Archinect
anchor

The SOM "Freedom Tower" embarrassment

wurdan freo

Dear Mr. Childs,

I am writing to acknowledge the commanding and noteworthy work you have demonstrated with the 9/11 mess. The final result is most capital. You truly are an inspiration. Your creativity and resolve will be noted for the ages. I offer you my sincerest congratulations. Job well done.

Your humble aficionado,

Peter Keating

P.S. Perhaps you could suggest naming rights for a 10% fee. I have a friend who works at Oscar Meyer and he has expressed interest. The “Oscar Meyer Freedom Tower”. Now doesn’t that have a ring to it.

Sep 7, 06 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

haha!

not sure if my stomach turned from looking at the pics or from the Oscar Meyer reference...

Sep 7, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

I think it's a worthy tribute to the Gorge Bush Jnr. political era.

Sep 8, 06 6:00 am  · 
 · 
modularnyc

This project and this tower is utterly ridiculous. And who gives a F**** about how tall the tower is at 1776 or whatever the number is? What does that have anything to do with freedom, democracy and building? Stupid connotations like that should be banned from architecture.

Sep 8, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

how about World Trade Center Transportation Hub?

Jan 24, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

This may have been asked already...but Danny won the competition right? or was that just for the master plan?

And does anyone find it interesting that none of the other towers went to Americans? Or realize that they are better (cooler looking) buildings than the freedom tower?

what happened to "freedom fries"?

"The tower will be and should become an icon...that's just a regular building, just taller."

Jan 25, 07 12:45 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"The tower will be and should become an icon...that's just a regular building, just taller."

These are words that make me say "Kill The Tower".
replace them with real innovation and newthinking, replace the sovial games and celebrations with a want for real progress and a new splendid architecture, make it by core the new jobs a mountain of money.

Do not build Towers install a new architecture that offer something better, what that city need , a vision and a wonder . Start realise that not stardom or famewish solve the task , do not Deliver only newthinking and genuine creativity ever was what was pushed behind in the hount for spetacular cold ice Towers.

Jan 25, 07 6:23 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist
http://www.nationaltrust.org/Magazine/_images/news/FreedomTower.jpg

Freedom Tower.... Miami

Jan 26, 07 12:35 am  · 
 · 
toroid

where's indy_is_crap when we need him?

Jan 26, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

i dont like the spire on top the way it is, for some reason the aesthetics of it doesnt look right to me.
i get the whole 1776 feet thing, and actually think thats not too bad, since you need some kind of big basic idea like that, but maybe the building should actually be 1776 feet tall, not 1600 with a 176 foot spire, or whatever it is, i didnt check
the way it looks to me, its kind of like nyc is giving the finger to everyone across the ocean

Jan 26, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: