of the college is excited and has explained to him "the first rule of architecture school is we don't mention architecture school". Already, his interest in this field has rendered clients, as dual owners (Pitt, & George Clooney) hire Pitt to design a proposed trendy restaurant/club in Las Vegas"

recieved via email this morning.... I smell BS - why wouldn't he attand Sci-Arc?

Aug 2, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 

head draftsman at texas a&m?!?!

not only bs, but bs by someone who doesn't know anything about how architecture school might work.

Aug 2, 05 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
French

Cameron, the end of the mail talking about the restaurant in vegas is no bullshit. I've had the info from another source.

Aug 2, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Cameron- actually, I would expect him to attend USC, given that he's been involved in fundraising efforts for them in the past, and that that's where Gehry went.

Aug 2, 05 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

no way. if he gravitates towards gehry he'd totally be into name recognition. GSD for Brad.

Aug 2, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS
link nto texas story
Aug 2, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

but cambridge? come on. If he went to USC he could stay in his posh Beverly Hills mansion, until he was taught what a piece of crap it was, and then buy a Koenig or a Neutra, and hold the best parties there.

Aug 2, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

actually center...doesn't gehry pretty much hate the gsd?
i recall hearing stories about a lecture he had there that
turned into a quesiton/answer period gone wrong. i'm
pretty sure he won't lecture there again...but i may be
wrong.

Aug 2, 05 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

although i guess he did go there...so what to do i know.

Aug 2, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hilarious story... Crown Hall (mies building on IIT campus) renovations began at the start of this summer... they had a ceremony and auctioned off who could break the first pane of glass at crown hall. During the conception of this ceremony, it was hoped to be a publicity stunt to aid in fundraising. IIT was to speak to Brad Pitt's representatives about his possible interest in helping raise money for the renovation... nothing ever came of it... but still... fricken sweet

Aug 2, 05 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

College Station is totally homophobic. Stay away pretty boy!

Aug 2, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Brad, Angelina and photographer Steven Klein 'investigated' domesticity, the building of a perfect couple and the "cracks in the facade." read (you can catch the results in a humungous 58 page spread in W magazine).

Aug 2, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

This whole actors into architects thing reminds me of Malkovich becoming a puppeteer and Sean Penn following suit. Fucking hysterical.

However, let's face it, people jump on trends and if all the hollywood stars start becoming/getting into architecture, people will probably feel that they need too as well to validate their lifestyles. Maybe this will start the declining trend of McMansion homes and 1 day refurbs on HGTV. Just a thought. Plus, no normal individual will be able to afford Ghery/Pitt level of architecture and they may actually put some of us tertiary folk to work.

That said, I think that Harrison Ford scene in witness where he shows off his Amish carpentry skills is way sexy. SKILLS! Ammish carpenters raising the barn, now that's hot on sooo many levels!

Aug 3, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

Didn't Hayden Christenson leave acting to go to architecture school too? There is a direct link between film and architecture, thats why architecture schools usually have film classes: designing a scene is simlar to designing a space in many respects. Understanding space is crucial in both fields, so its not suprising that actors or directors might dabble in architecture. As for everyone crying "wah, we can't have actors coming into architecture!" just remember that Ridley Scott (diretor of Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven) was trained as an Architect, not a director, and Pixar brought in a team of architects to work on The Incredibles. Maybe the film industry should be bitching about us taking over their field.

Aug 16, 05 9:45 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

btw, Pitt already owns several Neutras in LA...he's been a huge proponent for the saving of modernist houses in the LA area.
he's actually been getting steadily more and more involved with architecture for the past 10 years.
as for the impact of this on the field of architecture, Pitt is really more of a educated client than an architect. but what's wrong with that. in the end he'll just need to hire very good people to help execute what he will be able to finance. in a way, it's really not that different than phillip johnson (how is it that his name hasn't come up yet in this post?). really it is hard to see the negative in all this. educated clients are the most interesting to work with...the lady who commissioned several of morphosis's early houses ended up going on to become an architect...it's really the newest means toward acquiring a cultured sense, of becoming a "gentleman" or "lady" whichever the case may be.

Aug 16, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: