Archinect
anchor

To Go or not to go (RISD)

e_bordenave

My names Eddie, I've been thinking about applying to RISD but I was wondering about a few things. First, I wanted to know is there a limit to applying Second, I wanted to know if it was too late to aply right now, third i wanted to know would it be better to apply and transfer after my sophomore yr of college and or just try it now after my freshman yr. I have a whole lot of work i can submit as a portfolio.....any suggestions? oh and my GPA is 3.5 if that helps....

Jun 10, 05 8:57 pm
eeayeeayo

My suggestion is: call RISD. They're the ones who know when their deadlines are and how flexible they are about them.

I would say that it is definately too late right now to apply for fall of 2005, but the deadline for fall of 2006 might be anywhere from this coming December to March - you need to call RISD and find out.

I don't understand your question "is there a limit to applying?" What do you mean? If you mean is there a dealine: call RISD and ask. If you're worried about at what level you can transfer into the program, or about prerequisites, etc. then: CALL RISD AND ASK.

Usually if you know that you're interested in a particular school it is best to transfer as quickly as possible. If you wait until after your second year you'll probably find that you need to repeat some coursework, and/or that you haven't yet taken some required courses for the school to which you're transferring - in which case: the later you transfer the more likely that you'll lose some time/need to spend an extra semester or year in school.

RISD is a design school and puts much more weight on portfolio than on GPA. A 3.5 GPA is a perfectly good GPA for applying to practically any architecture or design school - but not so strong that it will guarantee admission anywhere. If your portfolio is strong (quality is far more important than quantity) then you'd be a strong candidate, though admission for transfer students is often much more competetive than for new (freshman) students.

Jun 10, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
TED

call asap

with a bit of perswasivness you will be there come sept. there is always room for 1 more good student. just show up. dont start somewhere else and transfer. you will loose too much.

your the perfect candidate as you wont get $$$ --- so they will take you no strings attached either way.

Jun 10, 05 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

what about cornell school of architecture? GPA must be an important factor .. . .if it's so competitive to get in...

Jun 11, 05 1:52 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Yes, for an undergrad GPA would be an important factor for admission to Cornell. For a grad student - not so much.

Jun 11, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

Thank You for all your responses you've all be a lot of help, oh and by limit i meant is there a limit to how many times you can apply, but nevermind

Jun 16, 05 9:43 am  · 
 · 
rabbits

I'll be doing my M.Arch 1 at Cornell this fall and I can definately say, Cornell, like RISD (which I also applied to, got in, but turned down) places a lot more weight on portfolio than GPA/GRE. Personally, my GPA was ok (3.3) and I completely bombed the GRE. However if you have a strong portfolio that will cover a lot of flaws.

Also, you cannot underestimate the importance of your letter of intent. Schools will love you if you can convincingly articulate why you want to go to the school and what you can offer them. Get really specific but don't kiss ass; mention professors, publications and projects for/by the school. Yes, it's a pain to research and write a bunch of letters, but these people can spot a generic form letter from a mile away. If you have a vision, communicate it.

andrew

Jun 16, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: