Archinect
anchor

Who? Wes Jones,Who? Wes Jones,Who? Wes Jones

user09

Yeah so I maybe late but Im really feeling Wes Jones' work from Jones and Partners firm. What do you guys think about his stuff?...discuss

Jun 30, 05 3:56 pm
e

what has wes done lately?

Jun 30, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
st.

exactly...what has wes done for me lately.

Jun 30, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
CalebRichers

he has awsome cad renderings/drawings...built work? eh! O.K.

Jun 30, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Oh, you guys jest. New condo's up in both Silverlake and Redondo Beach. 3 container projects are either in CD or permit. And the new monograph will be out sometime soon.

Jun 30, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

can't wait to see it (new monograph). great work. would love to work there.

Jun 30, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

you won't get paid a whole hell of a lot that's for sure.

Jun 30, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
user09

people, i meant discuss as in terms more so like: do you think its bs( his whole BOSS architecture theory) or do you actually understand his theory. I personally think the whole container study is rather overdone by now. I feel his work does have a certain edge to it that makes his work impersonal and different. A lot of stuff out there now is so personal and selfish.

Jun 30, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Kinda hard to say the container study is overdone, when we've really only done one test case-

Jun 30, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
dirtyjay

I read some of the first book and even quoted Wes in the writing portion of my thesis project, but I can't say that I understood it then and I am real sure I don't understand it now. I did feel smart while I was reading it though.

However, now I don't really find myself worrying to much about theoretical problems per se...I find that most of my time is spent thinking about a variety of real problems that are facing our society. I only say this in regards to the container study comment. Appleseed is right that the whole container thing is not overdone. There has only been a handful of project built (not just rendered and published in magazines) that have explored the adaptive re-use of objects such as shipping containers. I feel that as long as there are containers going to waste and people that need housing the container study should continue...more designs produced...more designs built...more people with a home

...that's a pretty utopian way of thinking though...

Jun 30, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

dirtyjay, you felt smart when you read his stuff? i felt dumb, becasue i understood maybe 2 words. I kinda get his BOSS concept but how it relates to the modern/postmodern situation wentright over my head.

I was able to hear him lecture along with other eisenman desciples at Ohio State. I was all excited becasue i thought i would hear him speak in real human language. But the first thing he said was " Well..unfortunatley i am not as eloquent a speaker as Greg (lynn) is so i wrote my lecture out." I was like NOOOOOOOO. And i understood again...2 words.

Jun 30, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

monkeyboy ~

i was at that lecture !!

that was a painful read ..

BOSS

'twas not :'(

Jun 30, 05 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

I heard him lecture (well, read outloud) this year and while that was a bit disappointing the question and answer session afterwards was excellent. He was certainly an eloquent speaker when answering questions.

A good read is his essay in LOG #3 (or possibly #4).

Jun 30, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

you guys are haters. I mean a few of you I guess are complimenting him, but god, pretentious attitudes a plenty here.

Wes' work [graphically] is amazing. Instrumental Form is a great monograph and if you cant find appreciation for his work in some way you're really banal.

Jul 1, 05 12:51 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

When I first read the title for this thread, I thought it was talking about Who is Mike Jones... hahah

Jul 1, 05 12:52 am  · 
 · 
momentum

e,

if money was my main point in life i would've been a lawyer (not a very good one since i can't argue, but hey). i've found i'm happiest in a situation where there is a lot of design, and some major time spent on things. it's just me.

and the use of containers is definately not overdone. what is overdone are big box department stores, and phallic towers by david childs. that's just my opinion though.

Jul 1, 05 9:04 am  · 
 · 
momentum

oh, and containers are not the only thing he has done, he has just helped to further there possibilities more than most anyone.

Jul 1, 05 9:05 am  · 
 · 
trace™

He was a good professor, for the most part (can't say I agreed with a lot of the class, though).

Personally, I think that container's are more of a fetish object or an ideal. He's done some cool stuff with them, as has Pugh+Scarpa, but it was certainly not cheaper than starting from scratch.

Jul 1, 05 9:21 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
Jul 1, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

i am not hating, i love wes's work.. one of my favorite designers. just dont understand what he writes. looks like a cool guy too. does not fit the mold of the typical architect. at the lecture he wore jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt, his tatooed arms fully exposed. the rest were in the Kennth Cole and D&G.

Jul 1, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
e

momentum, i'm not saying money is the main point. i have had friends who've worked for him, and the salaries are beyond embarrassing. i have no issue with his work. personally, i love it and think it is extremely engaging and beautiful, but i also believe you should repect the ppl that work for you by paying them what they are worth.

Jul 1, 05 11:54 am  · 
 · 
momentum

e, i agree with you on paying people what they are worth.

if wes jones is banking, and treating his employees like shit, that is a situation i wouldn't walk into. but if he is struggling, and paying people what he can, that is a different story. if he is up front about it being a struggle at the office month to month, then it becomes the choice of the employee wether or not to take the job.

i don't know a thing about the actual studio life there, so i can't comment on what it is or not, i just know i love the work. would love to know what really goes down there though from day to day if you can fill me in.

oh, what is a salary that is byond embarrassing if you don't mind me asking?

Jul 1, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
e

momentum, you raise vaild points. i don't think this is the place to get into details.

beyond embarrassing is different for each person, but i think the profession as a whole needs to demand to be paid and paid well for their work. as a business owner myself, i'd have a real hard time not paying any employee well.

Jul 1, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

The money is NOT 'beyond embarrassing'. The studio culture is super chill. We played a pretty bloody game of softball against Steven Ehrlich Architects. We won.

Jul 1, 05 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
e

glad to hear things have changed apple. props for kicking the crap out of ehrlich's office.

Jul 1, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

appleseed, god job on kicking the ass of ehrich's office.

if anyone wants to mention anything beyond embarrassing in terms of pay, they made me an "offer" a little over a year ago to work with them for 6 months at about 325-350 a week. sad part is i almost had to take it just to get a job at that point.

Jul 1, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

that would be good job, not god job unless of course he is on your team.

Jul 1, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

I can only dream of a fabrication job at a firm like that. I'd love to work at an office where having stretched lobes doesn't make you a total oddball.

Jul 1, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Does Jesus count?

Jul 1, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

what??? i heard from someone he drives a porsche....
yes im sure he is struggling very hard..so hard that he has to drive a porsche.

The sad fact is that 325-350$ per week is supposed to be good pay.

But i cannot deny that at some point i was extremely intrigued by his work. But after i visited the facilities department at UCLA i noticed looks nothing like what he had designed and published - guess his built work just does not stand up to his cool black-and-white raytraced renderings

Jul 1, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
archigeek

Wes is dope. I have mad respect for his work, both built and published, and how he runs his office. They're personal, they build, and they say frick off if you're lame.

I've known of 4 people thus far that have been more than just summer interns at his firm and they're salaries are far from embarassing. I was once offered 1/2 thier salary from a no-name firm because that's what Morphosis was paying at the time, and their salaries were equal to what FOGA offered me. And from what I can tell those two firms are making way more bank-o-la. That's just a problem with architecture in general.

Don't hate.

Jul 1, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i meant 325-350 from erhlich's office. sorry for any confusion.

Jul 1, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Figured I would bump this for those interested in the latest work.

jonespartners.com

Oct 20, 05 2:05 am  · 
 · 
stainB

dude, that website is seriously giving me headache!

Oct 20, 05 6:16 am  · 
 · 

site is a bit heavy on the flash but would be a nice commercial. am gonna have to look at it in babysteps.

love his work. no idea about pay but if you can't support a family on it, it ain't enough...

his writing is annoying, but it has very little to do with his real work (i think...maybe i just didn't understand) so who cares. thing that makes me laf is that BOSS reminds me way too much of that airline company (song) where everyone is supposed to buy into the product as vibe deal; the product isn't flying, travel or anything you might expect it to be. the product is just the vibe. gives me shivers. not that that is his intent its just that one word standing in for all the super-deep content thang.

Oct 20, 05 8:30 am  · 
 · 
hotsies

Wes's work i think is amazing. and his drawings are always fun.. but that website is so freaking slow.. it always amazes me that for a self proclaimed lover of technology his work (and now his website) are really museums of old technology..hes much more a fetishist than someone who thinks new tech is a great thing..hes got some love of 1950s machines...

The other thing for me is his love of BOSS or profession of being Cool.. it reminds me of a 45 year old at a singles bar trying to pick up young girls by telling everoyne how "cool" he is.. realy coolness and people who are dont need to constantly tell you of this fact.. hes insecure.

remember that simpsons ep. where marge kept telling bart how cool she was?

Oct 20, 05 9:36 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

His new site has some of his recent works. Check it out. http://www.jonespartners.com/

Instrumental Form is a great monograph. I bought mine years ago and my parents bought me an extra copy. My lil bro has it, if anyone wants it, PM me.

Oct 20, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
e

gawd, why can't wes get a decent site up? not as bad as the first, but still not good.

Oct 20, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

I think the new site is amusing... its using Flash to make what could be a very banal, simple website into something excessively flashy, a BOSS website...

Oct 20, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
e

amusing at first, frustrating for the long haul.

Oct 20, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
AP

made my computer freeze

Oct 20, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wes Jones is a funny character. Yes, character is quite a good word. I saw him speak in a very informal lecture where he admitted that his containers were unrealistic in both cost and legal obstacles. The next day he lectured formally and professed his undying belief that the container is an affordable, quick housing solution. WTF? So the first WJ I saw was WJ the actor. The second was WJ as WJ the character.

Oct 20, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Also, at the informal lecture someone asked him if he had ever welded. Looking at his tough-guybuildinsg and tough-guy tattoos, the answer would seem to be an obvious yes. His answer was a sheepish "I tried it once."

Oct 20, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

But don't get me wrong. I like his monograph. I pushed it hard in undergrad. I just had to learn to like his pretty drawings as just that. He is a pretty-drawing-maker.

Oct 20, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
user09

gar...what exactly are you tryin to say? Wes jeezy has plenty of built projects.

Oct 20, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Last I heard I was the Man in the containa' call me steel dawg bring ice to tha chamba'. Got mad steel flow, I deflect on suckas', even with 4 kips I still deflect on suckas. Got some friends in the legion of doom, be blowin that orange halftone keep ya high like tha moon, i'm tha Bossman. BOSS MAN!

Oct 20, 05 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

word up...

Oct 20, 05 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeh, thats it.

Oct 20, 05 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I didn't say he hasn't built stuff. I am saying his pretty drawings are just pretty drawings.

That new website of his is "pretty" too. I like the old one better... the long horizontal bar. Much less flash. The new flash makes me dizzy and nauseated.

Oct 20, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
user09

oh.....k

Oct 20, 05 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Was that not clear?

Oct 20, 05 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: