Archinect
anchor

How much do you earn?

e

yep, not a lot of liablity, but a bad photo, catalogue or web site won't kill anyone. a bad building can.

Jun 15, 04 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
soleproprietornow

e....my point exactly....which is one reason why our compensation should be greater...to reflect the kind of work necessary to put into the design / production / construction administration process to make sure that bad building doesn't happen. The other comparison that always p****s me off is the way people readily part with 7% as a real estate agent fee, yet will try to negotiate the a/e fees down to 4-5% on some projects....all the real estate agent does is fill out some paper work to list a property in MLS....hold a few open houses....show it to prospective buyers....and sit through a closing....they spend nowhere near the time the a/e team does....have nowhere near the same liability...and get compensated very well. and yes I know all about how the real estate fee gets split between listing and selling agents, and their brokers....but the a/e fee gets split up even more ways, to more people overall. OK, nuff bitching for awhile anyway.

Jun 15, 04 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
e

soleproprietornow, i hear you. i've never understood this either. relative to id, print and digital, it has also been my experience that architects under pay and over work their staff more than the other mentioned fields. there is also a greater difference in pay between those at the top and those at the bottom within architecture. within the id, print and digital fields, you know your boss makes more, but [s]he does not live in a custom built home filled with nice furniture and beautiful art while you struggle make rent.

Jun 15, 04 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

I agree totally. Real estate agents should be designated as part of an axis of evil, along with used car salesman and aldermen.

Jun 15, 04 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
soleproprietornow

John: I have no experience with aldermen, and agree that most used car salespeople are pretty sleazy....but I also happen to have a friend who sells both new and used cars....who is a really decent guy....so much so that I have given serious thought to calling it quits in terms of architecture, and taking a sales job with a toyota dealer. No kidding, I am serious. I drive a toyota, they are a quality product I would not be ashamed to sell, and with a semi steady income from that line of work, I could then dabble in architecture as a sideline, taking jobs only for clients who want to do something nice.
and e, I agree that there are far too many architects that expect long hours and low pay routinely, and take their employees for granted. That sucks.

Jun 15, 04 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

It was a joke - it’s a stereotype like Larry on Three's Company. I guess I need a better member for my axis of evil – I just didn’t want to chose lawyer because it’s cliché.

Jun 15, 04 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
soleproprietornow

John: I need to lighten up and just laugh I guess. Maybe if I get serious about that car sales thing I should invest in a bad rug and a screaming plaid sports coat, or a polyester leisure suit, and enjoy portraying the stereotype to the hilt. any yeah the lawyer thing is cliche, but only because it is a very common occurrence in that profession.

Jun 15, 04 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Frej

e: photographers are usually not hired as are architects and might only shoot once every two weeks, while having to spend money on getting clients and keeping up studio costs. I'm not saying photographers don't make much money, but most actually don't; especially the ones that hold their artistic spirit high(I'm a photographer myself, can u tell?)

Jul 12, 04 1:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: