Archinect
anchor

plexiglass & light fixture

cyn

can plexiglass be heated and bent into curvy shapes like slumped glass?

designing an interior light fixture--how close to a halogen bulb can you put this stuff before it burns?

are there code problems with a custom designed fixture? can i just buy the housing for the bulb that is UL tested? anyone do this before?

TIA

Jun 13, 05 7:29 pm
JK664

yes take a heat gun to it and bend it or a hair dryer works but will take you alot longer

Jun 14, 05 9:46 am  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

plexi will deform, but not in a regular way when heated...but it will discolor, permanently warp, give off noxious fumes and become very brittle. I don't recommend getting it very hot. I'd say that experimentation is the only way to see 'how close can i get it before ____ happens".

If you want to commercially distribute this fixture, even in small amounts, i would assume you'd need to prove it won't burn someone's house down...and that's what the UL is for. I have no experience in marketing a fixture but i can only say i'd want someone smarter than me (UL) verifying my design before millions of people put it in their kids' bedrooms.

Jun 14, 05 9:46 am  · 
 · 

i've had plexi 'slumped' over a form before, trying to get a display panel to be half-ellipse in plan. fabricators hated it. lots of do-overs and difficult to get exact because, when softened, the plexi doesn't deform evenly/consistently. they threw a lot of money in their bid because they anticipated these trials. but it came out well.

Jun 14, 05 10:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: