Archinect
anchor

changing fields

K12

I graduated from a liberal arts college with a major in Psychology and a minor in Studio art and have worked in the healthcare field for the past two years. I want to make the switch into the architecture field. I have quit my job and I am taking the Harvard GSD Career Discovery class this summer but I am not sure if it is possible to get an architecture internship/job with just the summer class experience. I am hoping to work in a firm for a year or two prior to applying to MArch programs to gain some experience in the field and help improve my portfolio. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments regarding this course of action or the transition into the architecture field in general? Thank you.

Jun 14, 05 10:51 am
innov8rdi

i would try applying to some firms. you never know what kind of opportunities you may run into and it doesn't hurt to take a chance if that is what you are wanting to do. if it doesn't work, then go to school. either way you are taking steps to reach your goal.

enjoy your summer.

Jun 14, 05 11:25 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

my suspicion is that you will have a very difficult time finding a job without at least some schooling. i remember years ago when i finished with my undergrad degree (in which i majored in architecture) i had a difficult time finding a job because it wasn't a professional degree and at that point, i had no office experience. the only thing i was offered was a position as an office assistant for $9/hour which i took and after about six months they finally started to let me do some architectural work.

i am not saying that it is impossible to get a job, but it will be a long and unlucrative road to get to where you want to be. for now, i'd recommend that you focus first on getting into school. good luck.

Jun 14, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
K12

Thanks for the suggestions. I was worried that it would be difficult to find a job in an architecture firm, but I need to take calculus and physics classes prior to applying to a MArch program. I was also under the impression that in order to get into any of the top programs (Columbia, Princeton, Yale, Penn, GSD etc) I would need some background in architecture.

Jun 14, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: