Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Crit

Just graduated and first time getting ready to apply for architecture jobs with portfolio. This is a draft of my portfolio, so things are still a bit scattered. But I would love to hear some critic for what direction I should go - less project/detail, or more? Two of my projects are from my earlier years, but I like how they show hand-draft and model process. But I notice that most people have nice quality digital works in their portfolio, and I am not sure my earlier work are advanced enough. Should I replace one of them and focus more on a later project that I did with ArchiCad?  Would love hear everyone's thought.

http://issuu.com/amychan331/docs/portfoliojuly2011concise2c/1

Sep 18, 11 2:53 am
OneLostArchitect

You need to structure your graphical layout a lot better. I  understand you have a lot of stuff floating around due to it being a draft, but it needs a graphical driver through the entire portfolio. Every page needs to tell a story. What do you want that page to say to your future employer? I see a lot of what seems to be past presentation boards slapped onto a 8.5" x 11" page... this is not going to do anything for the view, plus it isn't even legible on what's going on. For the 'Crossing Studio'... don't take a image of your presentation boards and throw them in your portfolio. That just seems as if you didn't want to do the page, and wanted to produce the portfolio it as quickly as possible. People want to see someone who will take time to craft their portfolio graphically, not the fast way out. I also recommend you to go into each page, and simplify it. Limit yourself to 3 sketches per page, and limit your text. An employer isn't going to sit down and read every word. They want to know if you are competent enough to work in their office. Go through a few drafts, and you should have a presentable portfolio.

Best of luck on the job search!

Sep 20, 11 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you, oneLOSTarchitect. I will definitely take your advice as I continue to revise my portfolio.

Sep 23, 11 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Amy, your link doesn't work anymore.

Sep 24, 11 2:41 am  · 
 · 

Sorry about that, Urbanist. I was working on replacing my portfolio when I realized that the adaptar for my macbook has burned out. I don't have enough power on my macbook to clean up my portfolio, so I can't replace it. I am using a library computer now, but as soon as I can get back on my laptop, I will post up my portfolio again. Thank you for waiting.

Sep 26, 11 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

I finally updated another draft of my portfolio. After reflecting on my decisions, I decided to replace one of my earlier work with a later work. Then I show portions of that earlier work in the last page, which displays a small gallery of my craft works. The second page is blank because that's where my resume goes when I apply. Since it is a public posting for design critic, I thought it may be better to leave so much detail information out.

The composition and the image used had also varied so the flow would be more smooth. But, I am trying to keep the layout coloring simple so it doesn't distract. Hope it shows: http://issuu.com/amychan331/docs/achan_portfoliodraft?mode=window&viewMode=doublePage

Oct 18, 11 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

So what do everyone think? Good? Bad? I would love any opinions.

Oct 22, 11 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
jurysdykcja

Ok, what i heard from a hr dude in one of the best offices in europe was: "I usually have so many applicants, that i check the cover, if it is not cool i often dont go any further. I make the decision basing on first 5 pages. Only super good portfolios are really analysed."

What i mean is, it is not the best idea to leave cover as a blank page with gradient. It is not graphically sophisticated enough to risk wasting the precious space. Also i think that 30 pages are much to much.I would cut it in half. Less images, but bigger is also a good idea.

Oct 23, 11 9:58 am  · 
 · 
technophobia

Your content looks fine to me, though I'd include a few large 'wow' inducing images to really catch the eye (renders or photoshopped model photos?). A few graphical nitpicks:

I agree with jurysdykcja about the cover. Something needs to happen there.

What size are you planning to print this out at? Even as a landscape 8.5 x 11" portfolio, some of your drawings and diagrams are very hard to read at their current size. I understand that you want some white space (that's usually a good thing), but it shouldn't come at the expense of legibility.

I'm not entirely convinced of the font choice. The fonts in your portfolio should be more consistent. For example, the humanist font you chose for the titles and main body of text  (Optima?) doesn't mesh well with the font you chose to use in your diagrams on page 16 (Calibri is also humanist, but for different reasons). Optima is fine for title blocks, but not as body text. Also the title block should always be in the same position on each respective page unless their positions are meant to convey some sort of indexing system, something I'm not seeing here (page 20 vs 24).

The orange graphic elements are a bit garish given the warmth of the colors in your images. Orange is one of the most difficult colors to work with because it's so 'loud'. The specific shade used for your descriptive text is too light for white fonts. I would either remove the orange blocks completely or replace them with neutral or cooler colored blocks. In any case, make the color darker if you're dead set on white text (though you're well advised to keep all of your text black for consistency).

Oct 23, 11 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: