Archinect
anchor

NEOCON '05

J3

Hmmm...Not sure if anyone else is visiting chicago for this, but being my first time at this "event"/chicago, here are a few of my thoughts/comments.
I wore my "Architecture Sucks" shirt all day, getting the usual blank stares and the "what the fuck is your problem" looks...you know... but I regret not going to the Haworth party at Millenium Park (gehry's thing) with the shirt on! soooo many "cool designers" wearing their latest threads from NYC/Paris/Milan, it made me sick. I still remember my "all black" days, but this is what is totally wrong with this industry...it's almost laughable. Sure I like looking my best every now and then...but the air almost had a Paris Hilton vibe. Maybe I'll go nuts and wear the shirt again tomorrow with my flip-flops and my dirty Old Navy cargo shorts! Anyone else here? want to wear their Archinect shirt to the Mart?
BTW (checked out the suggestions on the chicago thread)...and
Although the grid @ Millenium pk is kind-a-cool in a gimmicky kind of way, the panels are just like everyother Gehry "sculpture"
Had a drink @ the Hancock bldg. which has a great view. Our group is staying at the Swisshotel which I recommend, and it's got great views from the pool on the 43rd floor.

Jun 12, 05 10:46 pm
BluLiteSpcl6321

SAMPLES. Bring back SAMPLES. That's all I heard all last week from the Int. designers upstairs talking to those going from our office. So glad to hear something different and much more exciting than what I've had to put up with here.

Jun 13, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah, I just got back and I didn't really know what to expect but I really had no idea it was going to be so schmoozy. I was by myself and would have really liked a buddy to make fun of the whole thing with me, but alas....by the end of the day I was just walking into showrooms going "scan me, and where's my free bag".

Ditto the people that looked like they were walking around in a Prada ad, I just dressed up a little because I was representing my firm but some people were over the top. Many of the salespeople in the showrooms looked like they had gone to some sort of special grooming school and had to follow a prescribed regimine of tanning and adding highlights to their hair. I almost felt like I was a charity case to some of them as my firm doesn't often get the opportunity to spec cool-ass materials like Maharam fabric very often.

The highlight for me was the Haworth showroom....it was gorgeous and just recently acheived a LEED Gold rating for energy efficiency. Sounds like a well-done for them all around.

Jun 14, 05 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

we aren't even cool enough to send anyone. last year i had to handle all the interiors reps when we were interior-designerless and the reps were all NEOCON! NEOCON! NEOCON! Showing me the "best of" and telling me about how fabulous it was! They were shocked that I didn't care, they caught on to my lack of enthusiasm.
I could only imagine how dorky and faded my Target duds would look.

Jun 14, 05 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: