Archinect
anchor

idp ?uestion

popeye

Currently my only job is teaching a basic architectural computer class at a university. I am in class aprox. 20hrs a week. Can this apply towards IDP units? If so which of the 16 area?
If no one knows off the top of their head, but have an idea of where I can find the answer that would help.

Also I am going to do some Habitat and take care of my section 16 units. Can a superviser at the H4H site sign off on your record sheet?

Thanks for your help archinect.....
"Keep coming back. It works!"

Jun 14, 05 9:54 pm

you should probably check with a local administrator or the national idp office.

i seem to remember that there were very few things that counted unless done under the supervision of a registered architect. most computer classes i've seen don't fit the bill.

may be mis-remembering, though.

Jun 14, 05 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
TED

you should look at ncarb NCARB TRAINING

but the answer is no unless you role at uni is as a full time faculty appointment.

"F" Full-time teaching or research in an NAAB-accredited or CACB-accredited professional degree program. 245 training units in Training Category D

To earn training units in Training Setting "F", you must be employed on a full-time basis

for community service....
FF Performing professional and community service when not in settings described in A through F. 10 training units in Training Area 16

for this as all idp issues you should consult with your state idp representative for interp.

Jun 14, 05 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Does IDP have state representatives? There goes another complaint to NCARB. But - I believe the answer is no - you cannot get IDP credit for that.

Jun 15, 05 12:04 am  · 
 · 
TED

correction ---

idp coordinators by state -- [via the aia web site!!]

see-- http://www.aia.org/idp_coordroster

Jun 15, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

10 units is only 80 hours - not worth much in the grand scheme of things.

Jun 15, 05 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Archi-F

from the IDP Coordinators page

~M. Neil Denari Southern California Institute of Architecture 5454 Beethoven Street Los Angeles CA 90066 310.574.1123 310.574.3801 [email protected]

Some how I think this page is out of date and not very useful. There are some other names that I could have pulled from the list - but, this is the most obvious.

My best advise would be call NCARB with any of your unanswered questions, and then complain when it takes forever for them to respond.

Jun 15, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

10 units/80 hours is what you need for the community service section (16).

so, actually, it is sort of worth it "in the grand scheme of things"

Jun 15, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Archi-F --

that list is both idp state coordinators and educational coordinators and i would also concure denari is probably the latter[most of who know squat]. you should try to find the person who is the coordinator for your state[from within that list -- has to be an AIA member and licensed]. in Illinois we have Frank hieztman [who is the first listed name of 6 from illinois] who is absolutely great-been involved with idp from the start and know all the suttleties. the state boards do get involved with your experience and ultimately say if you can sit for the exam or not so dont go dis'n them too quickly. if your in illinois -- contact heitzman with your questions.

might be good to look at IDP Coodinator Position Description which states

"The state coordinator must maintain a thorough understanding of IDP requirements, objectives and resources, and must be familiar with state registration requirements and examination application procedures."

Jun 15, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Actually I was pointing out the fact that Denari and the address that they associate with him was back when SCIARC was at Marina Del Ray - which puts it at least three years out of date.

I also know quite a few other people on that list who (1) don't realize they are state coordinators or (2) can't put anytime into the position and haven't done so in several years.

The majority of the list is out of date.

That's why I defer to NCARB. The other ironic thing - is that the AIA is responsible for assigning the State Coordinators, but NCARB and the AIA don't get along. So go figure - NCARB isn't even in charge of organizing a support group for their IDP program - and the people who are don't put too much effort into it.

Jun 15, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

oh yeah - and Denari no longer has any ties to SCIARC, since EOM stepped in. Although - if you're lucky - you might get him at a critque.

Jun 15, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
TED

there is only one state coordinator per state so you might still be mixing the educational coordinators with the state ones. if your in california i would imagine there is an active coordinator there.

contact your state aia office-not the local / regional ala [each state has one in addition to the regional offices]. if the state aia office cant give you the name of the ACTIVE idp state coordinator --- really bitch at them with copies to NCARB-- if they are ramming this stuff down architects mouths they have to support it. like i said, we are lucky in illinois as the guy is great and very accessible. i do know one person on the list for illinois has just been added as an educational coordinator last year so the list is as current as people update it.

ultimately i think ncarb and aia have more in common than not - protectionism.

the whole state to state registration boards is even more anoying than ncarb. where i respect the fact that in some states i need to understand earthquake design with special training -- i feel qualified to design any project anywhere in the us and its stupid to think that 10 miles from my house in gary, i am not allowed to practice as an architect because of the registration board in indiana doesnt trust its neigbors to the west who allow me to practice architecture based upon passing a national test.

Jun 15, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

AIA isn't really ramming this stuff down architects throats (IDP that is) remember, IDP is mandatory for interns but not mandatory for firms.

and no -

The number of State Coordinators is determined by the State AIA chapter. BUT - only one (or sometimes two) are funded by national to attend the annual IDP Coordinators conference - which (from what I understand) hasn't gotten more than 30 people to show-up in the past three years - out of which less then 15 are actually state coordinators.

Which REALLY - just makes the whole system laughable.

Jun 15, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

the linked list didn't have a coordinator for my state.
but i know we have one.

Jun 15, 05 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

wait... JANEK is the coordinator from USC? I had that guy for two classes (professional practice. ironic, huh?), and he never mentioned a word about IDP, or even licensing for that matter. Unless you count, "You need to know this if you ever want to become a real architect." That was a very poor choice on somebody's part.

Jun 15, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

because all the educational coordinators on that list usually do not know that they are on the list. Do you think Denari ever thought about IDP twice - ever??? Even when he was the director.

If the educational coordinators were to get updated today - it would say. Eric Owen Moss for SCIARC. And you know he doesn't give a damn.

They also have Tschumi listed at columbia as a contact (which again is old) and - I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what IDP is....

Jun 15, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
TED

1] try your state aia web site fo the coordinator name and contact details -- aia illinois is very good -- aia illinois even has a dedicated web site. ill idp webpage

2] your coordinator should be doing something like this [the hieztman page] and available for email queries

3]if you have someone form a university listed on the site [eduacational coordinator] who is doing squat - complain to the uni -- faculty members will most likely get extra $$$ or be waived of committee duties if they take on stuff like this as part of their teaching load -- get someone who gives a shit and is committed to idp.

4] you might try contacting archinect'r gracey kim who recieved an award last year for her mentoring efforts and have often solicited input on this board for input comments to idp including
which firms do/don't support IDP?
survival guide to architectural internship

Jun 15, 05 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Yes, surely worth something for fulfilling the community service portion of the requirements, but really a drop in the bucket as far as the whole 300 some unit total is concerned. You'll have to go elsewhere to do the rest.

Jun 16, 05 1:06 am  · 
 · 
poisondarts

educator coordinators are assigned by the school. you can clearly see which ones don't see this appointment as a priority.

Jun 16, 05 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
vinatieri

i am going through this samew f***ing crap at the moment, and as much as i loathe the entire idp/ncarb system the one thing that has been useful is their "contact ncarb" help system. there are two coordinators there that i've dealt with (charles and roenika) and they are pretty direct about your options...you should just state your issue as you've done here and they will get back to you.

personally, i wouldn't waste my time with anyone else, because once you have transmitted your council record to your state registrattion board, these are the same people who conduct the final review....

Jun 17, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

I wouldn't bother with any of the state coordinators. On the ARE forum website (www.areforum.org) at least one state IDP coordinator has repeatedly posted misinformation regarding IDP and the ARE.
I agree that NCARB's help service is the best idea - but get whatever they tell you in writing, as they aren't especially good at keeping track of information or staying consistent with it.

Jun 17, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: